anticapitalista
Site Admin
Now available for testing, antiX-M8.5-beta3 (base and testing).

* Hopefully installation problems from previous test releases are now fixed.
* Latest 2.6.32-1 MEPIS kernel
* Latest security updated iceape
* Auto-update fixed
* Menus should be translated into most supported languages (still needs improving)
* Roxterm background back to black
* 'remaster on the fly, then install' feature
* icewm toolbar tidied up
* fluxbox menu altered
* latest ceni
* minimal xorg.conf

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Post comments here.

Known bugs:

* No custom bookmarks in iceape
* antix2usb doesn't pop up it has finished in base version, eben though it has.
dark-D
on the first look:
1. no problems with the install.
2. i like the option to set up the time and fast boot on the first run.
3. grub has 5 entries. one with antix on dev, memtest, antix m8.5 using uuid, antix m8.5 using uuid in init3 and another memtest. both uuid options don't have nomce quiet nosplash vga=791. the last three are generated by debian as i see.
4. no colors in terminal when using su or sux. i loved that option.
5. i like the clean up of the icewm menu and toolbar.
6. in cli apps there is no browser
7. in icewm there is no run
8. imho fluxbox should be like icewm menu and in tools>filers> pcmanfm should replace rox because in fluxbox is the default filer.
8. the cpu usage and intel graphics are going good. 20-25% on youtube and 40-50% when running full screen.
9. i noticed that after i use the liveusb it screws with the tim, modifying the time in bios. i have to change it there to set it right in linux as well.
10. too bad the gksu remember password isn't fixed.
11. i like that blanktime and offtime are in xorg.conf now i don't need to add them myself
12. mplayer on first run closed with an error. after that it worked. cpu usage is 10-15% in normal rezolution and 20-25% in fullscreen, about 5-7% higher than antix 8.2 pretty good considering the problems with the last intel drivers.
13. same error in rutilt about freq 22
14. in wicd my wlan0 was in wired network and wireless network was empty. after edit wicd is seeing networks. ceni works. can;t test wireless because all the networks are encrypted.
15. i cannot use pon dsl-provider command anymore as a regular user. this is given to me Error: only members of the 'dip' group can use this command. need it because i sometimes unplug the network and i don't want to log on as root to do this.

i'll post some more if i find any. the rest, is all great, love the new antix.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

Bootup was good, no errors,

Tested every single entry on both ICEwm and Fluxbox,

The only anomalies I found were:

In ICEwm & Fluxbox

1) Menu>Applications>Network>Ceni not working, works from antxcc, edited /usr/share/applications as root Ceni.desktop file to reflect Exec=roxterm -e /usr/bin/Ceni instead of the default entry and of course did a udate menu(auto) to apply changes.

2) Menu>Applications>System Tools>Htop same proceedure as above

3) Conky not turning on & off (See edit at the bottom of post)

4) Mplayer crashes, sometimes 2nd restart will work and sometimes not, more unstable in Fluxbox

5) Menu>Applications>System Tools>ADSL & PPOE configuration root pw box comes up, after pw input window opens and closes

6) Neither Hibernate nor Suspend worked, guess I have to tweak some config files?

I did my install using vesa, am going to boot livecd and see if it will work with my intel, let you know later.

Love Iceape
I prefer rox to pcmanfm (prefer it as default) in Fluxbox
I do like the menu layout
Would like to see the antixcc on the toolbar.
Control Center should at least be on the main menu.
Would like to see gxine as default video player, much eaiser to config, and it works
Very quick to boot and apps open quickly, shutdown and reboot are quick also.
Very solid release thus far. __{{emoticon}}__

edit--> conky works fine, after mplayer crashed, then conky did not respond correctly.

cheers,
oldhoghead
Last edited by oldhoghead on 21 Dec 2009, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
rokytnji
Conky turning off and on for me OH. Full install again before I leave town.

From Tools>System>Process Viewer I bring up what looks like HTOP

Leaving Early. So no Mplayer test yet. Not taking this Lappy as It might break from the trip.
Just to show where I am at so far
Screenshot Link
url was:"http://i45.tinypic.com/2r6zbzs.jpg"
linktext was:"http://i45.tinypic.com/2r6zbzs.jpg"

Sakasa is gonna barf looking at my gimp/errr mtpaint skill set. __{{emoticon}}__
dark-D
there is something wrong with mplayer. if i try to reinstall it it doesn't work. but in base it works when i install it. now using vlc till mplayer will be repaired in debian.

i also tried base. the stick do not mount the same way as in full. and i found the overall experience slower than full version.

mounting in rox works like a charm in full version.

edit: also the mplayer in 8.5beta3 is freezing when running with no gui on mkv files. and with gui i get some errors sometimes when i run it.
Last edited by dark-D on 22 Dec 2009, 19:33, edited 3 times in total.
rokytnji
Ok, First thing. Thanks to Ice-M and dolphin oracle holding my big hands through the process. I think we came up with a sort of patch for wicd and wireless for rt63.

What I had to do. (in my simple way)

Code: Select all

sux pcmanfm
password, then enter

Forage my way to /etc/init.d/rc.local
Open rc.local by rightclick and select open with leafpad

Scroll all the way to bottom of document and at the very bottom hit enter twice to put some space between me and the script in that file.

At the place about 2 lines below everything including brackets I insert

iwconfig wlan0 power off
I exit and choose to save changes to file. Close everything down. Terminal, PCManFM, before I reboot.

I reboot with wired cable connection disconnected. Open Wicd. It is scanning but my router doesn't show so I hit Cancel. Then Refresh. Now it shows my router. Hit Connect. It connects. Kinda convoluted I know but it beats entering iwconfig wlan0 power off as root user in terminal everytime you wanna connect using wicd. Merry Xmas. __{{emoticon}}__
OU812
Some cli apps don't launch correctly from the applications submenu because their .desktop files need to be edited first. This is also a problem in other distros such as arch. We'll try and edit the htop and ceni .desktop files to fix this issue. Thanks.

john
secipolla
rokytnji wrote:Sakasa is gonna barf looking at my gimp/errr mtpaint skill set. __{{emoticon}}__
Did you spill ketchup on the screen?

anti, if you like, these Icewm themes are quite original and very well done:
url was:"http://www.box-look.org/content/show.php/WAR1OCK?content=116809&PHPSES"
linktext was:"http://www.box-look.org/content/show.ph ... b5e2d6f0b0"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
secipolla
Using beta3 live-cd IceWM
Regarding pt_BR localization:
- the Mouse Options app had the translation updated, I posted somewhere but ain't finding now so when I boot in hd I'll fetch the file.
- IceWM Control Center is with the English version (later i'll get all the files from my hd system so it's easier to locate them).
- antix2usb-gui.sh: even though it won't even launch for me (I don't have a USB device connected but it used to pop up a warning...) the file has a broken pt_BR translation (it was the first one I made). If lagopus doesn't update it further before 8.5 final I ask you to use the one from
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/script-para-instalar-o-antix-em-modo-persistente-no-pendrive-t2126.html"
linktext was:"here"
which, besides being the latest version (3.0) has a full pt_BR translation (both antix2usb and antix2usb-gui).

IceWM menu (I eliminated the capitalization):

Ferramentas:
    Sistema:
        Process Viewer = Ver processos
        Add. desktop files = Criar arquivos .desktop
    Filers = Sistema de arquivos
        Rox Filer = Rox # or ROX
        MC File Manager = MC
    Shells:
        Urxvt Tabs = Urxvt abas
        Root Terminal = Terminal root
Área de trabalho:
    IceWM:
        Update Menu (Auto) = Atualizar menu (auto)
        Edit Menu (Manual) = Editar menu (manual)
    Configuração:
        RoxPanel lig./desl. = Painel Rox lig./desl. # or ROX; I prefer to describe it rather than use the (English) full name
        RoxPinboard lig./desl. = Quadro Rox lig./desl. # or ROX; I prefer to describe it rather than use the (English) full name
        PCManFM Icons = Ícones PCManFM
        IDesk Icons = Ícones IDesk
Some .desktop files don't show the icon. I solved that in my installed system so I'll search what's the problem (maybe it accepts only .png and .xpm and no .svg but i'm not sure). I'll add 'Name[pt_BR]' for all of them which are missing and post back.

Still need to check Fluxbox.
secipolla
Fluxbox's menu is just like IceWM's
The only other issue I found is that Rox-Filer's translation is with the first version which had a little mistake. I think the updated file is
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/traducao-do-gerenciador-de-arquivos-rox-t2094.html"

The updated pt_BR.po for Synaptic 0.63 (present in beta3) is
url was:"http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=561853"

Also there's an updated Icewm pt_BR.po
url was:"http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=561620"
(already in sid's package).
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks for the feedback. All have been taken into consideration and changes have been already made to fix bugs.

Could testers try out the following.

* Burn a cd/dvd - gnomebaker
* Printing - system-config-printer
* Ripping audio - ripit or asunder
* Backup - Luckybackup
* meta-installer
* Cheese for webcam
* gtkam for digital camera
* mobile phone devices and whatever you youngsters do with them __{{emoticon}}__
secipolla
Here attached are the mouse config app and an updated translation for adddesktop.
icewmcc is
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post13743.html#p13743"
(the post before the last).

People say that ceni doesn't launch from antixcc and it was the same with mine 8.2. The command `roxterm -e ceni' works ok (besides `su-to-root -c /usr/bin/Ceni').
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

Blanked cd-rw and then burned iso using gnomebaker, worked as it should, you do have to blank (erase) the cd-rw prior to burn or it will fail.

Tried cheese out with an old MS webcam, resolution was not very good, pictures were very blurry, may be that it is just old, has anyone tried camstream? Saw it in the repos, but did not want to taint my testing install.

Will get to some metapacakge tests today, I already tried the Hp install worked flawlessly. Got my wireless printer going with Hp toolbox and it put an Icon on the toolbar.

Moble phones and ripping left to the youngsters.

Finished edits to antiX faq, still have not heard from SilverBear, and awaiting rc to polish edits.

cheers,
oldhoghead
dark-D
i'll like to apologise to john and everybody else if my comments on the new menus in public test1 and betas seamed that i was criticizing. all the comments were done with the intention of making antix more user friendly and with the best, logical and easiest placement of the items in the menus. the comments are not done as my personal preferences, i use my own menus if i have any trouble. the menus in antix beta3 are about 80% perfect, i'ved posted above what i noticed to be missing. happy holidays to everyone.
secipolla
Happy holydays to you too ICE.

I noticed that the apps in the 'Applications' menu show in English even if there are translations in the .desktop file. I don't know if it's an issue with the program that generates the menu or if it's because I'm running live and it would be different installed.
Just to compare I installed icewm-gnome-support which builds the menu with .desktop files too and this one shows properly in Portuguese but any app that has a compound command won't launch.