topic title: Upgrading 6.5
DJiNN
Hi there.

Been playing around with (& am currently using to type this post on) AntiX 6.5 which is a great little distro, and runs really sweet on this old PIII 733mhz with only 128mb RAM. Congrats on a great job well done. __{{emoticon}}__

I'm also just in the process of downloading M7 (RC3?). Could anyone tell me if it would be better to just"Start again" as it were, with a fresh install of M7, or is there a way of"Upgrading" version 6.5 to the latest release version?

Any help would be much appreciated, and i look forward to seeing where this distro will go. I think it has a LOT of mileage! __{{emoticon}}__

Cheers........

DJiNN
moron
DJiNN
Do a clean install of Antix_M7. Like its parent OS (Mepis 7) Antix is making the move to debian repositories. You can save you home partition though if you'd like.
DJiNN
moron wrote:DJiNN
Do a clean install of Antix_M7. Like its parent OS (Mepis 7) Antix is making the move to debian repositories. You can save you home partition though if you'd like.
Hey, thanks for the reply moron..... i'm just about to do that right now. I really like the whole layout of 6.5, so i'm hoping that, although there'll be changes, it won't change"too" much! __{{emoticon}}__

Still..... here goes...... see you on the other side, and thanks once again.

DJiNN
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Welcome to antiX DJiNN

Which antiX have you downloaded?
I ask as antiX will be released as a final on Monday (unless there is some disaster in the meantime) and it will include some scripts and upgrades not in rc2.

The scripts are mainly used to help speed up the livecd for those with limited RAM, so if you don't plan on using the livecd much, you could upgrade through apt-get.

Enjoy antiX!
UnicornRider
anticapitalista wrote: so if you don't plan on using the livecd much, you could upgrade through apt-get
... and add the scripts by hand (only) if need be - it's not that difficult (see
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku.php/mepis:antix:devel"
linktext was:"this page"
====================================
for details or just ask me - I'm here ...).
DJiNN
anticapitalista wrote:Welcome to antiX DJiNN

Which antiX have you downloaded?
I ask as antiX will be released as a final on Monday (unless there is some disaster in the meantime) and it will include some scripts and upgrades not in rc2.

The scripts are mainly used to help speed up the livecd for those with limited RAM, so if you don't plan on using the livecd much, you could upgrade through apt-get.

Enjoy antiX!
Thanks for the welcome. antiX is great, and i have just installed M7 RC1 and have just started Synaptic to get the latest changes/upgrades etc. All seems to be working OK so far. __{{emoticon}}__

I did try upgrading & keeping my old /home partition, but there was something that was causing a problem somewhere & i couldn't Log in.... so i just copied all the relevant stuff that i wanted to keep (to a different partition) & then did a clean install.

I'll probably use antiX as an install rather than a Live CD, but it's always useful to have the Live CD around and if it's capable of running faster then that can't be a bad thing. __{{emoticon}}__

I'm also using it to learn more about Fluxbox & Debian, so i'll be asking more than a few questions. __{{emoticon}}__

DJiNN
DJiNN
UnicornRider wrote: ... and add the scripts by hand (only) if need be - it's not that difficult (see
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku.php/mepis:antix:devel"
linktext was:"this page"
====================================
for details or just ask me - I'm here ...).
Thanks for that...... much appreciated. I've bookmarked your page as well.... it's a good reference. __{{emoticon}}__

DJiNN
anticapitalista
Site Admin
DJiNN

There have been quite a lot of changes between antiX-rc1 and rc2 and the final that won't appear by simply upgrading.

So unless you are really happy with rc1, I would either wait for the final or install rc2.

Whatever you do, enjoy antiX.
DJiNN
anticapitalista wrote:DJiNN

There have been quite a lot of changes between antiX-rc1 and rc2 and the final that won't appear by simply upgrading.

So unless you are really happy with rc1, I would either wait for the final or install rc2.

Whatever you do, enjoy antiX.
Thanks for that..... i'll wait for the final release & then D/L & install. In the meantime, i shall carry on playing around with this release just to learn as much as possible..... it can only help in the long run. __{{emoticon}}__

As for enjoying it..... it's hard NOT to enjoy..... it's so good. Congrats once again on such a great little distro.... long may it continue.

DJiNN
coyotito
WHATTabout upgrading from 6.5 to Ubuntu feisty, gutsy and then
Hardy?? THATS what I wanna try!!
__{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
Urban
Well, that would be an extreme downgrade. Then an upgrade from the down grade. And finally a slight upgrade over the current version of antiX. Then you would upgrade to the new version of antiX coming out soon.
coyotito
coyotito
i was joking but I think it can be taken to gutsy from Spartacus.
Thing is there are some things I do want that stop working in Debian testing (and my machines dont need anything newer than Etch or mepis 6x).
How could 6.5 --> gutsy be downgrading anything?

Many things are possible actually --f.ex adding easy wpa support to Debian etch by adding mepis 6 repos and installing mnetwork
(gotta use a mepis kernel if you want it all point and click)
__{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
eriefisher
Dapper which 6.5 is based on was solid. I never tried the next one(which I can't remember the name at the moment). Feisty also worked real good for me but when I upgraded to Gutsy via net upgrade everything broke and I got tired of fixing everything everytime I booted up so I dumped it and went back to Mepis(pre7) and then moved to Antix. I have not tried Hardy but have heard some good thing about it but I'm afraid to try it. I don't want to go through all that again.

My advice, stick with Antix and move to 7.?? if you can.

eriefisher
coyotito
Yes, ubuntu in practice needs to be reinstalled from scratch if you go from one LTS release to another.
But antiX Spartacus is a limited install so there is less that can go wrong, the system can be fixed after an upgrade to Gutsy.
There is nothing in between Dapper and Feisty. This is 6.06 and 7.04, two different main releases.

I have two recurring problems:
1.Norwegian localization. The only distro that gives you this in console
and lightweight X desktops is Debian Etch. The support is not complete but it's the best there is and you can work on it yourself of course. This is much worse in Debian testing.

2. The new ata/sata kernel setup where all is sda gives problems on my 2 ide disks on the desktop and the ide disk on the laptop -prints error messages about ERR something, Emask exception and more crap, delays boot considerably.

Ubuntu gives good localisation in console but in lightweight X environments it reverts to English even though i install all lang packs, set lang to no and fix all i can find of locale config files.
Moreover i tried Gutsy and found that it is considerably slower than a similar etch installation. So instead of buying memory or new pc i run etch..

So for me the thing would be a purely etch-based antix. But i land on pure Etch with some picks from mepis 6 on the laptop.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Have you tried a 'sidded' antiX?

You could also try using a sidux kernel (but you would need to use debian sid in antiX-M7