dolphin_oracle
masinick wrote:If we've downloaded a previous Alpha or Beta image and continuously updated, other than identification strings, should we have essentially the same software?

I would avoid the alphas.

the beta2 is close for the most part. there have been changes to the live init system, control center, and udev/eudev has also gone back and forth a few times (currently udev on the latest RC1). also some changes to how we handle intel video drivers.
kozaki
dolphin_oracle wrote:I would avoid the alphas.

the beta2 is close for the most part. there have been changes to the live init system, control center, and udev/eudev has also gone back and forth a few times (currently udev on the latest RC1). also some changes to how we handle intel video drivers.
So are these changes handled by the apt package manager or are not?
dolphin_oracle
kozaki wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:I would avoid the alphas.

So are these changes handled by the apt package manager or are not?
some are. the live init changes are not.
skidoo
During build-iso, is the firefox-esr package retrieved from debian repository, or is it from antix/MX repository?
"sudo apt-cache policy firefox-esr" doesn't provide that info. Maybe that's not the appropriate command?

Regardless where the package is pulled from, antiX/MX devs are curating the default prefs, right?
(hmm, must be so ~~ need to at least set a custom homepage)
/etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox/*/prefs.js
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/Build-iso/blob/master/build-iso"
linktext was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/Build-is ... /build-iso"
====================================

Who's handling (anticapitalista? stevo?) customization of the default prefs?
skidoo
we've got an tool for setting automount of usb devices in control center, which should work on the rox desktop as well as spacefm
(doesn't rely on spacefm). There is also a set font size tool for changing the dpi of the display. It was meant for those with
high dpi monitors, but I've come to really like the 120 setting even on my small screen.
They work well and are really convenient, welcome additions to the cc.

AFAIK, all the displays available to me here for testing are native 96dpi.
I'm wondering whether that (a gtk theme might apply differing attributes to elements, depending on dpi)
is the reason some, but not all, testers wind up with"invisible" checkboxes.
dolphin_oracle
skidoo wrote:During build-iso, is the firefox-esr package retrieved from debian repository, or is it from antix/MX repository?
"sudo apt-cache policy firefox-esr" doesn't provide that info. Maybe that's not the appropriate command?

Regardless where the package is pulled from, antiX/MX devs are curating the default prefs, right?
(hmm, must be so ~~ need to at least set a custom homepage)
/etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox/*/prefs.js
url was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/Build-iso/blob/master/build-iso"
linktext was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/Build-is ... /build-iso"

Who's handling (anticapitalista? stevo?) customization of the default prefs?
firefox-esr is now hosted by debian. it replaces iceweasel, which the debian project discontinued. doing a dist-upgrade with iceweasel install will automatically bring in firefox-esr.

I know anti was putting together some custom bookmarks and such.
skidoo
skidoo
Two posts ago, the train of thought behind my questions was
"If I were proficient in using git client (I am not), which of the antiX git project(s) would I need to fork... and what file(s)
would I need edit+submit in a 'pull request', in order to contribute an expanded list of default browser bookmarks?"

and I've found the answer by searching for"iceweasel" instead of"firefox" within the antiX github pages.
I'm guessing the content of the Build-iso project files posted to github are older than what was used to roll RC1.

I now understand that
within the build-iso script, the apply_theme() routine loads Themes/base/theme.sh or Themes/full/theme.sh
and that theme.sh contains a list files (e.g. prefs.js and bookmarks.html) to be added to the build tree.
So, my hypothetical 'pull request' would contain changed versions of
url was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/Build-iso/blob/master/Themes/base/misc/bookmarks.html"
linktext was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/Build-is ... marks.html"
and
url was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/Build-iso/blob/master/Themes/full/misc/bookmarks.html"
linktext was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/Build-is ... marks.html"
skidoo
After installing 64bit RC1 to hard disk

Code: Select all

demo@zf:~
$ uname -r
4.4.10-antix.1-amd64-smp
when I installed kernel"4.6.2" (haven't yet tried to boot it yet) I noticed that some errors were logged
Log started: 2016-06-18 17:18:38
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp.
(Reading database ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp_4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp (4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp_4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp (4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1) ...
Setting up linux-headers-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp (4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1) ...
Setting up linux-image-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp (4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1) ...
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/make.log for more information.
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-guest/4.3.36/build/make.log for more information.
: Unable to find an initial ram disk that I know how to handle.
Will not try to make an initrd.

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background: /usr/share/wallpaper/back.jpg
Found background image: /usr/share/wallpaper/back.jpg
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.10-antix.1-amd64-smp
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.10-antix.1-amd64-smp
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found memtest86+ multiboot image: /boot/memtest86+_multiboot.bin
Found MX 15 (15) on /dev/sda4
done
Log ended: 2016-06-18 17:19:51
skidoo
FYI: post-install, an"install" launcher is still present on the desktop

My test install migrated 2 user account from a persistent LiveUSB. The install icon is present when either account is logged in.

the install launcher is present in all Rox- combo sessions
and is absent when the session is a Space- desktop/WM combo
Last edited by skidoo on 19 Jun 2016, 03:23, edited 2 times in total.
dolphin_oracle
skidoo wrote:After installing 64bit RC1 to hard disk

Code: Select all

demo@zf:~
$ uname -r
4.4.10-antix.1-amd64-smp
when I installed kernel"4.6.2" (haven't yet tried to boot it yet) I noticed that some errors were logged
Log started: 2016-06-18 17:18:38
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp.
(Reading database ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp_4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp (4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp_4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp (4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1) ...
Setting up linux-headers-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp (4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1) ...
Setting up linux-image-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp (4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-1) ...
Consult /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/make.log for more information.
Consult /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-guest/4.3.36/build/make.log for more information.
: Unable to find an initial ram disk that I know how to handle.
Will not try to make an initrd.

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background: /usr/share/wallpaper/back.jpg
Found background image: /usr/share/wallpaper/back.jpg
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.6.2-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.10-antix.1-amd64-smp
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.10-antix.1-amd64-smp
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found memtest86+ multiboot image: /boot/memtest86+_multiboot.bin
Found MX 15 (15) on /dev/sda4
done
Log ended: 2016-06-18 17:19:51
I suspect that's because you utilized a"gnu" kernel, which can't utilize non-free drivers as far as I know. at least it can't use non-free firmware I know.
skidoo
thanks, d_o. I'll go back and try the other 64bit antix kernel 4.6.2

edit:
wound up with identical result
(identical error messages referring to ndiswrapper and virtualbox-guest are logged)

able to boot both. System seems fine. No remarkable warning/error messages in kern.log nor syslog
anticapitalista
Site Admin
kozaki wrote:
Testing 16-RC1 Live
Two minors details, a possible bug and a question:

1. When entering a new Live session after logging out the keyboard layout that one sets at boot reverts to QWERTY.
2. Libreoffice has Java activated by default but no JRE's installed. May also impact starting time
3. Installer won't display in fluxbox-* session (default boot options)
As shown in the screens below it starts but won't show. Killing it and re-launching makes it appears... in the dock. But only shows up if I force"Maximize". Quite awkward. Shifted to other desktop and only got that behaviour in fluxbox-*s.

url was:"http://pic.al/FGd.png"
linktext was:"http://pic.al/FGd.png"

url was:"http://pic.al/GGd.png"
linktext was:"http://pic.al/GGd.png"

4. Install on a logical volume??
Installer does not recognize LVs.

url was:"http://pic.al/LGd.png"
linktext was:"http://pic.al/LGd.png"

Is there a workaround in case installing into an lvm2 setup is wanted?
1. I tried with Greek and French and do not see this.
2. Maybe ? (don't know really)
3. I don't see this
4. Not that I know of
skidoo
reporting the results of additional tests performed after installing to HDD, upgrading all packages marked upgradeable, and upgrading to kernel 4.6.2:

controlCentre --}"install to USB retain partitions (Unetbootin)" produced a perfectly-functioning bootable result

menu --} SystemTools --}"iso-snapshot" produced a perfectly-functioning bootable result
the
only unexpected (to me) detail I noted was that the bootMenu lineOne label simply read"antiX"
(vs, per past experience, expected the label to read something like"antiX-snapshot-12345datetime")
skidoo
In case i neglected to mention it earlier in this thread, cc --}"Choose Startup Services"
if user launches this, then clicks redX in titlebar to close the window while sysv-rc-conf is still running...
100% sustained CPU load ensues, can only be resolved by using"sudo killall sysv-rc-conf"

Tonight I discovered an identical buggy result after launching the cc --}"Image a partition" menu item.
partimage cannot image a mounted partition and (duh) yeah, oops I redX'ed the window.
100% sustained CPU load

===============================

As a new user, this scenario befuddled me: (cannot image the mounted partition... so, without iso, cannot use antiX2usb)
The name of the utility, or seeing its name used as a menu entry label, suggests its intended purpose is snapshotting, er, remastering.
"create a bootable liveUSB from your customized antiX system".

suggest:
omit the utility name from the label (user will see it atop dialogbox as soon as it launches anyhow)
and revise the"Disks" tab toward providing a clearer hint of workflow

LEFT COLUMN:
Configure Automounting
Mount Connnected Devices
Backup Your System
Synchronize Directories

RIGHT COLUMN:

Partition a Drive

Image a Partition (create iso)

"iso --} liveUSB (Unetbootin)
(expects preformatted target partition)"

"iso --} liveUSB (antiX tool)
(can create/edit partitions of target)

I realize that changes involving translations can be a PITA and that these suggested labels may be"too long, too many chars"
goro.ddaimonx
goro.ddaimonx
Perfect! Don't leave this project for us!