BitJam
skidoo wrote:Maybe you were referring to an 'MX' release?
Yes. Most antiX devs also work on MX.
(The initial update operation on a fresh MX LiveUSB has become uncomfortably large.)
The
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://mxrepo.com/snapshots/"
linktext was:"monthly snapshots"
====================================
should make that less painful.
masinick
I rarely have the"latest and greatest" hardware. Even when I purchase a new (or refurbished) system, it's usually one that's at the end of its sales cycle, so I can get affordable equipment. In my current collection, I have a 17" Gateway 2000 Model PA6A that I call my"portable". It doesn't have very long battery life and it's very heavy to carry around, but is has better than average sound, at least for a system that's now nearly a decade old, though probably not as good as systems that have speakers as good as a Bluetooth"sound bar" - I have a couple sound bars that I can drive sound through, including one we use with our family TV, or with our phones when we send Pandora music through it.

I have a 14" laptop from around the same vintage as the Gateway, a Lenovo 3000 Y410. It has a video camera, lacking in the Gateway, it's a bit lighter, has sound that's not as nice as the Gateway, but it's a more nimble, mobile kind of a system. Like the Gateway, it's getting pretty old, and at this stage, the lighter distributions run a lot better on these two distributions than anything"full featured" and"current". MX and antiX strike a great balance, and with the Meta Package installer and the other antiX and MX conveniences, both of these distributions can be easily custom configured to have the software I'm most likely to use without turning the overall experience overly sluggish.

My newest system is about a year old from the time I bought it, but probably closer to two years from product introduction, a Dell Inspiron 5558. It's not exactly a light laptop either, but it runs well and can handle just about any Linux distribution. I run a few of the more"full-featured" distributions, such as Fedora and openSUSE occasionally on this one, but MX-15 (an antiX and MEPIS community collaboration) is probably my most frequently used distribution on this one.

For some reason that I've not put my finger on yet- and so I have not entered a defect report until I understand what's going on, antiX 16 will freeze up when I use some software on the 5558, but run fine when I run others. I've had a browser freeze with it, locking up the entire system - using either Chrome or Chromium, but other times all has been well and I've not been able to consistently reproduce anything. Since it's the first time in a long time - test release or released distribution, that I've had any issues at all with antiX, I'm inclined to think that 1, it's probably an application issue, and if not, more than likely my own setup, rather than a product defect, but if I can ever isolate the cause, I'll certainly share my findings. MX and other versions of antiX have not displayed the symptoms, nor have I encountered them on other hardware.

Since 2005 when antiX builds (prior to the first release) were made available, I don't think, other than possibly MEPIS, I've had as long a run with as much overall success with any other distribution, with the possible exception of their"parent", the Debian distribution. All three of them have served me extremely well for a very long time.