skidoo
what's new?
No, it was previously present in 13.1
When I mentioned absence of a clipboard manager in"full" this time 'round, I wondered whether it had been forgotten
or whether clipit in particular had been found to be incompatible with 64-bit build or didn't work with sysbumd
BitJam wrote:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post31549.html?hilit=clipit#p31549"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post31549.h ... pit#p31549"
====================================

Nov 01, 2013

Below is a list of all the apps in the antiX-13.1-base Applications menu.
The name is on the left of the":" and what you type in to RoxTerm is on the right.
. . .

Code: Select all

ClipIt: clipit
                       Leafpad: leafpad
                      live usb: gksu antix2usb.py
         metapackage-installer: gksu install-meta
If this description is too wordy, feel free to trim it down:

ClipIt is a GTK+ clipboard manager. It is DE/WM -agnostic, doesn't have dependencies on packages from any particular Desktop Environment.

Losing the clipboard contents when you close an application is one of those annoyances that can make you %$bleep#!
A clipboard manager preserves data you've copied to clipboard, even after you close the application you did the cut from.

ClipIt preserves a history of your lastXX clippings and, accessible from its tray indicator icon, enables you to edit, delete, or pin selected entries.
Optionally, via the ClipIt preferences UI, you can also:

-- setup hotkeys (macros to paste a specific clipping, etc)
-- mark items as 'static' (aka 'pinned')
-- Search the text of clippings (text items can be loooong -- what you're searching may not be immediately visible in the narrow UI)
-- mark/exclude specific items from history (pastes you never want included in the history display for reuse, e.g. passwords, URLs)

'advanced features' tip:
To reuse the clipboard history 'with enumeration', turn on"Automatically paste selected item" and"Show indexes in History" in preferences.
Pressing Ctrl+Alt+h then the item# (or customize the keybind) will paste the matching numbered clipping.
Alternately, the number keypad can be used to select an item from the Clipit history.

FWIW, because of its inclusion in prior antiX release, clipit is already listed in the helpfile"Equivalent Apps antiX v Windows"
file:///usr/share/antiX/equivalents.html
Last edited by skidoo on 25 Nov 2014, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
skidoo
not complaining, just feeling like the lil boy in"The Emperor's New Clothes"
skidoo wrote:Same as I reported back about a year ago... regardless the current setting, each time the settings dialog for mouse acceleration/threshhold is opened,
the dialog displays accel=5 and threshhold=1. Changing the settings"works", yer changes are applied, but it's confusing to return to find unchanged values being reported in the dialog.
I rechecked ~~ searched posts by skidoo + keyword 'acceleration'
and discovered my earlier post in this thread is the FOURTH time I've tested/reported same problem.

So, it's not surprising the clipboard manager got dropped/forgotten in 14R alpha3 flavorV version=full
Too many permutations!
The development resources are spread way too thin.

"Stuffs" in the MX version are creating issues for the R version.
Seems the"design decision" (aw, let's just do a monolithic script. It'll be easier to maintain a single script) needs to be revisited.

Per sourceforge.net stats, fewer than a dozen peeps have downloaded each of the current alpha"core" versions...
...and only, what, four people (?) have bothered to post testing feedback on those.
That suggest to me that the"core" version (both"flavors") should be dropped for this (14) iteration.
Dave

Solved
Problem: Conky sometimes disappears when starting a session and / or rox pinboard produces an error
Solution: Adjust startup delay in / etc/desktop-session.conf to 2 or greater.

Problem: Standard Items in Personal menu are not editable / do not follow user selected defaults.
Solution: edit / etc/xdg/menus/TCM-MENU.menu by commenting out / removing" <AppDir>/usr/share/desktop-defaults/defaults/</AppDir>"
add"desktop-menu --menu-file='/ etc/xdg/menus/TCM-MENU.menu' --write-out --write-out-file='personal'" to /usr/share/desktop-session/first-run-script

Problem: rox-fluxbox missing from alternative desktops menu
Solution: Run desktop-session-update-wm-menus before building iso

Problem: Keys files not coherent with the other window managers
Solution: Update Keys Files

Problem: JWM Keys file opening applications as root when attempting to make capital letters
Solution: Update jwm keys file
(post37589.html#p37589)

Problem: Conky sits on top of other windows when restarting / starting
Solution: add" wmctrl -F -r"Conky ($HOST)" add,below" to conky section of desktop-session

Problem: Conky missing screen resolution
Solution: add ${color}${execi 100 xdpyinfo | sed -n -r"s/^\s*dimensions:.*\s([0-9]+x[0-9]+).*/\1/p"} to conky rcs'

Problem: Conky persist enabled check is too frequent
Solution: bump time value from 10 to 100

Problem: Conky root FS Used value @ 99% live
Solution:
BitJam wrote:I think this is because it shows the amount of free space. So this is a choice, not a bug.

Problem: Conky font difficult to read
Solution: Change font."xftfont DejaVu Sans:bold:size=9"
(viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5325)

Problem: Fluxbox menu -> desktop -> session settings global does not open root text editor with config.
Solution: Remove the () around (Global)

Problem: System D live boot missing"quiet" boot parameter
Solution: add"quiet" to extlinux and syslinux boot strings.

Problem: fluxbox menu has duplicated entries for updating the menu. One under update menus and the other under fluxbox settings.
Solution: remove the one from fluxbox settings.

Problem: Add Desktop under tools no longer works...
Solution: change exec portion of menu to point to add-desktop or remove in favor of duplicate item in desktop submenu

Problem: sbins not in system path for user... only root
Solution: add"PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin" to ~/.bashrc

Problem: All packages in antix repo are listed twice
Solution: Comment out stable repo

Problem: Menu lacking entry for synaptic
Solution: add / modify .desktop file for synaptic

Problem: Geany remembering the previously opened files as default
Solution: Set geany config to forget previous files on startup as default

Problem: Swap not automatically turning on in live USB
Solution:
BitJam wrote: I believe this is only a problem with systemd. I should be able to fix it by moving our live init.d scripts into the initrd. We need to create / etc/fstab before systemd runs.

Problem: Persistance not asking to change passwords... normal?
Solution:
BitJam wrote:I believe this is only with systemd. I should be able to fix it by moving our live init.d scripts into the initrd. This should also make it work much faster on sysV systems.

Problem: Boot menu resolution not"sticking" with the save option for a custom entry
Solution:
BitJam wrote:I will fix this. I believe it is a simple change to the gfxsave.conf file in the initrd.

Problem: Network interfaces incrementing by 1 (wlan0 wlan1 wlan2 ) for each machine live usb is run on
Solution: rm / etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Problem/Solution:

Warning! fusbh200_hcd should always be loaded before uhci_hcd and ohci_hcd, not after
There was a similar problem with the ehci module for a while. In this case the fusbh200_hcd driver is compiled in but so are uhci_hcd and ohci_hcd. I think we will have to compile uhci_hcd and ochi_hcd as loadable modules in order to avoid getting that error message.

Problem: Clipboard Manager (clipit) not enabled on startup.
Solution: add to startup or enable xdg autostart in desktop-session
[/color]

Possible Solution
Problem: Items from default desktop and personal menu are duplicated in the applications menu
Solution: add filters to xdg/menus/* or add Item to NoDisplay in the various .desktop files.

Problem: Installer copies files as *root* to user home resulting in the inability to run / save program settings (geany / gtk).
Solution: Move skel copy strings from installer to /usr/share/desktop-session/first-run-script

Problem: set-screen-blank errors out first run due to lack of ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf
Solution: Add ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf to / etc/desktop-session/file_compare

Problem: Control-Center -> edit system moniter always opens the same conky file.
Solution: make control center read desktop session and open appropriate config ( a lib entry may be needed for desktop and control center to share )

Problem: Gdebi not auto updating menu as it directly utilizes dpkg not apt, therefor the apt hook does not come into play
Solution: Move /usr/bin/update-menus, Symlink /usr/bin/update-menus with apt update script, and run moved update-menus in apt script.

Problem: Update Menus --> Update Local Menu overwrites the global menu based on going through the symlink.
Solution: Destroy the local menu update.
**** OR ****
Destroy the symlink before writing a local menu
**** OR ****
Write a local menu to a different location.

Problem: after running add/remove desktop for personal menu items the menu is not refreshed
Solution: add"desktop-menu --menu-file='/ etc/xdg/menus/TCM-MENU.menu' --write-out --write-out-file='personal'" call in add/remove desktop scripts

Problem: Spacefm not showing internal drives as default. As user allowable mount is not set in fstab...
Solution: Go up to the menu bar, and Devices>Settings>Show>Internal Drives (Better spacefm default config....)
Maybe live boot scripts/installer could update for internal drives as was previously done at one point?

Problem: Boot menu lacking for selecting desktop session (usb)
Solution: add or educate on alternative desktops

Problem: Some systems need nomodeset"set" / intel driver not loading
Solution:
BitJam wrote:This option is still available in the Video Mode boot menu. I think the problem was a regression in the intel driver which caused it to fail on some systems that it used to work on.

Unsolved
Problem: / etc/default/grub set wrong. No quiet mode, not as nice of a theme as previous, etc... just needs refining being the first time with grub 2.
Solution: Set proper defaults and have someone make a nice theme like 4 MX... install grub-customizer to help?

Problem: Desktop menu has only an entry for adding desktop files. There should be a remove desktop files option as well.
Solution: add remove desktop item to the desktop menu.

Problem: add desktop is maybe miss-named... open for suggestions to the name change
Solution: Change name... (add/remove items?)

Problem: Spacefm Automount (pmount) fails erroring that mtab/fstab contains entry already
Solution: unknown

Problem: With user protect enabled, nothing gets updated with the global counterparts when updated. Meanwhile when not protected everything is updated without knowledge.
Solution: Make intermediate option where nothing is updated and a prompt is presented as to what to update when there is an update available the user logs on.

Problem: Browser is closed when switching / reloading desktop session
Solution: Unknown

Problem: Installer does not work with a gpt partitioned disk
Solution: refer to updated MX installer

Problem: Homepage differs between RD and RV versions
Solution: Unknown... ASSUME copy the config between versions

Problem: RD not ejecting CD's on shutdown

The Following appear the same
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem: Control center lacking quick access to manipulate desktop-session settings (.conf / startup / file_compare / etc....)
Solution: add item to edit such configs in session section of control center

Problem: Lacking links/ability in the control center to edit or change desktop-session related configuration
Solution: add a new tab (or incorporate into another tab) for various buttons to update session"stuff"
Example: desktop-session.conf, desktop-defaults.conf, screen-blank, menu add/remove/update.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem: Ceni will not work with wireless but wicd does
Solution: Unknown ASSUME that wicd is"taking over" in the RD version (/ var/run/wpa_supplicant existing and should be remove to run ceni)

Problem: inxi reporting false window manager identification (fluxbox ok)

Problem: Personal menu does not truely accomodate for a manual configuration (similar to userprotect making all updates or no updates)
Solution: Update desktop-menu script

Problem: Grub Repair not related to grub 2
Solution: Update utility for grub to or replace with grub-customizer if the option is there.
url was:"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair"
linktext was:"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair"
used to repair.

Problem: Touchpad not working (post37307.html#p37307)

Problem: Cli installer failing, and reporting success

Problem: Synaptic not starting
Solution: Probably Upstream

Problem: Persists save runs twice on reboot jamming shutdown.

The following have very high likeness
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem: Shutdown / restart sometimes (with persistance AFAIK) will only drop to the CLI
BitJam wrote:Is this related to the problem below where some systems don't powerdown or reboot?

Problem: Sometimes persist-save is not running due to another running instance that does not seem to exist
Solution: Unknown. [quote="BitJam']BitJam will work on this.

Problem: Some instances are not shutting down fulling and requiring hard reset
Solution: Unknown.
BitJam wrote:Is this related to the problem above?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem: HDMI utilization is a PITA
Solution: small app to set / control HDMI video / sound output

Problem: Core 32 has long boot delay with root persistance enabled

Problem: Change mouse settings dialog does not display current settings upon startup.

Problem: Apparent system settings locale tab locked (need verification working for me with Enable locale -> Enable locale)
Solution: Unknown, but still should rewrite...

Problem: No mode settings for persistance while making a new persist file on clean boot.
Solution: Unknown.
BitJam wrote:I don't understand what this problem is. Could someone tell me more?

Problem: XDG autostart set to false in desktop-session. This can be default, or set to true as default.
Solution: Perhaps a poll to determine which should be set and why / how to overcome problems related to this.

Problem: Flash player is not installed in 32 RV
Solution: install flash-plugin / update-flashplugin

Problem: Shutdown text is not displayed
Solution:
BitJam wrote:I think this is only a problem on RD (systemd). I have no solution ATM.

Items related
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BIG PROBLEM: Lacking info to the user on how to use stuff....
Solution: write a good howto! Can we start by making a list of topics for the howto?

Problem: New Features are not know / and not known how to use
Solution: Whats new page to go with the documentation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem: The dpi=xxx boot parameter no longer works.
Solution: Unknown. BitJam will work on this.

Problem: fbdev driver taking primary fallback driver spot. This should be vesa.

Problem: Cups service failing to start on RD versions

[/quote]
Last edited by Dave on 26 Oct 2014, 03:14, edited 4 times in total.
Dave
BitJam wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:Here's a pic (I hope smaller than my last one __{{emoticon}}__ ) I don't know if the dell has similar language about umounts failing because it flashes by too fast to read.
Wow! You never cease to impress. You have captured a picture of the elusive systemd live antiX shutdown process. Despite many such shutdowns, I have only spotted this creature once and it dashed by so fast I could barely see it. Dave says he has only seen it once or twice.

THANK YOU. I've really wanted to see what that looks like.

If that is the systemd shutdown then the problem has nothing to do with busybox. So, far I've been unsuccessful in getting control back from systemd in order to shut down the live system in a more orderly way. Here are the
url was:"http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InitrdInterface/"
linktext was:"official instructions"
. Part of the difficulty is there is no text displayed at shutdown on my system. The screen goes blank and then the system powers off (or reboots). If I can ever get the official systemd-way of transferring control to work then it would only happen after all of those systemd messages about trying to umount things and failing to umount. Perhaps it is needless for me to say that I think this approach is sub-optimal for developers and for users.

The shutdown problem on your system running systemd is either in systemd or in the kernel. You say it can't shutdown with svsV either or from an early breakpoint during boot. This means the problem must be in the kernel. It is the only common factor. Therefore I think this problem should be kicked upstream too. The first step is to look for similar bug reports.
url was:"https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=66171"
linktext was:"For example:"
i cannot shutdown at all, i have to poweroff pressing and holding power off button on case. This problem appeared using 3.12 kernel.
The last post in the bug report said:
My problem was solved when upgraded from kernel 3.16.1 to 3.16.2.
BTW: can anyone else see the systemd shutdown messages? On my systems I've only ever seen them once and that was after I had messed around with the mounting. There was a delay of 5 or 10 seconds then I got the messages and the system shutdown. All the other times, the screen went blank so I could not see anything.
YEAH SHUTDOWN TEXT!!!!!!!!!
I have never seen it again since the first couple of times that went by so quick. It seems to me though that you can see it when there is some sort of"PROBLEM" shutting down that it takes extensive amounts of time... maybe we can make a script with simply (sleep 1000000000000;) in it so that shutdown is purposely delayed for testing? I have not tried this so no idea if it works
BitJam
Update
NB: I'm having problems with the systemd live system so that has been put on the back burner and I am focusing on getting the sysVinit live system working well. Many of these fixes will carry over to the systemd version. The main problem with the systemd live system is doing a safe shutdown/reboot.

Problem: The dpi=xxx boot parameter no longer works.
Solution: Fixed

Problem: No mode settings for persistance while making a new persist file on clean boot.
Solution: FIxed.

Problem: Sometimes persist-save is not running due to another running instance that does not seem to exist
Solution: Remove /usr/local/bin/reboot and /usr/local/bin/halt. This might help fix related problems.

Problem: / etc/default/grub set wrong. No quiet mode, not as nice of a theme as previous, etc... just needs refining being the first time with grub 2.
BTW: The MX installer will fill in the quiet parameter and any other non-live parameters used to boot the Live system.

Problem: Browser is closed when switching / reloading desktop session
This usually does not usually happen. It may be related to flash or other video player. I suggest we close this bug.
skidoo
Alt+f2 raises gExec dialog only in fluxbox. For sake of consistency, consider adding same keybind for iceWM and for JWM

clue toward fixing controlCentre mouse settings dialog:

usr/local/bin/antixmousexset.pl attempts to replace line matching"xset m.*" within .xinitrc
but no such line exists in the shipped etc/skel/.xinitrc so nothing gets replaced.
-=-
I edited .xinitrc to include an xset line. Afterward, I confirmed that changing the value via the gui correctly updates .xinitrc

antixmousexmodemap.pl and antixmousesize.pl are similarly affected (attempting to replace lines which do not exist in the shipped .xinitrc)

Control returns to antixmouse.sh, which calls"xset arg$1 arg$2" and raises a yad dialog"confirming" a setting has been changed ~~
However, the setting has only been changed in terms of a session-duration environment variable.

Still, the above doesn't address the problem I reported earler.
As far as I can tell, no code exists to correctly populate the values displayed to the yad textboxes in the antixmouse.sh dialog.
Instead, each time the dialog opens, the"default" {hardcoded} value for each textbox is displayed.
skidoo
~.fluxbox/overlay (so, from etc/skel)

## Sample file - antiX ##
# add rounded corners to the menu
menu.roundCorners: TopRight TopLeft BottomRight BottomLeft

# add rounded corners to the windows
window.roundCorners: TopRight TopLeft BottomRight BottomLeft

# add rounded corners to the toolbar (only applies to the top corners)
#toolbar.shaped: true

#background: fullscreen
#background.pixmap: /usr/share/fluxbox/styles/sleek2flux/sleek-antix.png
I'm posting the verbatim file contents.
Round corners in the default style is fine by me, but I'm suggesting that everything in this overriding"sample" global overlay file should be outcommented. Otherwise, when user attempts to customize an individual style and the edits don't seem to"take hold"... frustration ensues.
skidoo
not a new bug. A longstanding source of aggravation / confusion... which hopefully can be amended in the next release.

In antiX, the gksu dialog speciously invites user to save password"...blahblah keyring"

(Yeah, I understand: sudoers_timeout=0 is intentional)
What I don't know/understand is why gksu has been configured to operate in"sudo mode" rather than"su mode".
By experimenting, changing via gksu-properties
i discovered that when configured to use"su mode", gksu dialog omits the offer to save password.

Comparing resultant environment variables, seems to me that gksu, in"su mode", with the 2 options ticked in gksu-properties
...produces the same result as when I use the Alt+F2 gedit launcher and tick"root".
Last edited by skidoo on 04 Nov 2014, 19:19, edited 2 times in total.
balloon
I just tested alpha3.

I confirmed that this problem was not improved:
error-of-japanese-translation-t5102.html
rokytnji
I posted earlier in this thread on how gparted is crashing. I have not updated anything on this install. Gparted still crashes with the Icewm menu launcher.
But I guess gksu will keep it going.

BitJam
I agree with skidoo: in the Live tab of the Control Centre, the link to RemasterCC should instead go to the remaster-live program since nothing is gained by going to the RemasterCC from the Live tab.

BTW: I plan to post (on dropbox) a new initrd and an accompanying xtra tarball that contain my fixes for some of the problems that have been found. I plan to only provide a 64-bit version (because the 32-bit version had a lot of problems). I'll start a new thread for it.
james c
Fresh install of 14 a3 RV x64....smooth install with no problems.

$ inxi -F
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 3.17.0-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8 
           Distro: antiX-14-a3-RV_x64-full Killah P 11 October 2014 
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M2N68-AM Plus v: Rev X.0x
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 1003 date: 12/07/2009
CPU:       Quad core AMD Athlon II X4 620 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2611 MHz 2: 2611 MHz 3: 2611 MHz 4: 2611 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.2.6
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Card-2 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller 
           driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound: ALSA v: k3.17.0-antix.1-amd64-smp
Network:   Card: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet driver: forcedeth
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full 
           mac: e0:cb:4e:f6:fb:a4
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000DL002 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 2.5G (14%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda12 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 32.0C mobo: 30.0C gpu: 43.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1819 sys-1: 1344 
Info:      Processes: 143 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 370.0/3956.7MB 
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28 
james@antix1:~
jdmeaux1952
I have been experiencing the same problems with antiX-14RD as everyone else. Earlier today I downloaded kernel 3.17.1--486. All seems to be going better.
dolphin_oracle
i haven't tried it yet because I haven't installed, but what happens to desktop-session if you install say xfce or gnome?
skidoo
(longstanding issue, not a new bug)

Users are discouraged from logging in as root, and sudoers_timeout is set to 0...
...but no attempt is made to prevent / protect user from"surfing the web, using a root-permissioned browser" !

Unless someone proposes a better idea, I'm suggesting that the executable for the preinstalled browser should be renamed,
and replaced by a same-named wrapper script

#!/usr/bin/env bash
if [[ $(id -u) -eq 0 ]]; then sudo -u $USER /usr/bin/iceweasel-real; exit 0;
else /usr/bin/iceweasel-real;
fi
exit 0
looking for a"better idea" because I suspect the wrapper file would be overwritten by dpkg when user upgrades the browser package