SamK
Re: Date in IceWM Taskbar

Dave wrote:...it should then fix itself with any instance of gksu being started.
Confirmed. Running e.g. gksu leafpad, then cancelling the prompt for the administrative password without inputting any information, the desktop is visibly"rewritten" and the incorrect time in the IceWM taskbar is changed to the correct time.

Naturally this leads to more questions...
  • What is happening that enables the cancelled gksu to"refresh" the desktop and thereby correct the time?
  • Is the information of any value in addressing the problem with root persistence?
dolphin_oracle
I'll add one more...from where does desktop-session run?

***edit*** looks like it runs from slim login (defined in slim.conf).
anticapitalista
Site Admin
MANY THANKS for all the feedback.

beta2 will soon be made available, as well as a delta patch, so don't delete your beta1.iso just yet.

beta2 has addressed many (probably most, possibly all) of the issues brought up in this thread. Now some of the issues we have *fixed* will be seen by others as a step backwards. We cannot please everyone, though we do try.
For example, beta2 will offer user the choice to select at boot menu a light or dark theme. There are only 2 choices and we have placed it in F6. We know this is not ideal, but ...

Some other news, it appears that Debian will extend wheezy to a LTS. That probably means, it will be supported (apt) until at least 2016 and probaly longer to 2018. That is good news for current antiX-13 users.
SamK
Re: Date in IceWM Taskbar

Booted live using root persistence
I did not notice this previously but it confirms the correct date is known to the system but not used.
Discrepancy in displayed time by IceWM and Conky when booted using root persistence
Discrepancy in displayed time by IceWM and Conky when booted using root persistence
Note 1
The difference in the Conky report compared to the IceWM report.
Note 2
The difference being greater than 1 hour is attributable to the time elapsed from boot up and noticing the reports.

Off Topic
Although it cannot be discerned in the screen shot the IceWM monitors are also"frozen" as reported in an earlier bug post.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:beta2 has addressed many (probably most, possibly all) of the issues brought up in this thread. Now some of the issues we have *fixed* will be seen by others as a step backwards. We cannot please everyone, though we do try.
At the same time the availability announcement is made, will you consider providing a comprehensive change log for each iteration?

It will be really helpful to know
  • What has changed (progressive or regressive) that are not bug fixes,
  • Which bugs have been fixed,
  • Which bugs are still waiting to be addressed
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
beta2 has addressed many (probably most, possibly all) of the issues brought up in this thread. Now some of the issues we have *fixed* will be seen by others as a step backwards. We cannot please everyone, though we do try.
If I may say so, we know you always do your best, which is why antix is simply the best.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a suck-up, but it's the truth.
dolphin_oracle

Off Topic
Although it cannot be discerned in the screen shot the IceWM monitors are also"frozen" as reported in an earlier bug post.
do the monitors unfreeze after you run a gksu - something like when you are playing with the time?
SamK
IceWM Applet Monitors
dolphin_oracle wrote:do the monitors unfreeze after you run a gksu - something like when you are playing with the time?
No, they remain frozen.
antiX Menu-->Logout-->Restart IceWM unfreezes them.
fladd
Very nice beta.

The default keyboard shortcuts in IceWM are now set up properly (they seemed a mess in Antix 13.2). However, some things are still not working:
When I right click on the IceWM panel, I get a menu with the options to tile horizontally, vertically and some more things. In this menu it is mentioned that all those things have keyboards shortcuts (Alt+Shift+Fx). However, those keyboard shortcuts do not work.

Also, I realised that Pidgin has been removed, leaving no graphical irc client behind. Maybe HexChat can be considered as an alternative?

Looking forward to beta2!
rayburn
Installed on a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop, and everything seems to be working normally so far. Good work on the desktop, I really like it. Thanks to all involved, and especially Anti.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:MANY THANKS for all the feedback.

beta2 will soon be made available, as well as a delta patch, so don't delete your beta1.iso just yet.

For example, beta2 will offer user the choice to select at boot menu a light or dark theme. There are only 2 choices and we have placed it in F6. We know this is not ideal, but ...

Some other news, it appears that Debian will extend wheezy to a LTS. That probably means, it will be supported (apt) until at least 2016 and probably longer to 2018. That is good news for current antiX-13 users.
This is good news. That means that those of us who like to experiment can go with"the latest", and if we have room for another system, we can keep a"stable instance" of antiX-13 as well. I used to keep stable versions of MEPIS around. Sounds like I'll be keeping a stable version of antiX-13 with Wheezy instead. Thanks for this update.
balloon
I was able to just make time to touch antiX-15-beta1-V. __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__

I understood that a package when I installed"Japanese_input_fcitx" from"metapackage-installer" was insufficiency.
I investigate a insufficiency package and contribute it later.
configX
Unfortunately I am running into issues with the installer. If I click on the icon I get the dialog to select stable, testing, or unstable and then nothing happens.

If I run

Code: Select all

sudo minstall
in teminal I get this message:
dpkg-query: package 'avahi' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
dpkg-query: package 'uuidd' is not installed and no information is available
dpkg-query: package 'gdomap' is not installed and no information is available
dpkg-query: package 'samba' is not installed and no information is available
Nothing happens until I close the terminal window and then the installer runs. However, I when the installer tries to format the drive it encounters an error which restarts the installer. The error dialog shows"Failed to create required partitions, Ruturning to Step 1." The HDD is an SSD...does that pose a problem?

Thoughts?

configX
In addition my trackpad is not working which I found odd since kernel 3.17+ supports this hardware (Acer C720 Chromebook). Perhaps the modules were removed or disabled from the Antix kernel?
BitJam
configX wrote:In addition my trackpad is not working which I found odd since kernel 3.17+ supports this hardware (Acer C720 Chromebook). Perhaps the modules were removed or disabled from the Antix kernel?
The modules you should need: chromeos_laptop, and cyapa are in our 3.19.1. kernel. Make sure they are loaded by looking at the output of lsmod:

lsmod | grep chromeos
lsmod | grep cyapa
If one or the other is not loaded, then trying loading them and see if that solves your problem:

sudo modprobe -a chromeos-laptop cyapa