masinick
Running great for me!

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antiX Kernel: 4.0.0-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.2)
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8+githubmod+20150412+960629d Distro: antiX-13.2_386-full Luddite 4 November 2013
Machine:   System: Gateway product: MX8738 v: 3408450R
           Mobo: Gateway model: N/A v: 72.15 Bios: Phoenix v: 72.15 date: 04/16/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel T2080 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 6916
           clock speeds: max: 1733 MHz 1: 1333 MHz 2: 1067 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: intel Resolution: 1440x900@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.4.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.0.0-antix.1-486-smp
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection driver: e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 04:08.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (4.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD1600BEVS size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 19G used: 4.6G (26%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 111 Uptime: 46 min Memory: 372.8/2010.9MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.331) inxi: 2.2.19
Oh yeah, according to the user and system string, this is antiX 13.2. I don't be a thinkin' so. That's just what the string says. This system has a recent kernel and it's running Debian Testing software without any problems, can run with either sysvinit or systemd - I'm running systemd right now, I believe.

Whatever I'm actually running, it is working fine and it has pretty new application software. No weirdness in this, even though it has a hodgepodge of code. In practice, it works just fine for me; clearly I've messed around with this image for a pretty long time and it works fine.
skidoo
When performing the snapshot operation, do you get a logfile written to var/log? Look for an errmsg in logfile.
"only 8 MEGs" sounds like the script bailed due to insufficent free RAM, or insufficent drive space for writing to the working directory.
masinick
I have barely scratched the surface with the build, rebuild, snapshot alternatives and options.

I have done a lot of work with past versions of antiX when we were focusing more on the three variations: Full, Base, and Core, and much of my current investment is based on them. For example, I have a 13.2 release that is updated at least as current as antiX 15 Beta - in fact, until I actually SAW otherwise, that's what I thought I was running.

I have generated at least one"Frugal" snapshot; that was nice; it can be used with a CD or USB (though I'm going to have to get my"act straight", know which image I used when I create it, and then use that same image to activate and run the Frugal image snapshot that I created. I did that at least once and it worked beautifully, but I really have not exercised it beyond that, and I certainly have not exercised all of the possible snapshot options, nor was I, at least yesterday, running against the proper instance of the current Beta.

What I have done, nevertheless, certainly demonstrates that we have numerous ways, both supported and unsupported, documented and undocumented, to configure and run our antiX systems. What I can say, based on my own experiences so far is that I can continue to run instances of antiX against"Testing" and they work. The few kinks I see there is that you have to be cautious about how you start and stop the system, depending on which process and scheduling software approach you use - the one we seem to be actively supporting in antiX remains the classic sysvinit so far, and systemd is now the current approach in Debian Stable and Debian Testing, so if you mix your system with those, as I have, you have to understand that a few things are going to work differently (and if you don't make provisions for them, you'll certainly break them).

I definitely noticed that I have to be careful specifying how to shut down the system when I use systemd because systemd uses systemctl, whereas the classic run levels found in sysvinit handle things completely differently. So if you"experiment" like I do, be careful what you're doing; some things will not work the same way and if you're not careful they won't work at all.

The good news is that it's possible, if you can accept a few different"work flows" from what's documented, you can run a hybrid antiX - Debian against either Stable or Testing. I'm interested in seeing what we'll end up with for the next versions of MX-14 and antiX and how they compare to my total"hacks". I'm confident that our integrators will do a very good job with whatever infrastructure or infrastructures that we end up supporting!