configX
Thank you for that information BitJam. It looks like chromeos is loaded by default by not cyapa. Unfortunately, after loading cyapa the trackpad is still not working even though lsmop shows it loaded.
dolphin_oracle
configX wrote:Thank you for that information BitJam. It looks like chromeos is loaded by default by not cyapa. Unfortunately, after loading cyapa the trackpad is still not working even though lsmop shows it loaded.
same experience here. Not sure what the special sauce is...
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
Maybe it's like my mouse that didn't work. Broken!
dolphin_oracle
Alanarchy wrote:
Maybe it's like my mouse that didn't work. Broken!
Maybe, but I have a patched 3.16 kernel version of MX that works with the touchpad. I used the instructions here
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://blogs.fsfe.org/the_unconventional/2014/04/20/c720-debian/"
linktext was:"http://blogs.fsfe.org/the_unconventiona ... 20-debian/"
====================================
to build the kernel.
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
Could be the dreaded intermittent fault. You can spend days fixing the dreaded intermittent fault, you know? __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
nassausky
Antix 15 beta is very nice. Very responsive. Until I lost the mouse for the 3rd time after i left my PC running virtualbox with Antix. I caught the end of it seems other people maybe having similar problems. I got to take time a little later to read about but great work so far.

If this works out like I think it will, I pray someone makes a script to make it easier to remaster this. Antix 15 is so small and quick I just am going to get rid of libre office and put in some other apps I prefer. Looking over my notes for remastering it has never been easy as cake.

My guess as to how we should remaster antix: (I will post a more detailed question and description in another post)
1) Partition a drive and install Grub on it (haven't found script for this)
2) Create antix folder in new partition and copy files from ISO into it
3) Add grub entry for this new boot option
4) Boot into new option and run remaster steps (no real documentation only see a couple buttons under LIVE tab in control-centre)

If the above steps were simplified in Antix 15 I should get together an antix celebration party with the time I could save making specialized remasters for friends.
skidoo
Yes, please find time to read the docs.
If this works out like I think it will, I pray someone makes a script to make it easier to remaster this.
I test-drive a LOT of distros, and can definitively state that antiX provides the best (easiest AND most flexible)"remastering" tools.
The tools work well, their features have been refined and honed across the span of several years, AND they are well documented.

The TL;DR workflow:
1) from a live session, add/remove whichever apps ya want, install your fave browser addons, then run antixsnapshot + antix2usb to create a new bootable pendrive.
2) enjoy
fatmac
Just tried replacing MX 14.4 with this antiX 15-beta1 but the gui installer wouldn't start & the cli-installer failed as well, is this a known problem(?) - I have read all new posts of this thread as they came in, but don't remember reading if anyone was having any problems.
dolphin_oracle
no but beta 2 did change to using sudo instead of su so try your user password (demo) instead of the root password.
nassausky
nassausky
@skidoo
then run antixsnapshot
Tried that once on 2 different computers and getting an 8 Meg ISO file. Seems
I don't remember trying that in ver 13 so not sure if it might be a bug in 15.

OK to find the DOCS I tried doing a google search for"antix remaster" (without the quotes)
and found
url was:"http://download2.polytechnic.edu.na/pub4/sourceforge/a/an/antix-linux/Final/antiX-13/FAQ/remaster.html"
linktext was:"http://download2.polytechnic.edu.na/pub ... aster.html"
which didn't have steps on how to do it or even mention snapshot but instead starts off on this note on how to do it:
In order to perform a live remaster, you just need to create the new linuxfs file in the same directory as the existing linuxfs file with the".new" extension added. On the next boot, before the linuxfs file is mounted, the following commands are (in essence) performed in the directory containing the linuxfs file:
I appreciate anyone who does make instructions or help but it lost me at the get go. What linuxfs is it talking about? Where is the step by step? Bullet 3 above that quote says"The development system must have been created using a"frugal install", not a fromiso install" which I tried to create a frugal install to get remaster to run without a write error inside control-centre.
To setup a frugal install I found the DOC
url was:"http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Frugal_install"
linktext was:"http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Frugal_install"
which states having a grub pre installed. No steps to do that so I worked on this 2 years ago and somehow got that working
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/grub-installer-for-mbr-t4767.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/grub-instal ... t4767.html"

I don't want to stray off topic. I think now it's just about the beta and wondering if anyone else tried the snapshot feature in antiX-15-beta without error and having a decent sized ISO.

Thanks again skidoo
skidoo
"remaster" is a generic term. I suspect you'll REALLY want to go the"snapshot" route.
(snapshot is attentive to keeping your personal files, configs and ini files; remastering produces a re-distributable image, with personal files omitted)

An online docs search, ouch, yeah that will probably yield confusing / outdated references.
For the version currently in beta, due to ongoing feature changes n tweaks, updated docs are probably not yet in place.
For stable version (currently antix 13.2) accurate docs are provided onboard (a linked set of local html helpdocs).
now it's just about the beta and wondering if anyone else tried the snapshot feature in antiX-15-beta without error and having a decent sized ISO.
No, I haven't tested it recently. I'm sidelined until the next iso becomes available for testing. Also, I've certainly never tested creation of an 8Gb+ snapshot; largest I can recall creating was 5--6Gb (uncompressed size on disk). If your destination is FAT32, anything over 8Gb is guaranteed to fail, right? Perhaps one of the commands (squashfs, genisoimage) employed by the snapshot script has a hard limit which needs to be documented?
Last edited by skidoo on 05 May 2015, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
fatmac
Retried a couple of times more to install 15beta today without success. __{{emoticon}}__
(Trying to install from pendrive to an SDHC card, for safety.)

GUI installer, (Password root), tries to start but after the LED light flashing a dozen or so times on my drive, it just stops, no installer comes up.

Then trying the cli-installer. First off using, sudo cli-installer.
cfdisk crashed out after I tried deleting my partition & re creating a new one.
( cfdisk line 129 7665 segmentation fault)

So, I used fdisk in a terminal to create a new partition, put an ext4 filesystem on it, & ran the cli-installer.
(Took a long time, could do with some kind of indicator to show that it is working.) However, it said it was installed, do I want grub in the MBR? Answered yes & it proceeded. Rebooted & was faced with 'No OS available' - so presumably grub did not install to the MBR.

So I am still going to be using 13.1 (upgraded, base version) on my regular netbook until 15 becomes installable/stable. __{{emoticon}}__
dolphin_oracle
dolphin_oracle
fatmac wrote:Retried a couple of times more to install 15beta today without success. __{{emoticon}}__
(Trying to install from pendrive to an SDHC card, for safety.)

GUI installer, (Password root), tries to start but after the LED light flashing a dozen or so times on my drive, it just stops, no installer comes up.

So, I used fdisk in a terminal to create a new partition, put an ext4 filesystem on it, & ran the cli-installer.
(Took a long time, could do with some kind of indicator to show that it is working.) However, it said it was installed, do I want grub in the MBR? Answered yes & it proceeded. Rebooted & was faced with 'No OS available' - so presumably grub did not install to the MBR.

So I am still going to be using 13.1 (upgraded, base version) on my regular netbook until 15 becomes installable/stable. __{{emoticon}}__
the beta2 installer gui asks for the user password, not the root password. This is different from beta1.

I have no idea on the cli-installer, other than we are now using grub2 and not grub-legacy, so maybe the cli-installer is not up to date on that front.
dolphin_oracle
confirmed that the partition tool in the cli-installer seg fault's when creating a new partition.
nassausky
skidoo wrote: I've certainly never tested creation of an 8Gb+ snapshot;
Ouch no I said Meg not Gig. The ISO it created was tiny. It didn't work for some reason but I had over 4 Gig free.

Still thinking it's a bug with the antixsnapshot