fabioc53
I have played a bit more with my laptop and 8.5RC1 liveCD, and managed to have a regular start by removing the LAN card; I still got the message

ACPI: I/O resource pix4_smbus [0x2180-0x2187] conflicts with ACPI region [0x2180-0x2192]
pcmcia_socket pcmcia_socket1: pccard: CardBus card inserted into slot 1

but afterwards the system has booted properly. Apparently there is a problem just with my old LAN card, labeled"Argosy - PCMCIA Ethernet Card EN-210".
Hope it helps.

Ciao
impuwat
@plvera

I had the same problem tonight. Tried to install rc1 on my daughter's dell inspiron (8600). Install went great but no ethernet or wireless. Got a lot of"ipw2200: Firmware error detected" messages during boot up. Downloaded ipw2200-modules and installed with dependencies from another computer. All seemed to install fine (and no error messages during boot) but still no working internet. Time to retire...will attack it from a different angle tomorrow.
masinick
Upgraded my Gateway PA6A tonight; Linux firmware package dependency issue and the wicd packages still incorrect, but neither issue prevents the rest of things from working perfectly and those are current Squeeze volatile package change issues; would be wise to wait for Squeeze stability before releasing for this reason; hopefully this coming week after a heavy weekend of changes, Squeeze will settle down and we can assess release readiness.

Other than that, looks very ready to me.
keithpeter
Hello All

Live CD working fine on T42 laptop, 1400 by 1050 resolution detected. Wifi set up with the Control Center networking icon running a command line app - just selected defaults and typed in my wpa key.

Usual problem with 'scale' of screen - 1400 pixels on a 14.4 inch screen always looks way small with any distribution. I usually fiddle with the dpi settings.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
keithpeter,

what dpi setting do you use?

antiX-rc2 and final will have a dpi=XX cheatcode which carries over to install.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Forgot to thank you all for the feedback.

wicd is now fixed in unstable (and that version seems to work ok in antiX).
New dpi=XX live cheat feature added.
Other minor tweaks.

A major change is that sysv-rc is now configured for live use so no need for the configuration on first install boot.
It works on all my test boxes, but I'll need testers on other boxes, especially ones with slow CPU and low RAM. Just to make sure my settings are ok.

I'll upload a new rc in a few days (and for those with the correct rc -not the pulled one) a delta patch.

Anyone got antiX-8.5 running on a Sony Vaio?
masinick
My former spouse just took a Sony Vaio into the"Geek Squad" (overpriced, slow, money grabbing novices) from Best Buy. I had just mentioned to her the other night how well antiX would run on a box of that caliber... but now she will have to wait at least three weeks to find out.
dolphin_oracle
I've got an older sony vaio. I'll be installing on it shortly and I'll let you know.