codifies
I can't honestly remember when it was I fist heard of antiX but a good long time ago... and given the name I thought it was some kind of none GUI server oriented dirsto, after all its anti X(org) right ???

Then the best thing that's happened to many distros, systemd came along... no wait.... bare with me.... without systemd coming into being and without being able to find any actual design documentation, and given the number of Linux distros that morphed into systemdOS, I'd have probably never considered antiX - I suspect distros like Void and antiX and the few others that have decided to not become systemdOS have had a significant boost in users...

I habitually use at least two partitions, if only so I can use one to rescue the other if I do something dumb! for some time I've been using Void, but there has seemed to be some issues with the Intel driver (still get odd colour corruption in terminals and steam doesn't like the dri libs) and its real nice to see that steam on 64bit antiX is simply no drama, install the package and it pulls in all the 32bit stuff - like what should happen everywhere, but sadly doesn't seem to be the case!

While XFCE is my normal goto, I think I'll leave icewm for a while just to see how I like it, while rudimentary (I have to properly investigate yet) it seems to be quite good.

Investigating antiX as a distro for my alternate partition has been nothing but a joy, robust, lightweight, gets out of your way and seemingly just works... if only all distros could say the same...
rokytnji
Howdy and Welcome. While I don't game on computer <I have a playstation 1 with 50 cds still>

AntiX fits me like a good old set of leathers that just don't wear out. Have fun on the forum.
poorguy
Hello,

I like Antix 15.1 just for the fact it's a fun and no frills lightweight Linux Distro that works well on my old desktop computers.
Even on my new desktop computers it does everything the big mainstream Linux Distros do.
Cut and dry straight to the point get the job done Linux Distro and no complaints here. __{{emoticon}}__

The PoorGuy
skidoo
codifies, I skim/lurk the void forums and I nodded in agreement when I read your grousing post regarding policykit.
From me to you, here's another nit: both void and antix ship with autostarted ssh server as default (with ssh root login enabled, and no fail2ban).

poorguy, is 15.1 magical, it works perfectly for you? Even though I'm running antix16, I've kept an installed antix 13.2 partition because, idunno, because it still seems magically wonderful (or something).
codifies
@skidoo i can understand your irk with policykit or anythink *kit frankly, and dont get me started about the lack of granular security in dbus... but its the lack of planning / design behind systemd that really concerns me but we'll see what happens when they get bored with their laatest fad experient....
poorguy
skidoo wrote:poorguy, is 15.1 magical, it works perfectly for you? Even though I'm running antix16, I've kept an installed antix 13.2 partition because, idunno, because it still seems magically wonderful (or something).
Hey skidoo,

No antix 15.1 isn't magical it just works on most of my 10 year old hardware and doesn't present any problems.
Simple yes perfect no.
Haven't given antix 16 a try.

I"m a person who installs and uses Linux so yes antix 15.1 works well for me as a secondary OS.
I don't try and analyze everything that developers write into new Distros the newest and latest software ain't always the best and most always has problems.
I like staying with a sure thing when I find it.
You like antix 13.2 and keep it around as it works for you and since antix 15.1 is my first antix distro I will keep it as long as it is still supported.

I"m retired from the state department where I worked on Windows based computers and no longer care for doing any software troubleshooting which is why I moved to Linux.

I like antix 15.1 & Puppy64 (tahrpup) because things don't change much until needed as security fixes etc.
My everyday drivers are Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon.
I install and update and use Linux right out of the box and install additional software only as needed as my PC needs are very minimal.

Life is good.
The PoorGuy
ponse
poorguy wrote: it just works on most of my 10 year old hardware and doesn't present any problems
speechless __{{emoticon}}__ !
codifies
lol - 10 years.... pre history....
poorguy
codifies wrote:lol - 10 years.... pre history....
Got something agaist 10 year old computers?
poorguy
ponse wrote:
poorguy wrote: it just works on most of my 10 year old hardware and doesn't present any problems
speechless __{{emoticon}}__ !
And your point is.
BitJam
My main development system is over 7 years old and it was never top-of-the-line anything. I sure hope to get at least a few more years out of it. I've upgraded the CPU twice, the memory twice, the disk drives several times, and the power supply once. Time flies when you're having fun.
poorguy
BitJam wrote:My main development system is over 7 years old and it was never top-of-the-line anything. I sure hope to get at least a few more years out of it. I've upgraded the CPU twice, the memory twice, the disk drives several times, and the power supply once. Time flies when you're having fun.
Hey BitJam,

Exactly and it is fun.
Old computers are still very useful IMO and as long as it doesn't cost me anything or very little to upgrade them why not use them.

The PoorGuy
ile
hello codifies and hello everyone
icewm has so many features beyond rudimentary ; here, we go with fluxbox on antix. In the interest of we alike Xfce4.12.2 [4.12.1mx...] opinion Best available today. antix16 Do check repository for xfce4.10.1 or two available in Meta Package Installer to determine suitability.
You seem to fit antix by declaring antix leaves-out what you wish left-out [systemd] runs what you want it to run [steam without systemd, eh] on systems you have in-place. Antix can accept packages whatever you like [in stable, sid some limitation] especially toolsets for rescue. member Adrian is working with rescue toolset packages. What terminal do you choose?/recommend.
Get you started: to benefit antixforum on dbus.nosystemd and granular security elaboration.
Here too have a question about magical upgrading? If we have install antix15.1 on sid repositories, then is it a upgrade to go to antix16 install with stable repositories?
"...think it is..."? People not raising the hood and it still just works. Know it is? hardly. raise the hood it is so much, goodness. If you had need to swap or add favorite packages (how much?,) then you will appreciate the antix Control toolset of All and there found remaster Amazing. ! You wrote nice comments about antix. By appearance You place monument on antix. Please Remain investigating antix, comfortably reducing the hopping. Antix has multiple built-in dozen hopping experience with a click and opens the door to the vast linux repositories. Trial startup with openbox and turn on only the xfce that is needed, for example to taste, multiple looks. Thanks for posting in antix forum. Collection of old parts here. With the most modern OSystem on the planet. a smile every trial.
Here the Pre-Pre-History, then.
codifies
... nothing against old hardware, far from it, I was just imagining the look of horror at either canonical or red hat if someone were to demand their respective distros must work on such (perfectly serviceable) hardware....

@ile you write like an AI, probably your English is much better than me attempting your native tongue, but unfortunately while I understand the words you wrote, sadly I don't understand much meaning from the order you put them in .
poorguy
codifies wrote:... nothing against old hardware, far from it, I was just imagining the look of horror at either canonical or red hat if someone were to demand their respective distros must work on such (perfectly serviceable) hardware....
Hey codifies,

That is one of the really cool things about Linux is that it brings new life into old computer hardware.
There is tons of killer old hardware available for older computers on ebay / thrift stores / flea markets etc and can generally be had for a few dollars.

This is where the lightweight Linux Distros come into play and are as full featured as any of the big name mainstream distros.

I guess big corporations as Canonical tend to forget about where they came from and why they originally started.
I have really come to appreciate the lightweight Linux Distros and the Developers and Community that is behind them.

The PoorGuy