antiX-17 (Heather Heyer) released
* Based on Debian 9.2 (stretch)
* eudev instead of udev
* Light on resources
* Install to harddrive,
* Set up and run live from an encrypted stick with persistence and remaster
* Frugal install on a partition.
* Option to run bleeding edge Debian Testing (buster) or sid.
The choice is yours!
The most extensive live usb on the planet!
antiX comes in 4 flavours for both 32 and 64 bit processors.
antiX-full (c800MB) -4 windows managers – IceWM (default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm plus full libreoffice suite.
antiX-base (c620MB) -4 windows managers – IceWM (default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm.
antiX-core (c310MB) – no X, but should support most wireless.
antiX-net (c150MB) – no X. Just enough to get you connected (wired) and ready to build.
So what is included?
* Based on Debian Stretch, but without systemd and libsystemd0.
* eudev 3.2-4 replaces udev
* Customised 4.10.5 kernel with fbcondecor splash
* libreoffice 5.2.7-1
* firefox-esr 52.4.0esr
* claws-mail 3.14.1-3+b1
* systemd-free cups for printing
* xmms -for audio
* gnome-mpv – for playing video
* smtube – play youtube videos without a using a browser
* streamlight-antix – stream videos with very low RAM usage.
* evince 3.22.1-3 – pdf reader
* adobe-flashplugin 20170808.1
File managers and desktop:
Convert your video and audio files with:
Connect to the net with:
* ceni – default
* wicd – turned off by default. Use F4 at the live boot menu and choose wicd to turn it on.
* gnome-ppp – if you are still on dial-up
* Midnight Commander
Tools for remastering and creating snapshots of installed system:
* remaster tools
* codecs installer
* ddm-mx – install nvidia drivers
* hexchat – gui chat
* luckybackup – excellent backup tool. There’s nothing lucky about it!
* simple-scan – for scanning documents
* transmission-gtk – torrent downloader
* wingrid-antix – turn the stacking window managers into tilers.
* xf86-video-sis-antix – added since it is not in Debian jessie
* Xfburn for burning cd/dvd
* connectshares-antix for network shares
* droopy-antix – an easy way to transfer files over the net.
* mirage – image viewer
* package-installer – install applications easily and safely
* antiX Control Centre – an easy way to do just about anything!
* streamtuner2 – listen to streaming radio
* cherrytree – note taking application
Why not try out our included ‘cli’ apps:
* Editors: nano and vim
* Newsreader: newsbeuter
* Chat: irssi
* Audio player: mocp
* Radio: pmrp
* Video player: mpv
* Youtube video: mps-youtube
* Audio ripper: abcde
* Torrent: rtorrent
* Cd burner: cdw
* Writer: Wordgrinder
* cli-aptiX – command line synaptics
* live-kernel-updater – update kernel when running live
* lxkeymap – gui to set system localisation
* fskbsetting – gui to set live localisation
* backlight-brightness – usefull tool for laptops
* antiX-cli-cc – command line control centre
Cool in-house antiX apps available in the repos:
* 1-to-1-voice-antix – Voice chat between two pcs via encrypted mumble
* 1-to-1-assistance-antix – Remote access help application
* ssh-conduit – Remote resouces via an ssh encypted connection
”Great ”’LiveUSB”’ features:”
o fast boot times without systemd
o auto-customizable bootloaders (legacy and uefi)
o easy persistence and easy frugal installs
o remasters and respins
o legacy and 32-bit uefi and 64-bit uefi
o encrypted live usb
If you want Debian without systemd, give antiX a try. It works great on old boxes and the latest and greatest.
Many thanks to all who worked, tested, promoted and helped antiX.
* Translators at antiX Launchpad
* rokytnji, masinick, dark-D, rust collector, eugen-b, skidoo, peregrine, jdmeaux1952, spaceman, jerry, fatmac, balloon, chrispop99, Shay, kmathern, Paul and others I may have forgotten for testing, contributing to antiX and promoting antiX as widely as possible.
* SamK for unplugdrive.sh, JWM conguration files, droopy, Connectshares, streamlight, wingrid, ssh-conduit, 1-to-1_assistance, 1-1_voice.
* Adrian for many MX Linux tools that we de-branded for use on antiX such as iso-snapshot, bootrepair, broadcom-manager, codecs, packageinstaller (which replaces meta-package installer)
* SliTaz for mountbox.
* Maato for volumeicon http://softwarebakery.com/maato/volumeicon.html
* Michael Deelwater for burniso.
* firstname.lastname@example.org for ps_initrd.sh.
* tradetaxfree for zram script.
* P@draigBrady.com for ps_mem.py.
* hakerdefo for pmrp
* kexolino for the wallpaper Wooden as well as Consuming_the_light_side and pier
* linux-bbq for cool scripts (discover them)!
* angband devs for some systemd-free debs
not forgetting, of course,
* antiX Community
* MX Linux Community
* Debian team and volunteers.
* All software developers.
and all users, testers, suggesters, torrent seeders and friends at antiX and MX Linux forums.
and many more…
anticapitalista, 25 October 2017, Thessaloniki.
14 thoughts on “antiX-17 released”
after many releases, the gcc is included but can not compile because stdio.h can’t be found. Will this be fixed?
Post on the forum
How great to see this exciting announcement on the new shiny website!
Indeed it is!
Karen (and Richb) helped us out a lot.
We really do appreciate it.
anticapitalista thanks you
what is root pwd in live?
When prompted for password, enter demo.
Root password (not sudo) is root.
I love this project. I left Arch Linux and Debian because of SystemD and or poor quality releases. Antix (MX, too) for me is a shining beacon in the sea of meh. Thank you!
Congratulations on the new release. I’ll cover it on It’s FOSS soon. Keep up the good work 🙂
I’m so happy to see yet another release make it out the door. We keep “getting bigger” with what we produce, and antiX “Full” isn’t really a “small” distribution, but it still is a “light and nimble” distribution.
I ordered antiX 17 Full from OSDisc, but I couldn’t wait, so I just downloaded antiX 17 Base and I’m gonna put it on a USB and give it a spin and maybe install it. As always, I fully expect this distribution to install cleanly, and even if there are defects in any of the software (some of which we inherit from the source), I think you will find that this collection is smartly conceived, well engineered, thoughtfully put together, and depending what specific utilities, tools, and applications you choose to run, it can be quite nimble and fast.
It’s getting more and more difficult to create a system that can run on recent equipment and also run on older equipment. If your hardware doesn’t work right with 17, we’ve had pretty good luck getting stuff to work with 13.2 and 15, two of the most flexible releases we’ve done. You’ll have to carefully update your system if you have to use one of the older versions; 17 is pretty current, and it’s a great blend of light but still very functional software. I’ll have my hands on the final result shortly – it finished downloading and I’m going to give it a try.
Oh happy day! I’m downloading it as I type. Couldn’t get the torrent to work (no idea why – but it looked like no one was seeding) so I’m doing a direct download from the Italian mirror!
I wish I could put this on my Chromebook being that my desktop died. I read up on this distro and it appears to be very good. Maybe I can get another regular computer to put this on.
Espero que puedas entender español…quiero darte las gracia por esta excelente distribución…vengo de ubuntu…la verdad que tengo alguna pcs viejas en las que lubuntu no corria con fluidez y decidi probar tu distro…gratamente me sorprendio que a pesar de ser una ultra light distribuicion supera con creces a muchos sistemas operativos… acaba de instalar el sistema en una pIv con 1gb de ram y corre de maravillas…estoy sorprendido..totas las otras distros de linux se han vuelto tan pesadas!
de verdad te felicito… estoy seguro que esta distro pasara a ser muy grande!!!
Comments are closed.