anticapitalista
Site Admin
rc1 now available for testing.

Main changes in the installer
A few new apps added (mpd, ncmpcpp, mpdpss script)
Upgraded to latest Testing.
MEPIS repos are not used by default.
Reported bugs from beta4 fixed
New Rox cheatcode for live use (desktop icons)

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Sorry no delta patches available

Be careful with wicd. If you upgrade it, it will break. It is a wicd bug in Debian.
plvera
Hi Anti:
I tried livecd on my Dell Inspiron 1750 (oldest box I have) and fortunately this time Antix booted up. However, it was only after choosing the failsafe option. None of the other options worked. I tried noapic during boot but that did not work either. Obviously, one of the things being turned off in the failsafe option is bothering the regular boot, but which one? If I install this version after a failsafe boot, it's likely that it still won't run, correct?

Otherwise, it looks great. I'll try the livecd on my other boxes to play with the wireless (which obviously was turned off for failsafe). I like the screen for the boot list too.
Great job!
Pedro
Great work .

For those who don't have cdrom and had issue with unetbootin try this work perfectly for me .

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Installation_Tips"
linktext was:"http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Installation_Tips"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
DJiNN
Hi all. __{{emoticon}}__

Just installed RC1 on a P4 but when it's going through the boot process, it hangs at"no floppy controllers found" (Just after it comes up with a line of partitions - hda1, hda2 etc). Fyi, floppy drive is in the machine but turned off in Bios....

I did some searching on the net re: deb testing and floppy controllers etc, but found nothing of any use. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and a possible fix/workaround... i can't boot into antiX at all at the moment.

Live CD works a treat though.... __{{emoticon}}__

Cheers.... DJiNN
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What happens if floppy is turned on in the bios?
DJiNN
Exactly the same.... just hangs around the same place.
rokytnji
You might try adding

Code: Select all

acpi=force
maybe to kernel line end in grub entry. I have a floppy drive on my laptop but I haven't tried the rc1 yet. The betas worked ok though with that kernel option added in my line in grub after install. Though I always add that option before I reboot after I do a install on my older Laptops. Worth a shot maybe.
Last edited by rokytnji on 30 Jan 2010, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
DJiNN
rokytnji wrote:You might try adding
LOL. Thanks for the heads up rokytnji, but i think you forgot to mention what i should add. __{{emoticon}}__ I did think of trying to add something to the Grub boot line, but was unsure what to add.

Oh, and i've also installed it again just in case it was the install.... no joy, same thing. __{{emoticon}}__
DJiNN
rokytnji wrote:You might try adding

acpi=force
maybe to kernel line end in grub entry. I have a floppy drive on my laptop but I haven't tried the rc1 yet. The betas worked ok though with that kernel option added in my line in grub after install. Though I always add that option before I reboot after I do a install on my older Laptops. Worth a shot maybe.
That's definitely worth a shot rokytnji and thanks for the help..... i shall go do it right now & get back to you with the results.... fingers crossed. __{{emoticon}}__

DJiNN
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

Got another laptop to test with, but it has the bloody intel graphics too!
Will only boot using vesa,
here are the particulars,

demo@mepis1:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host mepis1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5-rc1 Marek Edelman 26 January 2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T5450 (SMP) cache 2048 KB flags (sse3 nx lm) bmips 6653.58 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 1667.00 MHz (2) 1667.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.7.4 Res: 1024x768@71.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.6.1 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network:   Card-1 Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection driver iwlagn
           Card-2 Marvell 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver sky2 at port 2000 
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 200.0GB (-) 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA MK2035GS 200.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 16M used: 101K (1%) fs: rootfs 
Info:      Processes 99 Uptime 3 min Memory 80.8/2015.6MB Client Shell inxi 1.3.2 
I had already dl the first day so will wait on a fix, but will continue testing on this machine. Wireless works using wicd, with wlan0 and dhclient. Did get some error messages on boot up,

ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_iso_wake
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_resume_host
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_disable_irm
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_packet_received
ohci1394: Unknown symbol dma_prog_region_free
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_add_host
ohci1394: Unknown symbol dma_region_sync_for_device
ohci1394: Unknown symbol dma_prog_region_init
ohci1394: Unknown symbol dma_prog_region_alloc
ohci1394: Unknown symbol dma_region_offset_to_bus
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_alloc_host
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_selfid_complete
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_remove_host
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_iso_packet_received
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_iso_packet_sent
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_packet_sent
ohci1394: Unknown symbol dma_region_sync_for_cpu
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_selfid_received
ohci1394: Unknown symbol hpsb_bus_reset
There was also a modprobe FATAL error about the sound , have not found the exact error yet, may have to reboot and pause it to capture the error message.
ok, the error was modprobe FATAL: error running install command for snd_hda_codec_realtek

I have no sound and alsaconfig did not help.

cheers,
oldhoghead
DJiNN
Well, tried every different combination that i can think of, but it's still not booting. Perhaps when the updated RC is released that'll make a difference?
It seems to hang every time it reaches the same place, something to do with the HD & DMA Access or somesuch. .

Thanks for the help ... i'll install again when the new ones available & see if that makes a difference. __{{emoticon}}__

Cheers......

DJiNN
DJiNN
Crap!! Just realised - sgfxi - intel graphics? This old P4 is using intel Graphics... (i think) so maybe that's the problem. I'll try installing on my laptop (nvidia) to see how that fares.... just to see how it goes more than anything. __{{emoticon}}__
anticapitalista
Site Admin
New files available. Should be ok now.
plvera
Hello:
I've downloaded the new RC1 iso and tested the livecd on my old Dell inspiron laptop. As with the other 8.5 releases, it would not boot with the default options, but would boot with Failsafe. So, I decide to systematically test the options in the Failsafe boot line to see where the conflict was. I determined that"nodma" was what made Antix 8.5 bootable in my system. So I added that to the regular (default) boot line and it booted up fine.

Antix 8.5 could not detect my wireless pcmpcia card (with any of the 3 network programs). Is this related to the nodma option? I suspect it is, since my pcmcia ethernet card was also not detected. I noticed that in neither of the pcmcia cards, would the green (power?) button would light up, as they do with other versions of Antix. From some preliminary googling, I guess dma is some sort of way for the cpu to communicate with peripheral devices? (this is getting rather arcane for a perennial newbie like me). At any rate, it's at least partial sucess in getting Antix 8.5 to load in this really old box. Once it loaded up, it seemed to be fine (without internet, of course).

Any suggestion on how to circumvent this dma problem?
thanks
Pedro
secipolla
I didn't manage to test the rc1 yet (and TBH maybe I won't be able). But here's an updated translation for Geeqie.