rokytnji
Applications, tried several fixes to no avail, then I reinstalled again and now everything is working properly, the ralink drivers are listed in /lib/firmware, so my thinking is that maybe you need to reinstall and start fresh as the possibility exists that you may have a faulty install and will never be able to get wireless or other issues resolved in the current state.
I am starting to think you are right. I am going to wait till the next beta release though. Since Beta 1 though. Wireless card fails to turn on with Kernel 2.6.31. Even with modules present. Also since Beta 1 I haven't had a working screenshot app in Icewm. Only works in Fluxbox. This below is my screenshot in fluxbox using 8.5 Beta 2 with current mininstall. So if it works in fluxbox. All I should need is the correct path to make it work in Icewm menu entry I made. Just don't know the path to give is all. I just installed gimp 2.6 to as a test. Both launchers showed up in Graphics menu entry as Gnu Manipulation so something is working right in Desktops.

dolphin_oracle
rok,

I've been playing around with the RT61, and I got mine working. I posted the procedure at mepislovers (link below).

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?p=206784#post206784"
linktext was:"http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthrea ... post206784"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
secipolla
For the screenshot try running (super+space) antixscreenshot-en.sh

Everytime you need to know an app name, look for it in /usr/local/bin for antiX's specifics or /usr/bin for Debian ones.
rokytnji
Everytime you need to know an app name, look for it in /usr/local/bin for antiX's specifics or /usr/bin for Debian ones.
There is not screenshot in /usr/local/bin (and to tell you the truth. I never knew to look in there).
I have always looked in /usr/bin though and no screenshot (name anyway) is in there. There is one called just screen and I didn't want to insert that into the menu since I am not sure what it is for.
For the screenshot try running (super+space) antixscreenshot-en.sh
Unfortunately my Ibm T23 laptop comes with no super/Windows key. __{{emoticon}}__

On a good note. Dolphins Oracles post on how to turn on and use the Wireless in Wicd was spot on and now I am posting via wireless through Wicd. To spread the info I can say these steps below work on my FULL INSTALL of AntiX 8.5 running a Belkin F5D 7010 ver 6 PCMCIA External Cardbus with a RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI in case anybody googles this.

Quote from Dolphin Oracle
I just dug out my old sony laptop. It uses a RT61-based pc card. I'm running from a live CD. WICD did not work by default with the RT61. I used the following steps to get the RT61 to work.

you don't need the quotes in the commands below, I'm using them to identify complete commands at the command line.

1. open a terminal and go root (su).
2. run"iwconfig" to make sure wlan0 is present.
3. run"ifconfig" which should show that wlan0 is not present
4. run"iwconfig wlan0 power off"
5. run"ifconfig wlan0 up" (at this point my lights started blinking)
6. exit terminal
7. run WICD. click on the Preferences tab. You should see that the Wireless Interface field is blank. type wlan0 in that field and exit preferences.
8. click refresh. your network (if broadcasting the essid) should now appear.

***2nd edit*** you may also need to select dhcient on the Preference/External Programs tab under WICD. The default dhcp will not allow me to connect to test web sites, but using dhclient works fine. I have the same problem with an Atheros card on another machine.

***3rd edit*** the ifconfig wlan0 up command is un-necessary, as wicd will bring it up anyway.

Hope this works for you. I have not tried this on a fresh install, just the live.
Thank you Dolphin Oracle. __{{emoticon}}__

Edit: I spoke to soon. Went to my Motorcyle shop. Rebooted Laptop, My Desktop comes Up. Conky shows wireless is up. I open Iceape. What! No connection. I open Wicd. It is trying to scan for my router. I look at the LED on my Wireless card. Nothing is lit. I Open Rutilt after redoing the saved commands in my Documents Folder called"Dolphin Oracle is the Bomb" Rutilt sees my router, But LEDs are still not lit on card so no results. I am a lot closer to getting this working. Never had a interface showing before so that is a positive step. Ceni is same same as Wicd and Rutilt. Without the card LEDs lit. I am nowhere. Back to the drawing Board. Posting this in AntiX 8.2 from the shop. Staying out of site from the wife.
secipolla
I think the"OpenCommand" entry in ~/.icewm/preferences is quite useful. I suggest it to open rox since pcmanfm is easier to browse (has a side column) and with the 'opencommand' one can open rox directly where one wants to (of course people that are at ease with the keyboard don't have this dificulty).

Also, maybe more at the aestethic side, perhaps Icewm could incorporate exitantix's commands in the toolbar.

Code: Select all

menu"Sair" /home/sergio/Documentos/Icons/custom/log-out.png {
prog"Bloquear Tela" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/actions/gnome-lockscreen.png xlock
prog"Hibernar" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/gnome-session-hibernate.png antixhibernate.sh
prog"Reiniciar" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/gnome-session-reboot.png sudo reboot
prog"Sair da Sessão" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/gnome-session-logout.png logouthelper.sh
prog"Suspender" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/gnome-session-suspend.png antixsuspend.sh
prog"Desligar" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/gnome-session-halt.png sudo halt
}
rokytnji
Created a Hardware Info HTML to look into. Default program to open it is Abiword. I can open it OK In Iceape. Abiword though just crashes when
I try to open it. I am a stubborn cuss. But I think this broke the camels back. I am gonna blow away the 8.5 Partition as I am experiencing too
many problems with this install, from udev errors on bootup after updating and upgrading to wireless, screenshot, and now Abiword. Something must
be inherently wrong with my install is all I can figure. I tried bros.
dolphin_oracle
rok,

you might need to issue the"iwconfig wlan0 power off". I got similar issues with finding scan points but they would not stick with the power management on. You'll want to add the power off line to a startup file (someone needs to chime in where to put it). power management on is the default case.
masinick
At LONG LAST, I am here with antiX M8.5 Beta 2, and it is back to working properly for me. An earlier test release, inexplicably, had rather significant performance issues, causing the combination of the X server and the Slim display manager to consume inordinate amounts of CPU; that issue, whatever it may have been, is GONE with this release and I am here, wired up, just fine on my Gateway PA6A unit, which is where I was experiencing the previous issues. Back to normal, about five minutes to do an installation over the top of the previous installation. I may do a fresh installation later to get the FULL effect of all of the changes, but for now, I am happy (and relieved) to see that this version is once again looking much better.

Will kick it around a bit and run wireless later to make sure that all is well. For now, I am real happy to use this with Iceape - I was the one to suggest in the first place that we consider using Seamonkey instead of Firefox and Claws for browsing and Email, so I am happy with what I've seen. I know that there are still details to work out, but great job so far! As usual, I am proud to be a part of this effort and I continue to promote and encourage others to test and use this distribution!