anticapitalista
Site Admin
This should be near enough the final release,

get full versions from here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Testing/antiX-16/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... /antiX-16/"
====================================

Full versions are available for both 32 and 64 bit processors. Both iso files fit on a cd.

This is just a newsflash just to let users know that we think we are very close to releasing antiX-16.

Main changes from previous betas is that firefox-esr is now the default browser and we ship with a 4.4.10 antiX custom kernel.

Still using udev since eudev (or our build of it) causes some delays on newer hardware.

eudev is available in the repo, but we will not ship with it for this release.

We aim to fully use eudev for antiX-17 stretch versions.

anticapitalista, 14 June 2016, Thessaloniki
skidoo
This post contains my proofreading notes regarding the RC1 bootmenu helptext.

typo:"...linked pages that you can navigate through using the follow (sic) keys"
follow => following

typo: helptext typo in the"F3 select timezone" screen:
"to get at (sic) list of cities"
at => a

helptext screen for F4:
"from=usb ... finish booting from a LiveUSB"
The verbiage is unclear to me. Should this read as"finish booting to frugal install from a LiveUSB" ?
Also, no hint is provided as to why/when the"private ... change pw before booting" code would be useful.

helptext screen for F5 persistence options (hmm, the"persist details" screen):
The phrase"Static Root" here, it does not jibe with the helptext in prior screen
nor does it match any the label of any option line item presented in the"F5 persist" dropdown menu.
-=-
Also, the F5 helpscreen line"persist_home ... only home persistence" does not indicate whether this mode uses RAM, or is static.
(related note: user may wonder"static? Static somehow means 'changes are constantly/immediately written to media' ???)

helptext F6"select desktop program" screen:
The 3rd sentence on this screen, stating"This menu also..." seems entirely redundant, so could be omitted.
-=-
"Desktop codes that start with..."
? codes? Although the helptext might be hinting that these are 'cheatcodes', stating"Desktop names that start with..." might be clearer.
-=-
Also, I'm suggesting this more concise wording
"F6 choices labeled Rox- or Space- provide desktop icons, convenient for people just starting out."
-=-
"programs then you can... by typing" ==>"programs, you can... by typing"
If the helptext must present the term 'code' or 'cheatcode', this sentence would be the ideal place to do so.
As is, it states"program name", right? (er,"desktop name"?)
That's what led me to suggest using"names" (vs"codes") in 1st sentence, above.
-=-
suggesting the following, more concise, text:
"New for antiX: The F6 menu now also provides Dark theme and Light theme options.
Since light is the default," (insert comma)
-=-
The F6 helptext incorrectly states (and does so in bolded text):"...option to set the font size (dpi)"
The menu options are actually labeled as 1.1, 1.2 multipliers, not dpi.

typo: helptext screen titled"Main Menu Entries":
defeault ==> default
verbiage:"This will try..." ==>"This will attempt a legacy (BIOS) boot..."
(admittedly, looks like I'm splitting hairs here... but it seemed important enough, in context, to merit jotting a note)
skidoo
No bugs reported in this post.
I'm just describing potential user confusion (mine) regarding seemingly"unexpected behavior" related to the boot menu F8:save operation.

Fresh pendrive. During first boot:
-- select"toram" in F4 dropdown
-- select"Fluxbox" in F6 dropdown
-- manually append the content of boot options to include hwclock=local
-- select F8 Save
-- proceed to desktop session, conduct a normal shutdown, and reboot

potentially unexpected/confusing results during second boot:
The hwclock=local cheatcode which was previously entered manually into BootOptionsBox is not displayed.
The F6 dropdown label (still, again) displays"Default"

=======================

my notes regarding the"bootchart" cheatcode (6mos since i RTFM, these details may already be mentioned in the docs):

It generates (in var/log) a bootchart.tgz file and bootchart.png file (in var/log). It also generates a redundant copy of bootchart.png (in home/demo).
If the 'bootchart' cheatcode is activated (via F4 dropdown menu, or manually typed to bootOptionsBox) and bootmenu F8:Save is used,
a fresh set of var/log bootchart files will be generated during each boot. However, if the bootchart.png from a previous run is present in home directory,
the bootchart script will not overwrite the home -pathed png file.
Last edited by skidoo on 16 Jun 2016, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
skidoo
talking to self, or...
'Smells like a durn Bikeshedding Post'

One of the text lines displayed in conky begins with" / Disk:"
Uncertain whether it's a stray forward slash character, or is intended to convey"root filesystem".

-=-

Compared to antiX15, this release sports a different default iconset?
Now (suddenly) it's difficult for these ol' eyes to discern, in spacefm left pane, which hard drive partitions are mounted.
I seldom mess with choosing an alternate iconset, but am resigned to do so now, to regain the clarity of"a red X icon indicates unmounted".
anticapitalista
Site Admin
skidoo wrote: One of the text lines displayed in conky begins with" / Disk:"
Uncertain whether it's a stray forward slash character, or is intended to convey"root filesystem".

-=-

Compared to antiX15, this release sports a different default iconset?
Now (suddenly) it's difficult for these ol' eyes to discern, in spacefm left pane, which hard drive partitions are mounted.
I seldom mess with choosing an alternate iconset, but am resigned to do so now, to regain the clarity of"a red X icon indicates unmounted".
1. / is root file system
2. Exact same gtk theme and icons as used in antiX-15.
plvera
Live CD booted fine.
I was unable to drop to console. i mean ctl-alt-f1 just gave me a blank screen. ctl-alt-f7 brought the desktop back. Since this was a problem with 15.1 but not 15, I wonder what has changed?
Also, reboot not working. CD gets ejected but then just hangs and need to use the off switch.

thanks.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Pedro - give us some more details of hardware and version of antiX-14-RC1 (32 or 65 bit)?
plvera
Sure. Sorry I forgot the mention this was 64 bit version.

Here are the specs:

System: Host: laptop2 Kernel: 4.3.0-antix.3-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.5
Distro: antiX-15.1_x64-full Killah P 19 February 2016
Machine: System: HP (portable) product: HP Pavilion Notebook
Mobo: HP model: 80B0 v: 81.28 Bios: American Megatrends v: F.13 date: 08/06/2015
Battery BAT0: charge: 38.8 Wh 99.9% condition: 38.8/38.8 Wh (100%)
CPU: Quad core AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
clock speeds: max: 1800 MHz 1: 1300 MHz 2: 1600 MHz 3: 1300 MHz 4: 1600 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Carrizo
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,vesa (unloaded: fbdev,radeon) Resolution: 1600x900@0.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 157a driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.3.0-antix.3-amd64-smp
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 10 Mbps duplex: half mac: 94:57:a5:e2:d4:c9
Card-2: Realtek RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8188ee
IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 40:b8:9a:1b:00:08
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (2.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 13G used: 7.1G (58%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
ID-2: /home size: 798G used: 14G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
ID-3: swap-1 size: 0.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 45.2C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 175 Uptime: 44 min Memory: 477.5/7495.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0
Dave
@plvera
Have you tried any grub cheats to change the console resolution?
I cannot recall the cheat codes as I think they might be changed, however I have had where console does not display but x does. The only reason I knew it was out of resolution was because the monitor would display out of range when I switched to console.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
pedro - also try this for the cd hang when rebooting.

Use cheat bp=bash when booting the live cd and then you will be dumped to a prompt just after live init starts. Then use nano or mc to edit etc/modprobe.d/hang-on-shutdown.conf by uncommenting these lines

# blacklist dw_dmac
# blacklist dw_dmac_core

Then to get the cd to continue booting, type exit in the console.

For the other issue, does it happen immediately or after running the cd for a while? Also, can you boot straight inti noX with adding 3 at boot menu?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
pedro - just typing modprobe.blacklist=dw_dmac,dw_dmac_core at live boot menu might be enough
plvera
Dave,
I changed the grub code both at the boot line and at / etc/default/grub and it did not make any difference.
I checked with hwinfo --framebuffer and vbeinfo (from grub) that the resolution was supported. Used gfxpayload=1600x900.
Not sure what to try next. I noticed this problem with antix 15.1 and with the live cd (16 RC1). Was not an issue with antix 15.

I'll try Anti's suggestions for the hang at halt/reboot.

thanks

P.S. @rustcollector: thanks for the info. What a weird bug!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
It might be the intel driver. antiX-15.1 and antiX-16 use a later version
skidoo
The default desktop theme has a usability issue specific to GTK3 apps (synaptic, roxterm) ~~ no border
(nor contrasting background color) is rendered for checkbox input fields. Unticked inputs are essentially invisible.

Two quick examples:
Launch roxterm. Open a second roxterm tab. Click 'X' to close the window (and observe the resulting dialogbox).
Launch synaptic. Visit the multi-tabbed"preferences" box (and note the"invisible" checkbox input elements).
dolphin_oracle
skidoo wrote:The default desktop theme has a usability issue specific to GTK3 apps (synaptic, roxterm) ~~ no border
(nor contrasting background color) is rendered for checkbox input fields. Unticked inputs are essentially invisible.

Two quick examples:
Launch roxterm. Open a second roxterm tab. Click 'X' to close the window (and observe the resulting dialogbox).
Launch synaptic. Visit the multi-tabbed"preferences" box (and note the"invisible" checkbox input elements).
skiddoo there is definently something going on with your install. Between these comments and your comments about the icons, there is something really wrong. Here's a screenshot of mine, default everything.