rokytnji
You might wanna try

Code: Select all

acpi=force
. Not sure if that will suffice as a solution though.
plvera
Thanks Rokytnji.
I tried that too, and it still does not work.

Pedro

Edit: I also tried the 8.5-base-beta3 Live CD and had the same exact problem in my Dell inspiron 7500. It just hangs after the ACPI messages.
DJiNN
Hi everyone. Happy New Year to you all! __{{emoticon}}__

I've been away for awhile and just come back to find that there's a new Beta! Downloaded, burned and installed...... WOW!!! This distro just keeps on getting better & better. Kudos to all the team for such great work. antiX is still top of the list for me. I really love the Meta-Install option..... KDE-Lite is wonderful. __{{emoticon}}__

Have a few questions though, if anyone here can point me in the right direction(s) for a fix, that would be great.

1: Still have issues with NTFS & external (USB) drives & keys. They're recognised but only allow RO access?? When i try and mount via root, still no joy. Checked fstab and all seems OK. I would imagine (Just a guess) that this could be a"Debian" problem though, because it's persistent across several (All Deb based) distros? I've heard some talk about"Policy Kit" problems and/or issues, but that was a while ago. Are there still problems in that area that could cause this kind of thing?

2: Repos - Currently, i'm running the Mepis 8 repo alongside Deb testing. Is there a wiki page somewhere (hopefully antiX/Mepis specific) that explains the best way to work with the repos depending on what setup one is after? (ie: Mepis/Deb Stable/Testing etc)

3: Lately (Again this is across different deb based distros) whenever i try and access certain apps as root through the cli (leafpad for instance) it just comes up with something like"Can't connect to x server" and then goes back to the prompt. I just can't get leafpad (& others) to run as root, making it very hard to change any files that need root access?? Anyone else come across this?

Once i get these few problems sorted, then i'll dig a bit deeper & see what else i can find, but so far, i'm loving the new beta. Looking forward to the final release.... i've got an old machine here just itching to get going again, and antiX is the perfect OS to do just that! __{{emoticon}}__

Cheers........
secipolla
3 - have you tried 'gksu leafpad' ? You can launch that from a 'run' box too.

2- at least with sid repos, Mepis repos once gave trouble to me.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hello again DJiNN.

1. Don't know and cannot test as I don't have NTFS. However, mounting other external usb formats work ok here via rox and/or pcmanfm.

2. I'll put together some sort of wiki/FAQ for this as many users ask.
For as stable as possible, only use the stable repos and the MEPIS 8 one.
Default for a rolling release (once MEPIS 8.5 is ready/released) will be Debian stable, Testing repos and MEPIS 8.5 repo.
For unstable, disable the MEPIS repo.

3. As secipolla posts, or use sux instead of su in a terminal
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Tried out the antiX2usb, using the anitX base, installed perfectly, but when I booted got a kernel panic, added the cheatcode
rootdelay=10 to the menu.lst, Works perfectly now.

cheers,
oldhoghead
DJiNN
secipolla wrote:3 - have you tried 'gksu leafpad' ? You can launch that from a 'run' box too.

2- at least with sid repos, Mepis repos once gave trouble to me.
Hi secipolla, thanks for that. Just tried using gksu and leafpad just freezes and does nothing. As i said earlier, this seems to be happening with various programs in different ways, across several distros, all of them Deb based?? I shall keep on trying to sort it. __{{emoticon}}__

I'm also having samba problems (Dependency errors) whenever i try and upgrade etc, which is why i was asking about which repos to use etc. I'll get there eventually! __{{emoticon}}__

Cheers......
DJiNN
anticapitalista wrote:Hello again DJiNN.

1. Don't know and cannot test as I don't have NTFS. However, mounting other external usb formats work ok here via rox and/or pcmanfm.
HI anti, thanks for the reply. It seems to be happening also in #!, Linux Mint 8, and a few others that i've tried, even in Sidux!! __{{emoticon}}__ If i find a solution i'll post here.
2. I'll put together some sort of wiki/FAQ for this as many users ask.
I think that would be very helpful. __{{emoticon}}__ Personally i'm just uncertain about whether i need to use the Mepis repos at all, or if i can just stick with Deb Testing? Either way i seem to be having Samba related errors (Dependency probs) when i do an update/upgrade.
For as stable as possible, only use the stable repos and the MEPIS 8 one.
Default for a rolling release (once MEPIS 8.5 is ready/released) will be Debian stable, Testing repos and MEPIS 8.5 repo.
For unstable, disable the MEPIS repo.
Hmmm, so if i keep the Mepis 8.5 + Deb Stable & Testing repos NOW, then it's OK to do upgrade/dist-upgrades etc?? I just thought that there would be some sort of confusion with so many different repos all offering the same/similar stuff? I'll give it a go though..... this is just a test install at the moment anyway, so i'll wait until it's all sorted before i install properly.

I'd love to learn some more about the Liquorix Kernels as well...... is there a doc page on the site about them?
3. As secipolla posts, or use sux instead of su in a terminal
"sux leafpad" as root in a terminal, does nothing at all....... ??? OK< scrap that....... i've just leart something here....... sux (instead of"su") in a terminal, does indeed work very well...... thanks for that one guys. __{{emoticon}}__

Now i'm going to play around some more as well as trying these things out in sidux to see if they work.

Thanks once again anti and a Happy New Year to you.

Cheers.......
secipolla
anti, I don't know if this is fixed in antiX (I ruined my installation while installing windows 2k). But the exoodles script as downloaded from the net has a minor error: in the codecs section the description is in a wrong order (in the description ffmpeg is #1 and flac is #2 but the commands are the other way round) and that confuses people.
The correct is (lines 692 to 695):

Code: Select all

${Comm}1${Stand}  - ${Comm}flac${Stand} Installs program to allow encoding of flac files.
${Comm}2${Stand}  - ${Comm}ffmpeg${Stand} ffplay multimedia player, ffserver streaming server
     and the ffmpeg audio and video encoder. Supports most existing file formats (AVI,
     MPEG, OGG, Matroska, ASF...) and encoding formats (MPEG, DivX, MPEG4, AC3, DV...)
I annexed a corrected file.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
A quick question to laptop users and beta3.

Does tapping work?
dolphin_oracle
thats a yes on the eee pc 904ha. two-finger scrolling works too.
masinick
Feedback on my smxi customized version of antiX M8.5 test. All issues that I had encountered earlier are gone, and this is so good that I cannot even remember if I installed the BASE or the FULL. I have customized it to my own interests and identity with smxi and plain apt-get and it is working great. Still have IceWM and Fluxbox around and the main core apps, so I can still run this distro light, but I can also hop it up and run heavier apps and it seems to do both really well.

I like our choice of going with Iceape for heavy browsing and Email in this release; I feel that in footprint it is actually lighter in MB consumed, yet possibly more feature full (with the exception of plugins, where Firefox is stronger), and certainly more feature rich than Claws or Sylpheed, though that, too, is a good Email client. Iceape has just suited my style for a long time and it still does.

Great choice to use smxi to extend antiX. I've done that and it works flawlessly for me. Just added the h2 favorites and ended up adding KDE Extras to the package selection, brought in fvwm-crystal as well, very good.
rokytnji
A quick question to laptop users and beta3.

Does tapping work?
Yes. It works on my Asus 900 with AntiX 8.5 Beta 3.
andrea
No tapping does not work for me (dell inspiron e1405) Samba glitch also....can not remove or update it.
Other than these little niggles it works great. __{{emoticon}}__ Eventually I would like to put the non-beta on my new eeepc 1008ha!