secipolla
anti, looking forward to help people (specially the ones who install portable antiX) regarding software repositories I would like to know about some things.
8.5 beta 4 comes with MEPIS 8.0 repos enabled. A while ago you said that for antiX 8.5 it would be ideal to have MEPIS 8.5 repos (and disable it if using sid).
I reckon that MEPIS repos must be there due to kernel related packages and other things that I don't know (like firmware-linux packages being more comprehensive than Debian's?).
Could you clear some doubts on this respect?
Like if a system is installed on a desktop pc and is working fine and someone has a problem with linux-firmware packages then I could tell this person to just uninstall it if it isn't needed (and maybe even disable MEPIS repos). On the other hand these packages could be valuable in a portable system, right?
I imagine that MEPIS repos are a plus for Lenny based systems but would it be worth the eventual drawbacks to keep'em enabled in a testing one?

Regards.
prox
Hi,

just got done testing on my first system. Everythings working fine as far as i can see out of the box.
(Athlon XP 3200+,Geforce 9500GT, Ideq330p (nforce4), 2GB DDR, Belkin WLAN USB Stick)

As I am a fluxbox user, i liked the fluxbox menu in 8 better containing more programs in the first menu layer, but i will adjust that to my needs.

There is one request i'd like to make, if possible make the logout menu unresizeable, i accidently resize that menu once in a while.

Great job on 8.5. I will get testing my S9 tonight. Did somebody test a Atom+Ion combination yet?
secipolla
anti, since conky has already

Code: Select all

default_color white
default_shade_color white
default_outline_color white
maybe

TEXT
${color white}$sysname $kernel
${color white}Uptime: $uptime
${color white}${time %a %d %b %k:%M}
${color white}Monitors:
${color white}cpu: ${color white}${cpu}%
${color white}ram : ${color white}$mem${color white}/${color white}$memmax ${color white}- ${color white}$memperc%
${color white}swap: ${color white}$swap${color white}/${color white}$swapmax ${color white}- ${color white}$swapperc%
${color white}processes: ${color white}$processes  ${color white}running: ${color white}$running_processes
${color white}Space:
${color white}Root:${color white} ${fs_free /} ${color white}= ${fs_free_perc /}%
should be changed to

TEXT
${color}$sysname $kernel
${color}Uptime: $uptime
${color}${time %a %d %b %k:%M}
${color}Monitors:
${color}cpu: ${color}${cpu}%
${color}ram : ${color}$mem${color}/${color}$memmax ${color}- ${color}$memperc%
${color}swap: ${color}$swap${color}/${color}$swapmax ${color}- ${color}$swapperc%
${color}processes: ${color}$processes  ${color}running: ${color}$running_processes
${color}Space:
${color}Root:${color} ${fs_free /} ${color}= ${fs_free_perc /}%
so it would be easier to change colours in one go and still easy to change for individual objects?

~/.fluxbox/keys
Mod4 r :ExecCommand sudo rox
wouldn't it be better to use 'gksudo'?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
prox -"There is one request i'd like to make, if possible make the logout menu unresizeable, i accidently resize that menu once in a while."

Good idea, but not sure how to do it.

secipolla - made the changes to conkyrc, icewm fixes (The OpenCommand option I left commented out), Korsto-Dark is ok, added the antiX2usb -pt-BR version.
I'll keep the sudo rox option, as I don't see any advantage of using gksudo.

About the repos. It is almost certain that the MEPIS repos will be commented out as I really don't want the firmware issue to keep coming up and (new) users not knowing what to do. Users can still get MEPIS kernel upgrades by enabling the repos and being made aware of the possible firmware installation issue.
antiX is using less and less stuff from MEPIS and apart from the kernel and installer, the other tools are not really necessary or should be better adapted to antiX. (That is something for the future)
secipolla
There's no need to comment the OpenCommand option. If you leave

OpenCommand=""
it takes no effect. Only if you put anything valid between the quotes it shows up in the menu.
secipolla
anti, there were still a couple of untranslated items in Fluxbox's menu and I also removed double 'cli' mentioning (its already in the main menu).
Files are attached.
secipolla
anti, maybe you would like to set

use_xft yes
in ~/.conkyrc so it displays accented words (like 'sábado' - 'Saturday' in Portuguese) properly.
Then maybe change from 7 to 8 in

xftfont Kristen ITC-8
Also I made a cosmetic change to /usr/local/bin/antixccmouse.sh (br version), change '20' to '26' in line 19

<text use-markup="true" width-chars="26">
Added 'br' and 'nl' options in antixcckeyboard.sh

(the attached files may have to be made executable)
secipolla
anti, I thought that there could be a shortcut key to gexec in ~/.fluxbox/keys
People that use a lot the keyboard may find it useful (not that it's much complicated to set it up by oneself).

I added the internationalization options to ROX-Filer's, Screenshot's, Phonebook's and XMMS' .desktop files (but filled in only with pt_BR), so if someone installs, say, LXDE, the menus will be properly localized for these apps.

-edit: forget the XMMS file, I forgot to add the comment. I will do it soon and upload.
-edit2: uploaded correct file set now.
secipolla
The following lines in ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pb_inboard=antiX are obsolete now:
line 4
<icon x="222" y="214" label="Browser">/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox</icon>
line 10
<icon x="220" y="286" label="Email">/usr/bin/claws-mail</icon>

Setting Iceape browser and mail, it stays like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<pinboard>
  <backdrop style="Program">/home/sergio/Rox/Wallpaper</backdrop>
  <icon x="130" y="292" label="Files">/home/</icon>
  <icon x="32" y="128" label="Word">/usr/bin/abiword</icon>
  <icon x="220" y="286" label="Email" args="-mail">/usr/bin/iceape</icon>
  <icon x="34" y="210" label="Video">/usr/bin/gmplayer</icon>
  <icon x="124" y="128" label="Spreadsheet">/usr/bin/gnumeric</icon>
  <icon x="32" y="288" label="Terminal">/usr/bin/roxterm</icon>
  <icon x="122" y="212" label="Music">/usr/bin/xmms</icon>
  <icon x="226" y="132" label="Pdf">/usr/bin/epdfview</icon>
  <icon x="222" y="214" label="Browser" args="-browser">/usr/bin/iceape</icon>
</pinboard>
Also, to set basic icons, the following lines must be in ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons:

<rule match="/usr/bin/epdfview">
    <icon>/usr/share/epdfview/pixmaps/icon_epdfview-32.png</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/usr/bin/abiword">
    <icon>/usr/share/pixmaps/abiword_48.png</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/usr/bin/iceape">
    <icon>/usr/share/pixmaps/iceape.xpm</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/usr/bin/roxterm">
    <icon>/usr/share/pixmaps/roxterm.xpm</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/usr/bin/gmplayer">
    <icon>/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-mplayer.xpm</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/usr/bin/xmms">
    <icon>/usr/share/icons/SimplyGrey/scalable/apps/xmms.svg</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/usr/bin/gnumeric">
    <icon>/usr/share/pixmaps/gnumeric/gnome-application-x-generic-spreadsheet.png</icon>
  </rule>
Alternatives are:

<rule match="/usr/bin/abiword">
    <icon>/usr/share/icons/SimplyGrey/scalable/apps/abiword.svg</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/usr/bin/roxterm">
    <icon>/usr/share/icons/SimplyGrey/scalable/apps/xfce-terminal.svg</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/usr/bin/gmplayer">
    <icon>/usr/share/icons/SimplyGrey/scalable/apps/gnome-mplayer.svg</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/usr/bin/gnumeric">
    <icon>/usr/share/icons/SimplyGrey/scalable/apps/ooocalc.svg</icon>
  </rule>
Anti, I suggest the following lines are added to ~/.conkyrc:

# Needed if ROX or PCManFM desktops are enabled (along with 'own_window yes')
#own_window_type desktop
Maybe you would like to add an icon to screenshot.desktop (for example):
Icon=/usr/share/icons/Buuf-Deuce/128x128/devices/camera.png
Of course if it will be packaged then it's better to put an icon in /usr/share/pixmaps but like above would be ok for the release.

Image: Fluxbox with ROX-Pinboard
anticapitalista
Site Admin
secipolla, thanks for all the feedback. Those I hadn't noticed have been implemented.

I did notice the Rox desktop one. For final there is now a Rox cheatcode at grub menu boot and this is what it will boot into:

secipolla
Looks nice, anti.

I've changed one word in ROX-Filer's translation and also translated ~/Rox/Wallpaper application directory.

rox.zip is
/usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/rox.mo
Wallpaper.zip has
~/Rox/Wallpaper/Messages/pt_BR.po
~/Rox/Wallpaper/Messages/pt_BR.gmo
and
~/Rox/Wallpaper/Help/README_BR
secipolla
Going on with some details that you may have or may have not already noted.

In ~/.icewm/keys the comment after
key"Alt+Ctrl+r" sudo rox
must be removed otherwise it won't work (at least here).
BTW, rox just doesn't open any files/applications when opened as root (I remembered in my previous antiX install it was the same - maybe it worked sometimes - perhaps I should test it in Debian to see if there's any difference).

Both .icewm/startup and ~/.fluxbox/startup must correct the following line

#rox -pinboard=antiX &
to either

#rox --pinboard=antiX &
or

#rox -p=antiX &
it works the way it is but someone trying to open 'antiX' pinboard from the command line will fail...

I don't know how is the documentation that comes with the rox-filer package. But the manual at
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://roscidus.com/Manual/Manual/Manual.html"
linktext was:"http://roscidus.com/Manual/Manual/Manual.html"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false is only 169KB big. Maybe it could come in antiX. If you think so too, anti, then have a look at the original package documentation (/usr/share/doc files) to see if it's that light too because then ROX-Filer would be already configured to open it from the 'Help' menu icon.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Rox run as root has to be setup to open apps, just like as normal user. See the .config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME_types folder in /root. It is probably empty. (Usrs can copy over the ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME_types to the /root folder)

Will include the Rox manual
secipolla
Thanks anti, I've copied them all but didn't try yet to see if it's working.

I'm uploading yet another antixccmouse.sh. I've found that the number within the expression

width-chars="xx"
must not be lower than the characters in the message following otherwise the text will be out of place inside the GUI.
I also translated a window title (line 82). Everything very minor but if you want it it's here.
thinkpada21
Possible problem with Intel WiFi Link 5100.

Context: I am starting to look at potential replacement laptops, so I am limited to using a live CD.

Several candidates use the Intel WiFi Link 5100 (as reported by lspci). Researching this, it seems I might need to get a firmware package. Before I try to make a new CD with this firmware included, I wanted to check if anyone else has tested a machine using this WiFi chip set.

Also, any advice on the simplest way to make a new ISO with just this one file added?

Thanks

PS: My research also suggested that MEPIS 8 worked out-of-the-box with this chip set.