masinick
Eino wrote:Simple upgrade from alpha2 to beta1 via smxi that's all.
yes, that will work; you will have all available packages. What you will not automatically get are packages that are new, changed, or removed; an smxi change simply manages the repos that you have set up. So you will have responsibility, if you use that means, to change what you want; what's changed IS available (always) in the repos that are included in the distro.
rokytnji

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F -z
System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.6.11-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX-13-beta1_386-base Ahmad Sami 8 February 2013
Machine:   System: manda product: Intel powered classmate PC version: Gen 1.5L
           Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: American Megatrends version: CM94515A.86A.0024.2008.0715.1716 date: 07/15/2008
CPU:       Single core Intel Core CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@53.3hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 63.3GB (2.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KingSpec_KSD size: 63.3GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 8.7G used: 1.3G (16%) fs: ext2 ID: /home size: 50G used: 112M (1%) fs: ext2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 81 Uptime: 1:05 Memory: 210.6/2015.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.8.34 
M&A Companion Netbook. Tap, Sound,Mic, Flash,Wifi all work.
This boots screaming fast with this new SSD drive. Not scientific, but acted like 3 seconds.

Screenshot is at
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://i45.tinypic.com/32zq3p1.jpg"
linktext was:"http://i45.tinypic.com/32zq3p1.jpg"
====================================

edit:

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@53.3hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 8.0.5
rokytnji
Tested the new GTK Youtube Viewer. Works like a charm. Watched Resident Evil Degeneration movie in mplayer since my TV broke.
dru8274
Hi there all, I am quite around new here. But I have downloaded your latest beta, and am using it as LiveCD w/root persistence. And it is very nice, everything just works. So congratz and thanks.

But one small suggestion here though. To get my wifi working, I needed to enter

rfkill unblock wifi
to enable the wireless-chipset. Of course I quickly fixed that by installing the rfkill package. But I would suggest that the rfkill package be included in the base ISO, or else some folk won't be able to get their networking going. Thanks.
masinick
dru8274 wrote:Hi there all, I am quite around new here. But I have downloaded your latest beta, and am using it as LiveCD w/root persistence. And it is very nice, everything just works. So congratz and thanks.

But one small suggestion here though. To get my wifi working, I needed to enter

rfkill unblock wifi
to enable the wireless-chipset. Of course I quickly fixed that by installing the rfkill package. But I would suggest that the rfkill package be included in the base ISO, or else some folk won't be able to get their networking going. Thanks.
Thanks for that suggestion. I've never had to do that on my hardware, but perhaps your suggestion would be helpful to those who have experienced issues similar to yours.

For me, the Debian Wiki at
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi"
linktext was:"http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi"
====================================
has always worked whenever I have run into issues; however, antiX has not been a system where I've frequently had issues; I had only ONE at a time when too many conflicting drivers were included in an early test release, something that was quickly fixed. Even then, following the suggestions at this Wiki address for my specific hardware resolved my issues, and I've never seen an issue since then.
dru8274
masinick wrote:
dru8274 wrote:I would suggest that the rfkill package be included in the base ISO, or else some folk won't be able to get their networking going. Thanks.
Even then, following the suggestions at this Wiki address for my specific hardware resolved my issues, and I've never seen an issue since then.
This rfkill issue isn't a problem - it is expected behavior, and not to do with drivers. And yes, there are many people out there to whom it will never happens to either.

As I understand it, rfkill is used to switch off your wireless chipset to save power - useful for folk with laptops etc. And if rfkill defaults to unblocked, and you never knowingly block it, then rfkill issues will never arises.

But what if someone runs windows, and they click the checkbox to disable wifi. or similarly with Network Manager, there is a checkbox there that does the same. Such that if someone has been in another OS, left rfkill blocked, and then booted into AntiX, then their wifi is left basically unusable and unfixable.
afab4
I did an antixsnapshot this morning (after upgrading) then used new_usb.sh to make a bootable USB.
I did a fresh install onto my hard drive using the cli-installer.
Everything went well, my fstab is populated. All partitions on my hd are available.
Nice!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
afab4 - you must have used the latest uploads to snapshot and cli-installer. If so, glad it seems to fix tha fstab issue.
I still need to work out how to fix the persist home issue when running a live snapshot. We fixed it manually if you remember.

Note: Latest mupdf and Ted in the repos.

Latest mupdf has full height/width via Shift H/W
afab4
anticapitalista wrote:afab4 - you must have used the latest uploads to snapshot and cli-installer. If so, glad it seems to fix tha fstab issue.
I still need to work out how to fix the persist home issue when running a live snapshot. We fixed it manually if you remember.

Note: Latest mupdf and Ted in the repos.

Latest mupdf has full height/width via Shift H/W
anti,
I just completed setting up persistence on my USB.
I installed live-init-full-antix to the USB and remastered it before setting up the persistence.
After setting up my new rootfs and homefs, I rebooted init 3 to the console and ran MC as root to copy the live/aufs/home/afab4 directory to the new home directory.
I was surprised to find that my home/afab4 directory already existed and there was no need to copy it over.
A subsequent reboot to make sure persistence was working properly and here I am on my new USB with persistence.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
afab4 - the file is live-init-antix (ie no separate ones now for full, base, core).

Not sure if what you describe is supposed to work like that __{{emoticon}}__
afab4
anticapitalista wrote:afab4 - the file is live-init-antix (ie no separate ones now for full, base, core).

Not sure if what you describe is supposed to work like that __{{emoticon}}__
I used synaptic to install live-init and that was the version that it showed. live-init-full-antix 0.2.6.5
I just repeated the scenario with the same result.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
you should install live-init-antix_0.4.5_all

Make sure that the sources list included dev in antiX repo and do not include full (or base or core)

This is how it should be for running bleeding edge antix development.

# antiX
deb http://www.daveserver.info/antiX/debs testing main dev 
At the moment, everytime a new desktops-default file gets uploaded, it changes the repo to remove dev. This is for safety reasons at the moment so an upgrade doesn't destroy installs.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Request for testers to upgrade to the latest 3.7.8 kernal especially for those using old ati/nvidia drivers and see if you can install the drivers.

I need to know if users with old drivers can still run the latest kernel ok. If so, then we will release with 3.7.8 (or later) kernel and not the 3.6.11 one.
afab4
anticapitalista wrote:you should install live-init-antix_0.4.5_all

Make sure that the sources list included dev in antiX repo and do not include full (or base or core)

This is how it should be for running bleeding edge antix development.

# antiX
deb http://www.daveserver.info/antiX/debs testing main dev 
At the moment, everytime a new desktops-default file gets uploaded, it changes the repo to remove dev. This is for safety reasons at the moment so an upgrade doesn't destroy installs.
I did a fresh install to my sda3 partition, upgraded cli-installer, antixsnapshot, and installed live-init-antix 0.4.5 following your directions. I changed my desktop to fluxbox and changed my conky, wallpaper and set up my wireless.
installed MC.
I ran antixsnapshot.
I made a new_usb.sh USB from the snapshot.
Booted up the USB and set up persistence.
Upon the next boot, my home directory was already set up. No messing around with copying it over with MC from the console.
I had speculated that this fortunate anomaly might have been because of my installing live-init to the USB and then remastering. Based on this experience that is not the cause.
Do you have some elves doing some development while you are at work?

EDIT:
I just used the same USB to re-install antiX-13 to my sda3 partition. All went well. My fstab is populated and all partitions available. __{{emoticon}}__
gordoon
anticapitalista
Thanks for the work so far, and the team. I used your distro to give me testing and XFCE4 as I like some bloat around the tummy.

As its my first post, consider me the local village idiot ok?

inxi -v5
System:    Host: box Kernel: 3.7.0-8.dmz.1-liquorix-686 i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.8.3 (Gtk 2.24.9) Distro: antiX-13-beta1_386-base Ahmad Sami 8 February 2013
Machine:   System: ECS product: 945GCT-M2 version: 1.x
           Mobo: ECS model: 945GCT-M2 version: ECS Bios: American Megatrends version: 080012 date: 05/14/2008
CPU:       Dual core Pentium CPU E5200 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 9976.1 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1203.00 MHz 2: 2500.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1680x1050@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 9500 GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 313.18 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7.0-8.dmz.1-liquorix-686
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver: 8139too ver: 0.9.28 port: e800 bus-ID: 02:05.0
           IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:21:97:76:2d:da
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (16.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD800JD size: 80.0GB 
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: N/A rev: N/A dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
Partition: ID: / size: 25G used: 3.0G (13%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sda1 
           label: partone uuid: 27293d40-195a-492e-a1f3-eba8ef91047e
           ID: swap-1 size: 1.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2 
           label: N/A uuid: 5ffcd251-2084-4883-8a15-1dc92ef8ce07
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:51C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 99 Uptime: 26 min Memory: 254.0/2023.5MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.37) inxi: 1.8.38 
2) Is it possible you can put in the forum rules, or have a robot resize screenshots so that they are not greater than a certain size.
Altho it might be too soon to admit to being a pervert, I had to use the scroll (to the right) to look at some screenies in this thread.

eg page one conky image is size 1366x768
I have no objection to snapshots as page 2 as umm a lovely umm lady at size 1280x1024 --the image size not the lady __{{emoticon}}__

I may have more to say after more testing but it says a lot when I groan more about the forum than the distro!

3) And FWIW I am voting against foxit_reader as its too old and IMO epdfview provides a better service.