OU812
I don't know why but this script works much better in fluxbox than in icewm. In any case, it would be better to do things in the debian way. However, their menu layout needs to be simplified.

john
secipolla
Hi John, I don't think there's any difference in Fluxbox to IceWM in this respect.
Honestly, the best menu generator I found when running IceWM was menumaker (mmaker). Unfortunately it's old and also quite complex so it would need a python programmer to update it.
Even it having templates from Debian 2 or something and Ubuntu 5.04 or the like it still works almost perfectly. I say almost because the single flaw I found on it was putting all the xlock and xscreensaver modes entries under"Utilities" and so crowding that menu. So a specific menu entry for those screensavers would be a good addition.
It started to output a couple of deprecation errors with the newer python but was still working ok.

I had two antiX installations, one was antiX/Debian Sid that I used to try whatever I had to try and it's the one my screenshots in the forum show but I had an antiX/Debian testing too which was kept very neat and for that one I used menumaker to generate the Applications menu (the same way as the script antiX ships; just output a file from mmaker with the -c option). It doesn't support icons in the menu but it was much more complete.

Only I used most my antiX/Sid install because no matter what I did I couldn't manage to break it __{{emoticon}}__
masinick
I haven't had much to say lately, but I just wanted to provide a quick update to say that my antiX core instance has been running superbly, and I've really enjoyed it, possibly even more than the usual antiX releases! The installer I used, the a1 version, was pretty raw, but once I got past that, it has been smooth sailing!

I used smxi today to upgrade my software, and there were only around a dozen changes since the last time I ran it. I did take the time to run the graphics display section, which experts know actually calls up one of the other scripts called by smxi and located in /usr/local/bin - sgfxi. I used that to reconfigure my display and it now takes full advantage of the capabilities of my system, incurring very little, if any, additional overhead.

So now antiX core is running smoother than ever.

I had an interesting discovery here. I installed LXDE and Xfce as my desktop environments. I wanted to compare each in a light environment. A lot of people laud LXDE as being the lightest and fastest lightweight desktop environment, and it is light and fast. But I have to tell you that a minimally equipped Xfce desktop actually comes in lighter and faster than LXDE - I am sure that Eriefisher would agree on that point; Xfce in a lightweight configuration is one of the lightest, fastest environments. Only a minimal window manager environment consumes fewer resources. Both LXDE and Xfce perform extremely well with antiX core, but my vote for favorite DE goes to Xfce, fast, light, stable, highly configurable, just the kind of environment that core enthusiasts like.