anticapitalista
Site Admin
ohh,

The problem line is this one:
cp: cannot stat `/etc/udev/udev.conf': Not a directory

I don't get this line on my install.

Could you try this.

Install as usual, but before rebooting, have a look in the /mnt/path to installed antiX and see if /etc/udev is there.
If it isn't, try copying the one from the 'running' livecd to the /mnt/path to installed antiX.
Unebootin don't seem to work with last two beta release , was working ok till pt-1 ,

give error at time of boot : can,t find mephis filesystem droping to minimum shell !

any help no cd-drive in my pc !
rokytnji
@1407.

I don't know your computer specs but on some older computers kernel 2.6.30.5 is having a hard time booting up on them.

Do you have mtools and P7zip-full also installed to work with Unetbootin?
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

Well I am posting from my install, got it to work by new install, copy intrid from livecd to install, the installed one is a different file size than the one on the livecd, and removed udev from installed and copied the udev folder off livecd to the install, then reboot and boot into the installed version, works like a charm. Weird Huh?

inxi -F from this install, here is the output:

Code: Select all

bobbylee@mepis1:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host mepis1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5-beta2 Marek Edelman 07 December 2009
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium M (UP) cache 2048 KB flags (sse2) bmips 3590.14 clocked at 1800.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device X.Org 1.6.5 Res: 1024x768@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.6 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports 1c00 18c0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network:   Card-1 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
           Card-2 Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection driver ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (2.0% used) 1: /dev/hda FUJITSU MHT2080AT PL 80.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 18G used: 1.5G (9%) fs: ext3 ID:swap-1 size: 4.34GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 76 Uptime 7 min Memory 94.4/991.8MB Client Shell inxi 1.2.7 
bobbylee@mepis1:~$ 
cheers,
oldhoghead
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Glad you got it to work ohh.

Which initd file did you have to copy over? The one on the livecd side or the one in /boot called initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp?

Still would like to know why the installer didn't copy the files properly.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Should have clarified that, when I booted the livecd, I copied the one from the /boot initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp to the installed version prior to booting the installed version,
( the installed one initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp was smaller) and also the udev folder was not on the installed version, so I deleted the udev file (from installed version and copied the /etc/udev folder (while running the livecd ) to my installed version. That is clear as mud huh!.

got to run do some Christmas shopping will get back to you later and if this is not clear will repost to clarify.

cheers,
oldhoghead
rokytnji wrote:@1407.

I don't know your computer specs but on some older computers kernel 2.6.30.5 is having a hard time booting up on them.

Do you have mtools and P7zip-full also installed to work with Unetbootin?

I created it in windows and it was working fine until 8.5 pt-1 , so i don't know but thank for help.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
If you have 8.5-pt1 working, then you can use the antix2usb script to save to a usb device.
secipolla
This isn't particular to beta2 and I imagine you're dealing with graver problems, anti. But I suggest that maybe Tidesktool in antiX could come without that part that asks to put a description to appear when the mouse hovers the icon created. At least every test I did with it it never worked so, unless it works and i don't know, this non-functioning feature could be stripped off the app.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

sorry to report this now, but I installed the pt1 and got the same results as the beta2, no /etc/udev, initrd diff file size and won't boot, so this was present in the pt1, I just never caught it as I did no install, but just ran the livecd.

I did not have a test partition available at that time.

cheers,
oldhoghead
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

Just to update you, after I used the 8.5 installer, when I booted into the beta2, there was no entry on the menu list, or icon on the toolbar for control center and no quit icon, I went to Start>Desktop>Icewm>Edit Menu (manual)>File>Open>Toolbar>Open and both the Control Center and Quit were highlighted in red, after several attempts to fix the issue finally added these and all is well now:

"Control Center" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/categories/preferences-desktop.png /usr/share/antiX/localisation/en/local-bin/antixcc-en.sh
prog"Quit" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/actions/system-log-out.png /usr/share/antiX/localisation/en/local-bin/exitantix-en.sh
I also added the same for the Menu entry
I have found no other anomalies with the install, I am testing all facets now and so far everything is working as it should, Iceape is a nice addition, cpu spikes are very small compared with iceweasel or firefox.

cheers,
oldhoghead
Last edited by oldhoghead on 15 Dec 2009, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
rokytnji
guinnea-pig test LOL Running Beta 2 Live off CD right now Anti.

Made minstall-antix executable by root, group, and other users using file permissons running pcmanfm as root. Installed it in /usr/bin. Closed pcmanfm as root. Opened it up normally and navigated to /usr/bin. Set open Terminal and Rox Terminal. Tried your chatbox instructions. Read out below.

demo@mepis1:/aufs/usr/bin$ sux
Password: 
mepis1:/aufs/usr/bin# minstall-antix
bash: minstall-antix: command not found
mepis1:/aufs/usr/bin# 
As a side note Anti. I made a 10 gig extended Partition again hda7, labled as /. Ready to try and do a install again though this time I wanna use AntiX 8.2 /boot/grub/menu.lst to boot 8.5 testing. Do I install grub entry to super block in root folder and grab the 8.5 menu.lst entry from there and copy and paste into 8.2 /boot/grub/menu.lst. This is virgin territory for me. I got three distros installed on this IBM T23 and I would hate to screw the pooch on this one.

Also was wondering if you wanted me to try to install 8.5 to hda7 with the min-install already loaded into /usr/bin and if that would make a difference from a full hard drive install boot. In other words, will putting min-install in live cd /usr/bin work without running min-install as root like I did above since it can't find the command. I will leave this laptop on and running live all day till I figure out what ya want me to do.

Confusing enough for ya LOLOL. __{{emoticon}}__
secipolla
I looked at the chat, roky, and sawthat anti asked you to put it in /usr/sbin (don't know if it makes any difference from /usr/bin). Also make sure the command matches the app name (like maybe it's minstall-antiX - with a capital 'x').
rokytnji
Thanks secipolla. That got the installer window open. The X did the trick.
rokytnji
guinnea-pig is BACK. Thanks to secipolla. I am now posting from a full install of AntiX 8.5 on hda7. This Lappy is now a Quad booter __{{emoticon}}__ . Anti. I am posting the terminal readout below. I had terminal running while I ran 8.5 installer. Don't know if it will help. But I figured I better save the text and post it.

demo@mepis1:/aufs/usr/bin$ sux
Password: 
mepis1:/aufs/usr/bin# minstall-antiX
Package `apache2' is not installed and no info is available.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
Error: device /dev/hda7 is not mounted
Done

mke2fs 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
655360 inodes, 2620587 blocks
131029 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=2684354560
80 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8192 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
    32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632

Writing inode tables: done                            
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 33 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
tune2fs 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
Setting maximal mount count to 100
Setting current mount count to 0
Setting interval between checks to 0 seconds
Creating journal inode: done
This filesystem will be automatically checked every 100 mounts or
0 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
ls: cannot access /lib64: No such file or directory
/bin/cp: cannot stat `/etc/mepis-network/wireless/*': No such file or directory
/bin/cp: cannot stat `/etc/rc.firewall': No such file or directory
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /mnt/mepis/boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(hd0)    /dev/hda
/bin/mv: cannot stat `/mnt/mepis/boot/grub/menu.lst': No such file or directory
sed: can't read /mnt/mepis/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/etc/adjtime': No such file or directory
Enter new UNIX password: Retype new UNIX password: passwd: password updated successfully
Enter new UNIX password: Retype new UNIX password: passwd: password updated successfully
sed: can't read /mnt/mepis/etc/aliases: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /mnt/mepis/etc/samba/smb.conf: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /mnt/mepis/var/lib/kdm/kdmsts: No such file or directory
mepis1:/aufs/usr/bin#