DJiNN
Downloaded the new iso, installed to HD, no probs, but reboot gives the same probs as before for me.

It goes as far as eth0: then seems to sit for ages on -

Code: Select all

eth0: dma_rwctrl[763f0000] dma_mask[64-bit]
Then, when it finally comes out of that, it drops to BusyBox, says something about not being able to access tty; job control turned off - and just sits at an"initramfs)" prompt. Haven't got a clue what that's about. __{{emoticon}}__

I've tried changing all kinds of BiOS settings, to no avail... still get the same probs. Anyone else, or am i the only one?
Jstuck044
Has anyone had any issues 3D hardware acceleration? It seems that no matter what computer I try it on, Xorg reverts to the software rasterizer as discovered by the output of glxinfo and xorg0.log (This is with my two laptops with an intel and s3 chipset and the desktop that also has an intel chipset).

Is it possible that the mesa packages need to be updated?

Other than that, everything else in the new release is working over here for me.
masinick
I used smxi to grab the latest stuff. From the version that I had been running, I ran into the following obstacles:

1. smxi seemed to have problems at first closing slim, even though I had gone to init 3 prior to running it. Eventually smxi overcame this, but each time I ran it, two or three retries were needed before slim went away and smxi could proceed.

2. I had conflicts with the linux-firmware and linux-firmware-nonfree packages; removed both, then was able to proceed.

3. I did run into the wicd package issue; removed wicd completely for the time being; running wired right now anyway, but I can also get by for now with ceni, so the Debian issue with this doesn't bother me too much.

4. I seemed to have an issue, once I killed slim, getting slim and X working right once I finished. Rebooted and that issue went away too.

There may, therefore, still be a few rough edges for those upgrading from previous Beta releases of M8.5; nothing the veterans can't get around, but unless we have a clean upgrade path - and maybe smxi was not the best to use in this particular case, we may still want to visit or revisit upgrade paths from previous releases and earlier test releases before pulling the trigger on the release.

Other than that, once past these minor irritations, everything I played around with looks better than ever, as usual, and I think that things are getting close to final form. I would be hesitant to push too fast though until we are certain we understand more about the quirks of upgrading at this stage in the life of Debian Testing; it may introduce a few unexpected surprises right now.

John, anti, everyone else who has been helping out, great job as always. Keep it up, and keep telling your friends to try out antiX, as I have been doing. I have managed to get a few more new people trying out antiX - not sure if any of them have poked their heads in here or not, but those who have tried it seem to be enthusiastic about it, so once again, great work, keep it up!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
DJiNN, it might be connected with the tg3 firmware or the kernel.

Try deleting the tigon folder from the harddrive /lib/firmware by using the live cd (better rename it).

Or when using livecd, remove firmware-linux-free and then install.

Or using livecd, install another kernel (eg Debian 486 or earlier version) and then install.
You will have a choice of kernel at installed boot.
dolphin_oracle
I'm trying the antix2usb script from control centre. I have an unpartitioned usb stick. As soon as the script creates the partitions and formats, it appears to mount the drives and then the script fails. I tried killing halevt, but the same behavior persists. What do I need to kill to keep this from happening?

***edit*** never mind. I had to go root and kill the halevt daemon as well. it appears to be working now.
fabioc53
I have an old HP Omnibook XE2 with Pentiun III 650M, 256M RAM and some Intel graphics chip, which I use normally with a PCMCIA Ethernet card EN-210 and a CardBus USB2 Adapter (Conrad distribution, serial SD-PCMU2NEC101-4) in the two PcCard slots; the system works substantially PERFECTLY with the great Antix 8.2, that I consider THE operating system for my old laptop. Indeed I have there also a frugal Puppy 4.2.1 selectable form GRUB MENU, but I prefer by far AntiX (not forced to work as root, Synaptic, looks nicer and more options). Only point: I have not (yet) managed to put at work under Antix 8.2 an old printer HP930c, that works well under Puppy.

Now, I have tried the live CD with Antix 8.5 RC1, but it simply doesn't work. It gets stuck at a certain point after the indications:

ACPI: I/O resource pix4_smbus [0x2180-0x2187] conflicts with ACPI region [0x2180-0x2192]
pcmcia_socket pcmcia_socket0: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
pcmcia_socket pcmcia_socket1: pccard: CardBus card inserted into slot 1

tried to start the CD in failsafe mode, but the result was exactly the same; tried to remove the CardBus USB adapter, but got stuck again at the same point, this time after the single indication

ACPI: I/O resource pix4_smbus [0x2180-0x2187] conflicts with ACPI region [0x2180-0x2192]

hope helps improving before the final release of 8.5; I would really like to continue using and updating AntiX on my laptop.

Ciao
plvera
I have some good news to report. I had been struggling with all of the 8.5 livecd versions to run on my Dell Inspiron 1750 without sucess. Finally got RC1 to boot up with a nodma cheatcode in the grub but was Antix was not picking up either my ethernet or wireless pcmcia cards. Decided to go ahead and install to see what happens, and to my surprise, Antix 8.5 RC1 booted fine (without cheat codes) and the ethernet card was picked up. Still can't pickup the wireless card though. Still, this is pretty good news (although I don't understand why).

I noticed that when I tried to change screen resoluion using CC, that nothing happened after I typed my password. The same with Rutilt (in network) which also asked for password. The window comes up, I type in the password, window disapears, nothing else happens.

Any one else having this issue?
Thanks.
Pedro
nukem1977
I had the issue with command line not working in 8.5. Antix 8.5 booted fine for me on my toshiba satelite. The problem I had was with rox terminal it says it failed to launch.
rokytnji
Nukem.

Open Rox or Pcman File manager. Go to /usr/bin.
Look for Rox Terminal.
Left click on it and see if Rox Terminal Opens.
Jstuck044
Hey everyone, I have an update in terms of the direct rendering issue...

On the laptop with the Intel chipset, I found out that antix was defaulting to the vesa driver for some reason. Don't know why thought but after changing the driver to intel in the config, direct rendering worked out of the box. Now to work on the desktop and my other laptop.
Jstuck044
More feedback coming Anti

1.When adding new users, they get a desktop with virtually no menu. My suggestion: Take the menu file for icewm and fluxbox and place it into the /etc/skel directory.

2. Suspend button doesn't work at all in the logout dialog (not even the command itself though I have a thinkpad laptop. Have yet to try on the other computers). I haven't tried the hibernate function since I don't use it.

3. I did a system diagnostic with hardinfo and in the overview section, I noticed in the operating system entry that it said"Debian GNU Linux Squeeze/Sid". Being that antix is based on testing, is that normal for it to say that or is this release using parts from the sid/squeeze repos?

-Edit-
4. I found out instead of doing two separate options for logging out of icewm (which can confuse users), you can go into the preferences file and change the logout command so that it executes the antix logout dialoge. Changing the option for the sub logout menu to"0" in the file makes it so that you only have to click the logout button in the icewm menu to reach the antix logout dialog.
DJiNN
anticapitalista wrote:DJiNN, it might be connected with the tg3 firmware or the kernel.

Try deleting the tigon folder from the harddrive /lib/firmware by using the live cd (better rename it).

Or when using livecd, remove firmware-linux-free and then install.

Or using livecd, install another kernel (eg Debian 486 or earlier version) and then install.
You will have a choice of kernel at installed boot.
Hi anti, thanks for the help. __{{emoticon}}__

I did both the Tigon folder thing & also removed the linux-firmware-free before install, but neither had any impact on the end result (unfortunately). It still gets stuck around the same point.... only this time it's back to"no floppy controllers found" and that's where it sits & waits.

I would try the alternate kernel, but honestly, i'd probably screw it up as i haven't got a clue how to install Kernels & the like .... i've never been good with kernels, and changing them is way to tech for me. I wish this wasn't the case, but even after all these years of playing with Linux, i still stuff it up everytime! __{{emoticon}}__

I'm going to install on the laptop later today (using the same CD, just in case there are probs with that) so i'll let you know the results.
DJiNN
RED FACED UPDATE!!! (That's a"Blush" folks) __{{emoticon}}__

anti, it turns out the error was in the CD burn!! (DUH!!)

I always use CD-RW's as over the years it costs a small fortune to burn to CD's, and more often than not they get assigned to the shelf, never to be used again (With the exception of antiX i must add). So, as normal, i burned the betas to CD-RW (Always a slow burn - x4) and all was fine, and then did the same with the RC1, and of course had problems. But never did it occur to me (until this morning) to try a normal CD.

Anyway, did it, fired up the Live CD, installed and all is good!!?

So, much with embarrassment and a red face, antiX is now working fine, and the only thing that i did differently in this install (don't think it made any difference but i thought i'd mention just in case) was to install Grub on the root of the partition instead of MBR. (I'm using Grub 2). I really can't believe that it could be something so simple.

Lesson learned..... if it happens again, do another burn first (as slow as possible) on a normal CD. Thanks for your help & patience.

Now on to play with the RC....! __{{emoticon}}__
anticapitalista
Site Admin
fabioc53, have you tried acpi=off cheatcode?

Also, on the laptop with 8.2 working on, have you tried installing the latest MEPIS kernel and see if that works ok?

Enable the MEPIS 8.0 repo (if it isn't already), apt-get update (or reload in synaptic) and then install the 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp kernel. (Don't install anything else).

Once installed
#update-grub

should at the new kernel to the grub menu so you can boot into it on next reboot.
The old kernel will not be touched and you can boot into it as well.
fabioc53
Anti,
I have tried as you suggest to boot with the cheatcode acpi=off, but nothing changes, I get stuck anyway after the message

pcmcia_socket pcmcia_socket0: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0

(of course this time without previous acpi message). I guess it is not related to acpi (but I am not an expert... ) maybe it has to do with the recognition of pc-card slots __{{emoticon}}__

I will try installing the 2.6.32 kernel next week (quite busy now, need to rely 100% on my laptop for the next week-end).

ciao