OU812
There already is:

favorite applications (start button) > logout > lock workstation

john
secipolla
OU812 wrote:There already is:

favorite applications (start button) > logout > lock workstation

john
That and the 'Lock Screen' option in exitantix lock the screen.
I was just thinking if there would be need to put an option that wouldn't ask for the password, like

Code: Select all

xlock -nolock -mousemotion -mode blank
or

xlock -nolock -remote -nice 19 -mode blank
like in earlier antiX versions.

Then it could go below the 'Conky on/off' entry.
secipolla
anti, regardless if the shortcut keys come enabled or not in Icewm there's one that must be changed.
Alt+Ctrl+h, which is now set for Htop are the keys IceWM uses to hide the taskbar.
DJiNN
Hi .... __{{emoticon}}__

Just installed Beta 4 (used the xdelta patch on beta 3) and all was going well until i did an update/upgrade, then i started to get dep errors, mainly it seems with one file. I tried to fix it by adding the unstable repos, then update and"apt-get -f install" but that didn't work either......Here's the offending part.........

Preparing to replace firmware-linux-nonfree 0.21 (using .../firmware-linux-nonfree_0.22_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement firmware-linux-nonfree ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-linux-nonfree_0.22_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/lib/firmware/3com/typhoon.bin', which is also in package firmware-linux-free 0:2.6.32-3mepis1
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-linux-nonfree_0.22_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) 
then i fired up Synaptic and tried the"Fix broken packages" and this is the result.....

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-linux-nonfree_0.22_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/lib/firmware/3com/typhoon.bin', which is also in package firmware-linux-free 0
It's the same package that i've been having problems with all along, and now i'm stumped! __{{emoticon}}__

Any suggestions anyone? Plleeease! __{{emoticon}}__

Apart from that, it's running very very well. Snappy & fast as always, and i have to say that IceWM is looking better & better with each release.

Many thanks.....

DJiNN
dark-D
djinn i used:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-linux-nonfree*.deb
and then:

apt-get -f install
masinick
Just curious, in the past, we had not only a script to install to USB, we also had a few update and upgrade scripts. Are we going that route this version? Don't have any fresh USB sticks right now - got a lot of stuff ripped off when I had to move out of my house and into a small apartment back in November, which has reduced the number and amount of things that I can test right now - too bad, I REALLY enjoyed working with the USB stuff in past releases, and I hope it continues to work as well - and I will be sure to work on it next time i have the equipment and extra sticks!
masinick
Thumbs up on this release; all is well!
DJiNN
ICE-M wrote:djinn i used:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-linux-nonfree*.deb
and then:

apt-get -f install
Hi ICE-M, thanks for the speedy reply, and you were bang on!! Worked a treat. __{{emoticon}}__ I keep on forgetting just how powerful ( and available) dpkg is..... one to remember in the future. __{{emoticon}}__

Have a great weekend...... going to go & play some more now. LOL!

Cheers!
Cuttlefish
Hey folks,
Thanks for posting the dpkg solution. That save me a lot of grief and frustration.

Dave
Jstuck044
Hi everyone!
I wanted to offer some feedback regarding the latest beta.

I liked the improved menus and the themes in fluxbox and icewm, but however, there were a couple issues that I encountered... While booting the livecd, there were errors about the buffer I/O which increased the boot time but nothing too bad.

The most serious issue is with the performance even when installed to the hard drive. During my test run, I found that conky was causing the windows to lag when being dragged (turning conky off resolved the issue). Unfortunately, the performance only improved somewhat on my old compaq presario desktop and laptop (the desktop uses an intel graphics chipset and the laptop uses an s3 chipset). The other serious issue is that mesa would default to software rastering on both the laptop and desktop (the dri modules were installed and glx enabled in xorg.conf).

Other than that, everything was working out okay. If anyone needs any additional information, Ill be happy to provide it...
masinick
My hardware is not sophisticated enough to come up with the kinds of hardware glitches that a few have encountered, though early on I had a hardware glitch with what appeared to be declining support on older equipment. I have not had a chance to verify it yet, but by keeping watch on the modules and packages that get included, it LOOKS like that issue was taken care of, and I am hoping to be able to get back to that old hardware as soon as possible to verify that, yes indeed, the hardware (or to be more accurate, wireless firmware) is now correctly detected, configured, and enabled. That part comes from Warren's work, and it looks like Warren now has it covered. Like I said, I hope to be able to get that old system back long enough to verify my suspicions.

Keep up the great work! Those who are helping to identify the hardware anomalies, thanks so much! It will help the end result be really good, even better than the fine work that is already represented in this beta 4 effort. Anti, you are doing wonderful as usual, John, Ice-M, Erie, and all of you awesome testers that cover so much more than I do, wow - that is why I love this community so much. Thanks from the bottom of my heart for all that each of you do!
secipolla
Regarding ~/.icewm/preferences:
line 3 should be

#       /usr/share/icewm/preferences
and not 'settings'.
I suggest adding as line 13

OpenCommand="" # menu file browser - ex. pcmanfm or rox
it can be very useful.
secipolla
anti, I installed again using antix2usb (GUI) and the language cheatcode didn't work. Using it as I posted in the first page just doesn't put any lang=xx cheatcode in grub's kernel line. (I had tested with 'antix2usb-gui.py -t' and it seemed to output the argument fine)

As a side not I tried to install in a vfat partition (because from my limited experience Windows only sees the first partition in the drive - in this case even the other script - antix2persist.sh, which creates an ext3+fat16 arrangement - would make no sense if it was to keep file interchangeability with Windows. That may be one reason why Knoppix installs on a single fat32 partition, even with persistence) and (kind of obvious now) it wouldn't complete the boot (unable to find mepis filesystem).

Anyway, maybe moving the argument

args +="-c lang=pt_BR"
(using pt_BR this time as it's the way antiX does when chosen from F2 in grub's menu) upwards in the file (I put it just after the -I argument) and commenting all the language part makes any difference? It seems fine with 'antix2usb-gui.py -t' but I didn't test an installation to see.
secipolla
antix2usb-gui.py (br version)
anti, I'm glad to say that it's fixed. Here's how it is (lines 197 to 226):

# The ISO
        args +="-I %s" % self.isoFile

#lang=pt_BR
        args +="-c lang=pt_BR"

# The target device
        args +="-D /dev/" + self.device +""

# bootable partition
        args +="-f %s" % self.fileSystem
        args +="-s %d" % self.partitionSize
        # data partition
        args +="-F %s" % self.fileSystem
        # persistence
        if self.persistence:
            args +="-p"

if DO_DEBUG :
            args +="-d"

# lang=xx
#        lang = os.environ['LANG']
#        if lang:
#            lang = lang[0:2]
            #print lang
#            args +="-c lang=%s" % lang

cmd = ANTI2USB_SCRIPT +"" + args
        return cmd
I've installed with success. Ziped antix2usb-gui.py attached (hope you don't get lost with all the changes - better to delete the old files __{{emoticon}}__ ).
secipolla
anti, if it isn't too trivial maybe you could check if IceWM's KorstroDark theme shows the terminal taskbar icon properly. In my system it didn't and I had to copy xterm_16x16.xpm from /usr/share/icewm/themes/AntiX-Blue/icons to /usr/share/icewm/themes/KorstroDark/icons.