rokytnji
Acer Aspire One ZG5 Netbook. No tap on mousepad. No Microphone pickup out of the box with mhwavedit. Sound OK otherwise with Youtube and Music files. Wireless connection on wpa2 encrypted network via wicd.
Screen resolution fine also.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.2.2-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit) Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-full 01 February 2012
Machine:   System: Acer product: AOA150 version: 1
           Mobo: Acer model: N/A Bios: Acer version: v0.3305 date: 05/09/2008
CPU:       Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1595.878 MHz 2: 1595.878 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.11.3.901 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A
Audio:     Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 162.0GB (0.4% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD1600BEVT 160.0GB 
           2: USB /dev/sdb DataTraveler_2.0 2.0GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 2.11GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 79 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 152.3/997.1MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.28 
Some more testing notes. Found out I can load music from /media in / directory using xmms and gogglesmm.
LibreOffice opens and works OK. Grabbed my conky from /media/sda6 opening rox as root in terminal and dragged and dropped over to another rox window (copy) and overwrote stock .conkyrc. Since running live with no persistence, no big deal. Haven't found a broke application yet except for mountbox which was mentioned in original posting of this thread. Not needed any way running live. I was suprised to see all my Linux and Windows partitions in /media instead of /mnt though. No biggy either though. Was nice to get the unmount window when closing rox as root also. Nice touch.

oldhoghead
Site Admin
Hello anti,

$ inxi -F
System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.2.2-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit) Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-full 01 February 2012
Machine:   System: Dell product: Inspiron 700m version: -1
           Mobo: DELL SYSTEM model: 0D9593 Bios: Phoenix version: A07 date: 03/20/06
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (sse sse2) clocked at 1793.958 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device 
           X.Org: 1.11.3.901 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz 
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX 
           IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection driver: ipw2200 
           IF: eth0 state: up mac: 00:00:00:00:00
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (-) 1: /dev/sda FUJITSU_MHT2080A 80.0GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 4.34GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 68.0C mobo: 49.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 79 Uptime: 27 min Memory: 156.2/992.6MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.28 
So far only anomly is the ceni, but dl the new deb and works perfect, wicd was a pita though, finally got it to work, but would be a nightmare for newbie,
also in Menu->Applications->Preferences there are two entries for Windows Wireless Drivers.
Just started testing will post back later when done on this machine and then start with other laptops and desktop. So far I sure like what I see.
Nice job anti __{{emoticon}}__
edit: here's a screenshot of fluxbox
ohh

afab4
anticapitalista wrote:
Edit3: How to use the new_usb.sh script to install 'live' to usb stick.

1. Make sure you are not using auto-mounting
2. Plug in device and in a root terminal type fdisk -l or fdisk.distib -l or blkid to find out what your usb devices shows up as. Mine shows /dev/sdc1
3. Open a root terminal and simply type

new_usb.sh path_to_iso file.file_name.iso usb device path -b grub

where b=bootloader, options =grub (recommended ext2/3/4 or fat), or ext (extlinux for fat32) or iso (isolinux).

Real example on my box.

new_usb.sh /media/sda3/remasters/antiX-base/antiX-base-test1.iso /dev/sdc -b grub
Known issue: mountbox is broken

Edit: Expect to find lots of bugs.
Successfully installed to an 8GB thumb drive. No matter what I try though I can't make any persistence work. I tried to install the new kernel so I could get my wireless to work in home and root persist options but nothing will survive a reboot.

Edit:
i tried using the remaster application and it did save my mods including the kernel upgrade. I could not make any modifications to the boot menu stick though so was unable to make it boot to the newer kernel.
afab4
antiX Snapshot sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately i can't make it get any further than the root login box.
Do I have to modify the antixsnapshot.conf file first to reflect the upgraded kernel and vmlinuz?
skidoo
antiX-test1.iso downloaded Feb 8

I was unable to boot to ANY of the options Default/PersistHome/etc
"cannot find 'persistence' partition" of some such error message

Did I misread the install instructions? Am I expected to manually create a target partition on USB pen in advance and apply the label 'persistence' to it?

Maybe it isn't a"hybrid" ISO image and/or cannot be copied via UNetBootin?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
It is a hybrid.iso. But dd'ing does not allow persistence.
untbootin works as does the new_usb.sh script.

Does the iso not boot at all, or just that persistence doesn't work?

If the latter, you need to persistence up. see this thread.

live-persistence-t3566.html
anticapitalista
Site Admin
afab4 wrote:antiX Snapshot sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately i can't make it get any further than the root login box.
Do I have to modify the antixsnapshot.conf file first to reflect the upgraded kernel and vmlinuz?
You will have to put the new initrd.gz and vmlinuz in /usr/lib/antixsnapshot/new-iso/antiX before running the script.
skidoo
When the boot menu displays, none of the choices leads to a successful boot.
A message along the line of"partition 'persistence' not found" displays and I'm prompted to reboot.
kajukenbo
None of the Broadcom wireless modules (wl, b43, brcm80211) seem to load unless I remove /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta-common.conf

If course, removing that when booting from a Live CD is problematic at best...
BitJam
kajukenbo wrote:None of the Broadcom wireless modules (wl, b43, brcm80211) seem to load unless I remove /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta-common.conf

If course, removing that when booting from a Live CD is problematic at best...
Try booting with the"bp=9" boot parameter. This will set a breakpoint right before control is passed to the init system. With any luck, it will drop you to a limited shell where you can delete that file. You can resume the boot process with the"exit" command or by hitting <Ctrl>-d.

With a LiveCD, you will have to do this every time you boot. If you are willing to go the LiveUSB route then there are simple ways to make changes like this permanent that don't involve persistence or remastering (although either of those would work too). You could in theory do it with a LiveCD but you would have to make a new .iso file and burn it on a new CD.

Edit: You should be able to add root persistence to a LiveCD using a 500 Meg or so file on you current install. You would make a rootfs file (as explained elsewhere) and put it in a /antiX directory at the root of the file system. Then add"pdev=$DEVICE" or"plab=$LABEL" or puuid="$UUID" or even just"persist=hd" or"persist=usb" as a boot parameter.

The pdev, plab, and puuid are used to specify the partition containing the rootfs file. If you use"persist=hd", we will scan all non-usb non-removable drives for a partition that holds /antiX/rootfs. If you use persist=usb" then we will scan all usb drives instead. You can even say"persist=hd,usb" and we will scan all hard drives: internal, and usb.
Last edited by BitJam on 14 Feb 2012, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
plvera
For the broadcom drivers problem, in a terminal as root type:

modprobe -r ssb
modprobe -r b43
modprobe -i b43

then do ceni. This worked for me. I hope it helps.

Pedro
dolphin_oracle
Been out of commision for a while with some surgery. just got the new test iso. Got it booted up liveusb on my EEEPC. Here's the inxi.

demo@antiX1:~$ inxi -f
CPU:       Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1595.993 MHz 2: 1595.993 MHz
           CPU Flags: fpu vme de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx 
           fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est 
           tm2 ssse3 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dts 
demo@antiX1:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.2.2-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX-full 01 February 2012
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK product: 1000H version: x.x
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: 1000H version: x.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 1206 date: 10/17/2008
CPU:       Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1595.993 MHz 2: 1595.993 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.11.3.901 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@59.5hz 
Audio:     Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 00:22:43:56:88:b5
           Card-2: Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet driver: ATL1E 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:23:54:81:78:aa
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 164.0GB (0.4% used) 1: /dev/sda ST9160827AS 160.0GB 
           2: USB /dev/sdb Cruzer 4.0GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 1.67GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1000 
Info:      Processes: 72 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 55.4/2016.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.28 
demo@antiX1:~$ 
I am not running persistence. None of the boot options would work for me by default. I got to where I am right now (no-persistance) by simply removing the"blab=antiXlive" line from my selected boot option (in this case flux-no icons). I used unetbootin to make the liveusb. I'm thinking the persitence will not work with the unetbootin method.

Positives...sound works fine, so does wireless. xmms is great to see again, and libreoffice seems very nice. Haven't tried much yet. Will install later. can't check the camera as cheese isn't in the default liveusb. no prob, will install later. I'll try some of the new scripts after install.
dolphin_oracle
Got the test iso installed now. a couple of quick oddities...

1. the conky configuration in the installed mode includes the settings for displaying the persistence for the liveusb. This shows a null field in the conky window when installed (and also when running no-persistence).

2. in the installer, checking the show passwords box changes all your passwords and root passwords to ALL CAPS. Don't ask how long it took me to figure out what my password was!

3. in control panel, the button for wicd is not shaped properly compared to the other buttons. In my control centre, it was very small.

4. nice add on the wicd-client -t option!

5. not an antix thing, but grub identifies any windows installation as windows 7 in menu.lst. Just labeling it Windows would be nicer.

6. unplug usb option in flux menu did indeed unmount my usb stick.

7. all physical media mounted under /media is a little weird. used to /mnt for my permanent stuff.

8. I don't know why, but sound is louder now than with my previous installs. I can actually hear without headphones on (the eeepc's speaker is mono and pathetic to begin with).

9. on the livesub, my cpu speeds were pegged at the max. this doesn't seem to be a problem once installed. this may be related to the harsher needs of the liveusb rather than a bug.

looking really good for a test release.

****edit*** the cli fluxmenu (and possibly the other theme changers) script needs a graceful exit, or an explanation that you can control-c to exit the script. also, a shout out as to what your current theme is might be nice. that way if you mess up you can change it back.

***edit**** also,the wallpaper changer is the best yet!

***edit*** and the wallpaper is persistent across all installed flux themes. very nice!
BitJam
dolphin_oracle wrote:9. on the livesub, my cpu speeds were pegged at the max. this doesn't seem to be a problem once installed. this may be related to the harsher needs of the liveusb rather than a bug.
I think you mean 100% CPU usage. This should not happen. I would like to know which processes are chewing up all the CPU.

One way to get this information is to run the command:

# ps ax -o pid,%cpu,%mem,cmd --sort -%cpu | head
A copy and paste of the output of the"top" command might be useful too.

A LiveUSB might be a bit slow compared to an installed system if the usb stick is very slow but it shouldn't be consuming a lot more CPU. The only significant difference is the file system. The aufs file system used on a LiveUSB uses a bit of CPU because it stores changes to the file system in RAM. It will also use a bit of CPU to decompress the squashfs file system that is on the usb stick. If the system is not under a heavy load then the CPU usage should be low.
dolphin_oracle
BitJam,

no I meant the cpu frequencies. the atom processor clocks up and down between 800 mhz and 1.6 ghz. on the liveusb, it seemed locked at 1.6ghz. Once installed I didn't see this. Like I said, my system may have just been working hard. eeepc's aren't barn burners. The system was always responsive, and I didn't notice any processes hogging the system. I'll check the cpu usage and try your command though and post back. Might be tomorrow, I've got valentines day stuff to do yet.