michmanbiker
Just a question before I do so. Should I get 32 for a 2G machine or 64?

Thanks,

Michel
dolphin_oracle
michmanbiker wrote:Just a question before I do so. Should I get 32 for a 2G machine or 64?

Thanks,

Michel
if it is a relatively modern netbook with 2g, I run 64 bit because I like google-chrome for a browser and there is no 32 bit. but I've been running 32 bit for testing lately and its pretty good. since netflix works in firefox now, google-chrome is less important...
michmanbiker
I formatted the drive on a windows machine and flashed it with rufus. Used the 32 bit version and i managed to boot into the live session.

wicid is not available but I manged to use ceni and get wireless up and running, why is wicid not included in the base install?

I was also shocked by the ram usage. I loaded firefox, office 5, and a claw mail, synaptic, and a couple more applications and I was still below 500k of memory usage! Is that the 32 bit effect?

Michel
fatmac
I'm on a 64bit 16.2 (I think), & I'm using only 475 of ram with Firefox running under Fluxbox, this is AntiX, not *buntu, it is designed to use as little resources as possible. __{{emoticon}}__
michmanbiker
A clear answer would be much appreciated if I want to do a final install. 64 or 32 bit for a windows 8 NB with 2G of ram?

Thanks,

Michel
dolphin_oracle
michmanbiker wrote:A clear answer would be much appreciated if I want to do a final install. 64 or 32 bit for a windows 8 NB with 2G of ram?

Thanks,

Michel
1. Do you have a 64bit capable processor? (win 8 is likely but not required). is win 8 64bit?

2. Do you use google-chrome... if yes, 64 bit is only option.

3. pretty much for anything else 32 bit is fine...will use somewhat less ram but neither will be real taxing on your system.

In other words...your system is modern enough that it likely doesn't matter a whole lot, so it comes down to what you want to do with it. personally, if you have a 64bit processor, I would go with 64 bit.
raqhi
michmanbiker wrote:I formatted the drive on a windows machine and flashed it with rufus. Used the 32 bit version and i managed to boot into the live session.

wicid is not available but I manged to use ceni and get wireless up and running, why is wicid not included in the base install?

I was also shocked by the ram usage. I loaded firefox, office 5, and a claw mail, synaptic, and a couple more applications and I was still below 500k of memory usage! Is that the 32 bit effect?

Michel
Hi Michel,

wicid is available in Control Centre > Network.

R
michmanbiker
I am running Antix 16 64 bit so I guess I will install 17 64 to keep my options open. Just thought the 32 bit version might be less taxing on ram.

Thanks for pointing out wicid location.

Michel
michmanbiker
fatmac wrote:I'm on a 64bit 16.2 (I think), & I'm using only 475 of ram with Firefox running under Fluxbox, this is AntiX, not *buntu, it is designed to use as little resources as possible. __{{emoticon}}__
Are ubuntu based distros really less effective in resource use? How?

Michel
fatmac
From my experience, yes, they seem to include a lot of unnecessary stuff, as far as I'm concerned, which takes up more resources.

They don't target their distros at older equipment, unlike AntiX, (& a few other distros).

It's a personal point of view, some other distros are also 'guilty' of using lots of resources, to my mind, unnecessarily. __{{emoticon}}__