* a few new themes for fluxbox and icewm and wallpaper

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Post comments here.
masinick
Sounds great, anti! The testing has been going great for me, once I got over some issues with one of the early builds. Both SimplyMEPIS and antiX have been terrific during this testing cycle. Beta 3 was awesome; I expect this one will be even better!
secipolla
I'l be quick 'cos i'm on dialup __{{emoticon}}__

Congrats, anti. This release feels really fine.

On to business, regarding specially pt_BR localization:
Starting with adddesktop.sh, anti please change the following:

Code: Select all

Lines 67 to 69
      <default>no</default>
      <item>no</item>
      <item>yes</item>
to:
      <default>não</default>
      <item>não</item>
      <item>sim</item>

Line 104
  if ["$TERMINALYN" ="no" ] ; then
to:
  if ["$TERMINALYN" ="não" ] ; then
and
antiX 8.5 beta 4

IceWM menu:
Área de trabalho>
    IceWM>
        Update Menu (Auto)=Atualizar menu (auto)
        Edit Menu (Manual)=Editar menu (manual)
    Configuração>
        PCManFM Icons=Ícones PCManFM
        IDesk icons=Ícones IDesk
Ferramentas>
    Sistema>
        Process Viewer=Ver processos
        Add .desktop Files=Criar arquivos .desktop
    Filers=Sistema de arquivos
        Rox Filer=ROX
        MC File Manager=MC
    Shells>
        Urxvt Tabs=Urxvt abas
        Root terminal=Terminal root

Fluxbox menu:
Sistema>
    Ferramentas>
        Process Viewer=Ver processos
        Add .desktop Files=Criar arquivos .desktop
    File Tools=Gerenciamento de arquivos
        MC Filer=MC # or even 'mc' to keep the same style as 'pcmanfm'
    Shells>
        Urxvt Tabs=Urxvt abas
        Root terminal=Terminal root
MEPIS Installer:
properly translated and customized to antiX (nice)
some things reverted to English (some more important than others):
-Usage Terms (Termos de Uso) text
-General Instructions
-Limitations (and the rest of that page)
-some tips: 'Repairing your installation', 'Communities make a difference', 'Additional system configuration', 'Information on the Internet' and 'Removable devices'.
*if possible, change defaults for keyboard and locale for pt_BR installer (this I reckon as an important change):
(keyboard): br-abnt2
(locale): pt_BR.utf8

Miscellaneous (maybe minor) observations:
live-cd in pt_BR gives an error message somewhat like 'Unicode keysum out of range = U+ffff; Falha ao carregar mapa de teclado' (obs:Failed to load keymap) *but the keyboard loads fine to br keymap*.
live-cd toram gives an error message somewhat like 'Umount unable to unmount /dev/cdrom: device or resource busy'.
I ran the installer from a system loaded to RAM but it dissapeared ('crashed') when starting to copy files.
For people having problems mounting and writing to NTFS, change dmask and fmask to 000 in /etc/fstab and it'll be fine on next boot.

Tomorrow I'll go to the public Internet center and catch up with the discussion and give more details.

Regards.
secipolla
I'm on dialup now (Windows 2000, this modem's driver is available only through Windows update).

Just like to add that the installation was fast as usual and the footprint quite small (circa 1,4 GB). After stopping some services from starting at boot time it uses 37 MB RAM (no proprietary video driver).

I installed and ran without network, just to mention.
At the first boot it asks if we want to set up dependency based boot (and defaults to 'no'). If possible to be already set up would be fine (i'm thinking about the people that ain't aware of the subject). It also asked for the time zone (I don't know if it was because I was offline).

Even though I didn't check the box 'System clock is set to UTC' in the installer, I guess it behaved as if I did check it, i.e., it set the time two hours sooner than the computer clock (which is at the local time). I guess this may be a bug in the installer that is present in antiX since I know it. *now thinking again, actually setting the time zone at the first boot did that to the clock so I don't know if it was set right from the installation.

At the first shutdown it took a while to stop wicd but the next shutdown was quick (in this second shutdown I had removed some services from the auto-start list through sysv-rc-conf including wicd so i don't know if it influenced).

From the default installation I could mount a NTFS partition only through the mounting tool in antiX CC but couldn't write to it. Then I set dmask and fmask to 000 in /etc/fstab and can mount the partition from the file managers being root and can write to it as a normal user.

I couldn't open rox as root neither by calling 'gksu rox' nor by checking 'run as root' in gexec, only from the sux terminal environment. Leafpad was fine (I think rox may be tricky when it operates as root).
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks secipolla - made the changes to icewm, fluxbox menus and adddesktop.sh

(The final line 113 of adddesktop might need changing as well)

I'll try to get the Mepis installer fully translated to pt_BR. It got updated and the wording has changed.

Livecd defaults to (keyboard): br-abnt2 and (locale): pt_BR.utf8 and this gets carried over to installation whatever is put in the locales section of the installer.

By default, system clock is set to UTC. Is that good or not?
secipolla
Thanks, anti.
anticapitalista wrote:(The final line 113 of adddesktop might need changing as well)
Line 113 for adddesktop.sh (pt_BR):

zenity --title"Arquivos .desktop" --info --text"O seu arquivo .desktop foi salvo como\n /usr/share/applications/$FILE_SAVEFILENAME.desktop"
anticapitalista wrote:I'll try to get the Mepis installer fully translated to pt_BR. It got updated and the wording has changed.
I noticed there were the mentions to ext4 and maybe some other things. If I have the means I'll try to track down the changes.
anticapitalista wrote:Livecd defaults to (keyboard): br-abnt2 and (locale): pt_BR.utf8 and this gets carried over to installation whatever is put in the locales section of the installer.
Then everything is fine.
anticapitalista wrote:By default, system clock is set to UTC. Is that good or not?
Since my hardware clock is set to local time this always make the system clock either 2 or 3 hours too soon, depending if it is or not summer time. I remember trying to set the hardware clock to UTC (GMT?) but that never went right. If I recall well a system only sets the proper time if getting it from an online server (I'm talking in general about Linux distros).
So at the moment I've got no position on this.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

Am posting from my antiX2usb install, from livecd to usb, install to usb took about 9 mins,
booted up excluding the rootfs, dropped me to cli, rebooted with rootdelay=10 but resolution was wrong (crappy intel),
rebooted this time with xdrvr=vesa rootdelay=10 and now have good screen resolution, will continue testing on this, also installed 8.5 b4 to hdd on my laptop, no problems there. Grub was written properly, no uuid's this time. This usb install was with persistence, will keep working with it, trying to get a handle on all the options, very slick so far.

cheers,
oldhoghead
rokytnji
Downloaded The 8.5.4 Beta Patch Anti to my Desktop Computer. Changed Permissions and cut and pasted to 2 gig USB drive to transfer over to T23 Laptop. I booted into AntiX 8.5.3 Beta with USB drive pre inserted before boot up. Showed up in pacman. I transfered patch to /home/harry . Note. In Beta 3 transfer speed was respectable. Took about 45 sec approx.

Went to unmount 2 gig Usb in pcman (right click in side pane. unmount). Got this error message
org.freedesktop.hal.storage.unmount-others no <-- (privilege, result)
I guess it wants me to be root to unmount drive maybe (Edit: yep it sure did)? Just posting the above for info is all. I aint sweating it.

What I am sweating is how to install the patch. Virgin Territory for this illiterate Biker.
Any body want to give me a hint on how to install it? I will google of course. But I trust you guys more than my own judgement. And I would hate to do a complete reinstall from a full iso:D

Edit again: Looking at this now

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Xdelta"
linktext was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Xdelta"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Download the patch file to the same folder where you have the file you want to apply the patch to
I am wondering which folder to move patch to now.

Looks like I misunderstood how a patch works. I will have to do a reinstall anyhows.
secipolla
The patch uses the 8.5 beta-3 iso to create the 8.5 beta-4 iso so one doesn't have to download the full file.
You must have the original beta-3 iso and the patch file in the same folder and run the xdelta command as shown on MEPIS documentation page.
rokytnji
secipolla wrote:The patch uses the 8.5 beta-3 iso to create the 8.5 beta-4 iso so one doesn't have to download the full file.
You must have the original beta-3 iso and the patch file in the same folder and run the xdelta command as shown on MEPIS documentation page.
Thanks secipolia. I in my infinite ability to mis-interpet things thought I could just install a patch in a working,running, install.

Doh, anyhows. I am now posting from AntiX 8.5 Beta 4 off of sda8, LOL.
I didn't have the heart to blow away beta 3 yet as I might wanna grab something off of there yet.

Anti, When I first booted up, I picked yes for dependency option for booting. Slim when it came up. Gave me a funny login screen, with no box to see login name and password. But I typed name and password and it looked like for a second it was gonna work. But I just stayed in slim instead of going into Icewm. Like it locked up. Ctl+Alt+Del was not working. Did a Hard push button shutdown. Rebooted and added acpi=force to boot option. Slim came up OK this time and got me into Icewm. I edited Kernel Line and added acpi=force to my /boot/grub/menu.lst (using AntiX 8.2 to boot everything)

Thanks to dolphin oracles post in Mepis Lovers, (for reminding me), iwconfig wlan0 power off and adding wlan0 in Wicd preferences for wireless interface. I did not have to downgrade wicd this time to connect. At least for now (this is first succesful boot) I will do some reading. Will try the USB persistant installer later after I finish tweaking install to my liking.

harry@biker:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host biker Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5-beta4 Marek Edelman 10 January 2010
CPU:       Single core Mobile Intel Pentium III - M (UP) cache 512 KB flags (sse) bmips 2399.35 clocked at 1197.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card S3 SuperSavage IX/C SDR X.Org 1.6.5 Res: 1024x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI SuperSavage 20061110 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSE GLX Version 1.2 Mesa 7.6.1 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports 1c00 18c0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network:   Card-1 Intel 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller driver e100 at port 6400 
           Card-2 RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver rt61pci
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (12.0% used) 1: /dev/hda ST980815A 80.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 5.9G used: 1.5G (27%) fs: ext3 ID:swap-1 size: 1.04GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 91 Uptime 31 min Memory 135.0/1008.3MB Client Shell inxi 1.3.1 
harry@biker:~$ 

Now for a Skype Install. __{{emoticon}}__
secipolla
This was written off-line so may be not much interactive.

anti, I've tested antix2usb ('br' version based on 3.0 alpha 06/12/2009 - English version is older), it worked fine but need some tweaks:
- I observed some folks on the forums had a misunderstanding about the system partition size. All the additions to the compressed iso go in antiX-data partition so the system partition size can be just 10 MB bigger than the iso itself (as stated in the help file). antix2usb-gui.py suggested 512 MB for me and that should be perfect for a 493 MB iso file (I made the partition bigger but remembered this detail afterwards). So the point, as I see it, is to bring back the help file and make the 'Help' button launch maybe leafpad with it. The following lines should then be altered by someone knowledgeable (I'm in WordPad so no line numbers)

helpButton = gtk.Button(stock = gtk.STOCK_HELP)
        buttonRow.add(helpButton)
- antix2usb-gui.py (br version) needs the following tweaks:

ANTI2USB_SCRIPT ="antix2usb.sh"
in place of"antix2usb-br.sh"
and fix the language to use for installation. It set menu.lst to lang=pt instead of lang=br even though I had booted in br environment, maybe lagopus or anyone that knows python could see why and fix. I think the following lines are the relevant ones:

# lang=xx
        lang = os.environ['LANG']
        if lang:
            lang = lang[0:2]
            #print lang
            args +="-c lang=%s" % lang

cmd = ANTI2USB_SCRIPT +"" + args
        return cmd
- antix2usb.sh (br version) needs some changes too. I may upload it when I go to some public Internet place but the changes are:

usage()
{
        echo"Cria uma instalação fromiso (frugal) em um dispositivo USB"
        echo"Opções (em sua maioria... opcionais)"
        echo"-v                   imprime a versão e sai"
        echo"-d                   executa o código de depuração"
        echo"-h                   imprime esta ajuda"
        echo"-I caminho-ao-iso    nome do arquivo iso a ser instalado"
        echo"-D dispositivo       nome do dispositivo USB no qual instalar o sistema live"
        echo"-n                   não formatar a partição (usar a primeira partição já"
        echo"                     existente)"
        echo"-f vfat|ext2|ext3    formatar a partição inicializável c/ o sistema de arquivos"
        echo"                     fornecido"
        echo"-s tamanho           tamanho da primeira partição (em MB)"
        echo"-F vfat|ext2|ext3    formatar a segunda partição c/ o sistema de arquivos fornecido"
        echo"-l rótulo            rótulo p/ a primeira partição (inicializável)"
        echo"-t tí­tulo            tí­tulo da primeira entrada no menu do grub"
        echo"-c \"cheat codes\"     códigos adicionados à primeira linha 'kernel' no menu do"
        echo"                     grub"
        echo"-L rótulo            rótulo p/ a segunda partição (dados do usuário)"
        echo"-T tí­tulo            tí­tulo da segunda entrada no menu do grub"
        echo"-C \"cheat codes\"     códigos adicionados à segunda linha 'kernel' no menu do"
        echo"                     grub"
        echo"-p                   adicionar códigos p/ habilitar os sistemas de arquivos home"
        echo"                     e root persistentes"
        echo
        echo"Uso simples:"
        echo"$PROG_NAME -I /caminho/ao/antix-iso.iso -D /dev/sdx"
        echo"Isto apagará todos os dados no dispositivo"
        echo"Use-o por sua própria conta e risco, ele vem sem nenhuma garantia."
        echo""
}
(just translated some untranslated terms), and

status=$(grep 'Instalação completa' $LOGFILE)
otherwise it gives a failed installation message even if it actually succeeded.

For the guys complaining about the window title for antix2usb-gui.py, put"antix2usb" in line 364.

I also think that maybe IceWM keys should be enabled (uncommented).
secipolla
Here are the files. My guess is that antix2usb-gui.py is reading the first part of pt_BR instead of the last part and thus setting lang=pt (this must be very simple but is beyond my current knowledge).
According with the README (LEIA-ME in Portuguese) one can benefit of a larger first ('system') partition by putting there more iso files and having only to edit GRUB's menu.lst to have a multi-boot USB device. It's this file I suggest to be linked to the 'help' button on the GUI (if it's correct, of course).
secipolla
anti, here I post a fixed version for lang=br.
As far as I can tell the only way to make the script work with all locales based on the system locale setting would be having an alias for the locales and the respective grub cheatcodes. Since antiX doesn't support all that much locales this maybe wouldn't be so big.
Anyway, I fixed it only for lang=br. If you like you can put the original set (posted above) to install with a pt_PT locale.
antix2usb-gui.py (br version), lines 215-220 changed

#        # lang=xx - commented out because works with some locales and not with others
#        lang = os.environ['LANG']
#        if lang:
#            lang = lang[0:2]
#            #print lang - original line below was: args +="-c lang=%s" % lang
            args +="-c lang=br"
secipolla
antixscreenshot (br version) needed the following change in line 215

antixscreenshot.sh
instead of antixscreenshot-pt-br.sh, otherwise it wouldn't take successive shots.

Also phonebookadd.sh line 32; phonebookremove.sh lines 17-18 (br translation)

Uploading fixed files.
secipolla
anti, maybe (just maybe...I don't like to keep suggesting things to crowd the menu but keep doing so) there should be an entry to"Start screensaver" (or something alike) under the 'Desktop' > 'Settings' menu entry.