anticapitalista
Site Admin

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Testing/antiX-17/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... /antiX-17/"
====================================

New alpha to test of antiX-17-full (32 bit for now).
You will notice it no longer fits on a cd.
Default cheats disable wicd and user will need to use ceni to connect (wlan and/or ethernet).
Some debranded MX are included.
Luckybackup is locally built by me with qt5 and needs testing.
Jerry
Link not working here, gives me a 500.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Works ok here on firefox
Dave
Working ok for me as well
Shay
Download right nicely.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.10.1-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit)
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8+mod+20161220
           Distro: antiX-17.a2_386-full keerfa 19 March 2017
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Dell product: Latitude E6430 v: 01
           Mobo: Dell model: 0H3MT5 v: A00 BIOS: Dell v: A17 date: 08/19/2015
Battery    BAT0: charge: 90.0 Wh 123.6% condition: 72.8/90.0 Wh (81%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3320M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 1266 MHz 2: 2287 MHz 3: 1271 MHz 4: 1403 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108GLM [NVS 5200M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting,nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.5
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.1-antix.1-486-smp
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: d4:be:d9:86:d8:c7
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 24:77:03:df:1e:94
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 136.1GB (3.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: SanDisk_SDSSDA12 size: 120.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 16.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 2.5G used: 24M (1%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.69GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 48.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 155 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 263.5/3215.8MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8 
A little patience and it boots on this old thing.

System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.10.1-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit)
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8+mod+20161220
           Distro: antiX-17.a2_386-full keerfa 19 March 2017
Machine:   Device: portable System: Dell product: Latitude D630
           Mobo: Dell model: 0KU184 BIOS: Dell v: A15 date: 11/24/2008
Battery    BAT0: charge: 44.0 Wh 2953.0% condition: 1.5/44.0 Wh (3%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T7250 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2001 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.5
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.1-antix.1-486-smp
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
           driver: tg3
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:1c:23:46:fc:9f
           Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n driver: b43-pci-bridge
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:1f:3a:c4:db:67
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
           ID-1: USB /dev/sdb model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 16.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 2.8G used: 1.4M (1%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 126 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 82.6/3528.3MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8 
demo@antix1:~
That was a pleasant surprised.
skidoo
To avoid confusion with FontSize set via lxappearance, maybe cc"Set Font Size" should state"Set Font Scaling" ?

cc }} Maintenance }}"Snapshot" begs a verb in the label, ala"create Snapshot (ISO)"

cc }} Live }}"Remaster" also begs explanation.
For now (while there's space available in the"Live" tab), adding a button labeled"Remastering: helpdocs" which would open the appropriate antiX docs page in browser would be a welcome addition, IMO

cc }} Live }}"Edit Bootloader menu"
When it opens, user is displayed a blank gfxboot.cfg file.
Would be helpful to ALSO open a geany tab containing a howto/reference document, else (me) is left wondering...
sudo locate gfxboot
/usr/share/antiX/Boot_Menu/antiX-gfxboot.html
hmm...
I guess the following, drawn from /live/boot-dev/boot/syslinux/README is the relevant documentation.
So, I'm suggesting: paste this into a file, provide the file via"faq-docs-antix" package, and load it into an additional"Edit Bootloader menu" geany tab

antiX gfxboot Configuration README
======== Gfxboot is used by syslinux, during Legacy (non-EFI) LiveBoot ========
Gfxboot is highly configurable.  Some configuration changes require a recompile but very many changes can be made
by editing the gfxboot.cfg file.  In addition, the user can create up to 3
custom menus by making text files called options1.men, custom1.men, and custom2.men.
The gfxboot.cfg File
====================
This file is laid out in sections.  The sections are named like this:

[base]

The base section is processed first.  Only sections that appear in the layout= line in the base section will be processed.
They are read in the order they appear in that line.

NOTE: Options are"first come, first served" so in order to override an existing setting your new setting must either be
in an earlier section or come before (above) the setting you want to override.

Lines starting with the characters ; or # will be ignored.  You assigned menus to Fn function keys with lines like:

key.F1=help

You can assign more than 6 Fn keys but you are likely to run out of room if you do.
gfxboot.cfg Settings
--------------------
The majority of the settings affect colors and the position of elements on the screen.
Most, but not all, colors can be adjusted.

The term"panel" refers to the row of Fn Function keys near the bottom of the screen.
 You can move it around with panel.xoffset and panel.yoffset.  You adjust the gap between Fn keys with panel.gap.

The term"sbox" stands for"selection box".  When enabled it draws a box around each selected menu item in the panel.

Most of the gfxboot.cfg color options should be obvious.
Here are is a brief description of some of the less obvious options that were added:

timeout.fg              The color of the timeout icon(s)

timeout.leftside        Move the timeout icons to the left of  the selected main menu item

timeout.copies          Make this many timeout icons and cycle through each one successively

timeout.gap             The gap in pixels between multiple timeout icons

timeout.revframes    Run the timeout frames in reverse order

timeout.test             Don't erase timeout icons when they normally get erased.
                                   This makes it easier to take  screen shots show the timeout icon(s).

sbox.enabled            Draw a bordered box around each selected item at the bottom of the screen

menu.xoffset            Move the pop-up menus and their selected items this many pixels to the *left*.

panel.xoffset           Move the entire panel this many pixels to the right

panel.yoffset           Move the entire panel this many pixels up

panel.gap               The gap between items in the panel

main.rtl.xoff           Offset the main menu for right-to-left languages

Custom Menus
============
You can create 3 different custom menus using files named options1.men, custom1.men, and custom2.men. 
You would make corresponding Fn key assignments like this:

key.F4=options1
  key.F5=custom1
  key.F6=custom2
Custom Menu file Format
-----------------------
The file format for .men files is straightforward.  The first line is the title.
 The following lines are the label followed by optional spaces (not tabs) a back-tick character (`) and then the
boot parameters associated with the label.
Custom Desktop Menu
-------------------
TL;DR: don't use it

The Desktop menu can be customized by using a desktop.men file.
The format is slightly different.  There is no title line, just menu entries.
The title is always"Desktop" (or a translations thereof).
The last menu entry  for a command line interface will be added automatically.

You can set a new/different default desktop by putting its name in a file called:

desktop

This will add a new entry at the top of the Desktop menu.  The label will be whatever is set by this parameter
and the parameter will be the empty string.  The parameter string for the first entry in the desktop.men file will now be
used because it is no longer the default.  If there is an entry in the desktop file with a label that matches the default.desktop, it will be ignored.

Finally, the desktop.men file may get overwritten when you run the update-default-desktop program. 
Therefore we suggest that you don't use desktop.men as a 4th custom menu and just make use
of the 3 other menus that you can customize.

Predefined Function Keys
========================
Three of the Fn function keys were preassigned:

F10   Power-off/Reboot
  F11   Toggle sbox enabled
  F12   Show boot parameters

Enabling the F7 Save Menu
=========================
If a file called enable.save exists and is not empty then if the F7 menu does not exist or if it is set to"dpi" then it is 
replaced by the"F7 Save" menu. The purpose of this feature is to allow us to enable the"F7 Save" menu only on Live
systems on read-write media.

Default Menu settings
=====================
The default entry for most of our menus can be selection with a <menu-name>.def file.
The file must contain the parameters of the default entry in the correct order and with the correct spacing.
This format is convenient for setting the defaults to the current menu choices since the only information we
have to go on is the list of all the boot parameters.

For historical reasons there are two exceptions to this rule.
Both the language and the timezone must have the leading"<name>=" stripped off.
 So you would use"fr" not"lang=fr" and you would use"America/Denver" not"tz=American/Denver".
skidoo
Although I'm pleased to find"urxvt" pre-installed, I expect that lxterminal (or other TABBED terminal emulator) would be a more suitable, better received, default ~~ default, as specified within"terminal" configuration setting for rox-filer etc.

I similarly wonder how well (or not)"libreoffice writer" will be received as the pre-configured default"editor" specified within rox-filer etc. Considering the expected nature of the workflow, tabbed geany seems like a more appealing default.
skidoo
"cc }} Shares" tab has space available, so (as suggested for"Remaster" in earlier post)
I'm suggesting addition of buttons linked to the"droopy" helpdoc and the"connectshares" helpdoc

cc }} Networking
gufw is absent. Yeah, the version provided by debian stretch repo depends on webkit...
so, can antiX repo provide the (12.10-1) prior version?
skidoo
bug:
Upon changing iceWM theme, the conky display becomes a unreadable blur.
Same occurs upon switching to iceWM from fluxbox or from JWM.
`killall conky` is supposed to happen during the change, but isn't (isn't happening each time icewm is started)
skidoo
DesktopMenu
Help }} Applications }} firewall
The linked page is Ubuntu-specific & reads:"In order to install GUFW, you must have the Universe repository enabled..."

DesktopMenu
Help }} AntiX }} AntiX-Live-How-To
file:/usr/share/antiX/Boot_Menu/antiX-gfxboot.html
The page has a stray"F" character at top, and no sidebar navigation.

DesktopMenu
Help }}aAntiX }} antiX-Live-How-To
file:/usr/share/antiX/Boot_Menu/antiX-gfxboot.html
The page has a stray"F" character at top, and no sidebar navigation.

DesktopMenu
Help }} antiX }} antiX FAQ
file:/usr/share/antiX/FAQ/index.html
The page has unexpected (and probably unintended) layout, w/ nav"column" displayed at page top-right.

Pre-defined global keybinds:

#Control 0 :ExecCommand wingrid-close.sh
/etc/skel/.fluxbox/keys
/etc/skel/.icewm/keys
/etc/skel/.jwm/keys
recommend outcommenting this line for the default configuration because user can accidentally kill session
by inadvertently pressing that key combo when the desktop root window has focus.
SamK
skidoo wrote:Pre-defined global keybinds:

#Control 0 :ExecCommand wingrid-close.sh
/etc/skel/.fluxbox/keys
/etc/skel/.icewm/keys
/etc/skel/.jwm/keys
recommend outcommenting this line for the default configuration because user can accidentally kill session
by inadvertently pressing that key combo when the desktop root window has focus.
The use of this key-combo requires a deliberate action on the part of the user. If the user does not exercise due care and attention, or uses any key-combo without knowing what is the underlying action, they must accept the consequence of their behaviour. Disabling an integral part of a shipped antiX app to cater for the errors of a careless user is not to be adopted.
Dave
I would agree with skidoo, I can not begin to recall how many times I have pressed control 0 instead of the intended shift 0 trying to get a bracket.
SamK
Dave wrote:...I can not begin to recall how many times I have pressed control 0 instead of the intended shift 0 trying to get a bracket.
Your description implies you pressed the incorrect key-combo on numerous occasions. If that is the intended meaning, is there a particular reason you did not disable the CTRL+0 key binding yourself after say the first or second time and thereby avoid the action you did not want upon any subsequent use of the wrong key-combo?.
Dave
I did disable it (actually I have fluxbox mapped completely differently with control+modifier+key)

For example
Control + alt + enter is maximize
Control + shift + enter is max horizontal
Control + super + enter is max vertical
Etc

That being said I am thinking that I am not the only one who types a ( with two small keys bedside each other (shift and control) but I may be wrong saying that...
SamK
Dave wrote:I did disable it (actually I have fluxbox mapped completely differently with control+modifier+key)
So you avoided the result of your incorrect key-combo presses within your larger scale remapping of the key bindings.
I suspected you would not continue repeating an error pattern that produced an unwanted outcome for you, but it is not always a safe assumption to make.

Of course as you have shown, a larger scale approach is OK for any user who wants their own preferred key-combos which can include measures to counter any repeated key-combo errors they might make. For a user who foresees themself repeating a wrong key-combo, a small (even tiny) way is also available. A trivial edit to place a single # character in the keys file avoids the matter for them while leaving everyone else able to use the shipped app fully enabled.