skidoo
ile wrote:

a smile every trial.

Thanks, that will be a great wallpaper slogan!
In the meantime...

fatmac
I have a old HP with a P4 & 1GB ram that runs 32bit antiX 16 from a pendrive, including a usb wifi stick, it is a little slow on the internet, but that is down to firefox not antiX, but it is still a usable system. __{{emoticon}}__

I also run a 64bit pendrive antiX 16 on my (2002) 1.46 GHz & 1.5 GB ram - this laptop is my test machine, I also run OpenBSD on it from an old external 20GB 2.5" IDE HDD.
skidoo
Here too have a question about magical upgrading?
If we have install antix15.1 on sid repositories, then is it a upgrade to go to antix16 install with stable repositories?
"...think it is..."?

Earlier, I mentioned the word"magical" because I haven't been able to rationally pinpoint why my 13.2 install seems so special.
I wouldn't use it to surf the internet (browser is what, iceweasel v17?)... yet I don't intend to update/disturb any of its installed programs.
It's a time capsule, a momento. My 'rational' guess, today is this:
I learned so much while using it that now, when I occasionally boot/revisit it, my sense of empowerment is reinforced.

"antix15.1 on sid repositories..." I would expect to find great problems attempting to change to stable repositories.
If you decide to attempt that as a 'fun trial', I hope you will post back to describe the outcome.
rokytnji
Guess What Boys and Girls?

Code: Select all

harry@biker:~
$ apt-cache policy seamonkey
seamonkey:
  Installed: 2.40~mozillabinaries-1mx150+1
  Candidate: 2.40~mozillabinaries-1mx150+1
  Version table:
 *** 2.40~mozillabinaries-1mx150+1 0
        500 http://antix.daveserver.info/jessie/ jessie/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
I just found out Daves server now carries SeaMonkey browser. Happy Happy Joy Joy.
skidoo
if seamonkies are really brine shrimp, why do they taste like chicken?
poorguy

05 Sep 2016, 20:48 #21

Hey All,

I just did a clean install of antix 16 on an old desktop guess I'll play around on it and see how It compares to antix 15.1.
Last edited by poorguy on 27 Sep 2016, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
poorguy
rokytnji wrote: I just found out Daves server now carries SeaMonkey browser. Happy Happy Joy Joy.
SeaMonkey is excellent.
masinick
What is so wonderful about antiX is that you can build a very lightweight system from it that will run on old equipment, or if you have relatively new, modern equipment those same lightweight applications will also work very well - and fast. But you also have the option to modify what you choose to use because antiX has flexible tools that allow you to update or even change your applications and software configuration.'

Old stuff works. New stuff works. Light, simple stuff can be installed, but so can powerful, full featured stuff. You can use whatever you like, and you have the choice, and this kind of flexibility is what truly makes antiX a little-known treasure. I've written about it countless times, but I'm only one voice. Let your friends know how useful antiX can be, whether you have ten year old equipment, three year old equipment or something new that you just bought this week.
ile
hello codifies and everyone
skidoo Thank you for notice of the upgrading question. Always a fresh install. We Never consider possible upgrade in place. Never change repositories in place [up, not down, to initialize.] All that would be needless trial as well deemed to be unsound practice. A Fresh install is an hour away these days. so nice. Therefore the question is based on fresh installs / Change to ,, not upgrade in place. installs.bypasses the improvements to live employment and boils it down to a discussion of repositories choice (roll steady or roll gambling.) Now is seen poorguy suggesting his preference for sixteen over fifteen; sixteen is truly different fantastic. We felt that sense of empowerment when using mx-14wheezy and antix15sid, so we relate to that. Some systems, although capable, feel like we are passengers on a big steamer. There is the ones like antix16 that feel like we are the operator/ driver of the speedboat. When antix16 released there was no seamonkey in sid repository; it was in jessie. MX offers seamonkey. We are Happy to hear news of its availability; thanks rokytnji for saying seamonkey news in antix. Being so happy to see Eino active in communities yesterday make allowance for shout: Eino and dolphin_oracle and all icewm proponents please appear here to say what you wish codifies to know about icewm. It is the default. How is antix coming along for you there, codifies? What version of antix number is your focus? How is your progress with your adjustment to machine's amplification while you fine-tune and grow the antix system into that yourselves can integrate, codifies? How is it going? We hope you remain ready to aggrandize the capacities of antix."...after all its anti X(org) right ???..."right or wrong, debiantix. We swapped vga to dvi cable this morning; magnificent improvement resulted. happy dances and up high hand touch.
BitJam
ile wrote:...after all its anti X(org) right ???
No! We have nothing against X-windows. It should be pronounced like"antics" which means:
foolish, outrageous, or amusing behavior.
It is meant to be playful.
codifies
BitJam wrote:It is meant to be playful.
which is well and good....

except for the fact I think a lot of people will have passed it over assuming its something it isn't.

...while you might be tempted to say -"well thats their loss" I be prepared to bet its actually antiX's loss too.
ile
BitJam you've pared away the quotation marks. to quote original post first sentence:
codifies wrote: ...its anti X(org) right ??? ...
encircling codifies reinforce ambiguity of the topic title:
codifies wrote: ...people will have passed it over assuming its something it isn't. ...
hello codifies, antix did gain you. retain you? How is your antix-ing doing?
codifies
I'm struggling with understanding your English, but I think you want to know if I'm still using antiX ?

I'm dual booting Void Linux and antiX, mainly using antiX for OpenScad as there is no Void package and it looks like a monster to compile (along with its dependencies)

I also find steam less problematic with antiX

As I normally keep two different distros going at a time, I have every reason to think that antiX will be kicking around for a good while.

Void has the advantage in having daily updates and while not bleeding edge is very up to date and stable despite this...
BitJam
codifies wrote:
BitJam wrote:It is meant to be playful.
which is well and good....
except for the fact I think a lot of people will have passed it over assuming its something it isn't.
I agree with you this is an unfortunately situation. Perhaps on a par with Kool-Desktop-Environment.

I doubt there is going to be a lot of enthusiasm for changing the name. Even to something like antics-linux. The devs are busy getting ready for the next release.
skidoo
Wait, it's too soon for a next release!
Maybe you were referring to an 'MX' release? (The initial update operation on a fresh MX LiveUSB has become uncomfortably large.)
hope you remain ready to aggrandize the capacities of antix
joking: yep, I'm grinding my capacitors...

"Always a fresh install. We Never consider possible upgrade in place."
Well, I obviously misunderstood the translated text of your question.

Try again:
" If we have install antix15.1 on sid repositories, then is it a upgrade to go to antix16 install with stable repositories?"

The antix16 release contains newer/improved versions of various antix -authored packages (antix control center, menu manager, etc).
On your antix15.1 install, I don't know whether you will automatically receive those (via apt update).
If not, I say"yes, migrating to antix16 will benefit you, regardless whether you choose debianStable or debianSid repositories"