BitJam
jbander wrote:Yup cfdisk is what I'm looking for, thank you
In antiX-17 you can get to cfdisk and some other great command line tools via our new command line control centre: antiX-cli-cc. If you are a fan of command line tools it would be great to get your feedback on it.

I don't know how you would install antiX-cli-cc on antiX-16.2. Someone else may know. Here are instructions for cloning my github repo and running it there:

Code: Select all

apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/console-grid-gui.git
cd console-grid-gui
bin/antiX-cli-cc
We've tried to beef up our command line support in antiX-17 so you might be better off trying the beta-3. If commands aren't available they don't show up in the control centre. Several command line programs have been added to antiX-17, including a command line substitute for synaptic called cli-aptiX.
jbander
BitJam wrote:
jbander wrote:Yup cfdisk is what I'm looking for, thank you
In antiX-17 you can get to cfdisk and some other great command line tools via our new command line control centre: antiX-cli-cc. If you are a fan of command line tools it would be great to get your feedback on it.

I don't know how you would install antiX-cli-cc on antiX-16.2. Someone else may know. Here are instructions for cloning my github repo and running it there:

Code: Select all

apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/console-grid-gui.git
cd console-grid-gui
bin/antiX-cli-cc
We've tried to beef up our command line support in antiX-17 so you might be better off trying the beta-3. If commands aren't available they don't show up in the control centre. Several command line programs have been added to antiX-17, including a command line substitute for synaptic called cli-aptiX.
Nice , It might be time to make the jump to 17, I like the idea of stability though. Thanks bitjam
BitJam
jbander wrote:Nice , It might be time to make the jump to 17, I like the idea of stability though. Thanks bitjam
For testing you can run a live-usb while keeping your current stable system. If you make it with live-usb-maker then we will save some configurations for you automatically (like wifi passwords) and you can save everything with persistence and or live-remaster.
jbander
BitJam wrote:
jbander wrote:Nice , It might be time to make the jump to 17, I like the idea of stability though. Thanks bitjam
For testing you can run a live-usb while keeping your current stable system. If you make it with live-usb-maker then we will save some configurations for you automatically (like wifi passwords) and you can save everything with persistence and or live-remaster.
I have changed Antix for what my interests are, It took me about 20 dvd's/cd's to get it to this point. When I added a block of changes that stayed sound ,I ran it through Bleachbit and then I ran a ISO snapshot of it and moved onto more Adding and subtracting apps. I'm down to under 60 megs. I like the idea of trying the same with 17
BitJam
jbander wrote:I have changed Antix for what my interests are, It took me about 20 dvd's/cd's to get it to this point. When I added a block of changes that stayed sound ,I ran it through Bleachbit and then I ran a ISO snapshot of it and moved onto more Adding and subtracting apps. I'm down to under 60 megs. I like the idea of trying the same with 17
Holy cow! I am delighted that you chose antiX as the base for creating your own custom distro. We try to encourage this and have tried to make it as easy as possible. But ISTM it would be so much easier and quicker to use live-remaster. Your situation is exactly what live-remaster was designed for. Also, if you want to save small changes without remastering every time then enable root persistence as well.

IOW: snapshot + burn cd/dd + boot cd/dvd (+ install?) = live-remaster + 1 reboot

We streamlined the process for you. We even provide an option to label and archive previous versions. The"rollback" boot code allows you to effortlessly go back to the previous version, including root persistence. The live-usb-storage feature gives you easy access to all of the space on the live-usb for storing things even if no form of persistence is enabled. These files will stay out of the live-remaster (and snapshot) as well.

With the frugal install option you can turn an internal hard drive partition into a live-usb in order to get the speed and storage of a"real" drive. If you want off-site backups, live-usb-maker will clone your existing live system onto a usb-stick (which is much faster than a remaster or a snapshot). If you really want iso backups, snapshot runs on the live system as well.
jbander
BitJam wrote:
jbander wrote:I have changed Antix for what my interests are, It took me about 20 dvd's/cd's to get it to this point. When I added a block of changes that stayed sound ,I ran it through Bleachbit and then I ran a ISO snapshot of it and moved onto more Adding and subtracting apps. I'm down to under 60 megs. I like the idea of trying the same with 17
Holy cow! I am delighted that you chose antiX as the base for creating your own custom distro. We try to encourage this and have tried to make it as easy as possible. But ISTM it would be so much easier and quicker to use live-remaster. Your situation is exactly what live-remaster was designed for. Also, if you want to save small changes without remastering every time then enable root persistence as well.

IOW: snapshot + burn cd/dd + boot cd/dvd (+ install?) = live-remaster + 1 reboot

We streamlined the process for you. We even provide an option to label and archive previous versions. The"rollback" boot code allows you to effortlessly go back to the previous version, including root persistence. The live-usb-storage feature gives you easy access to all of the space on the live-usb for storing things even if no form of persistence is enabled. These files will stay out of the live-remaster (and snapshot) as well.

With the frugal install option you can turn an internal hard drive partition into a live-usb in order to get the speed and storage of a"real" drive. If you want off-site backups, live-usb-maker will clone your existing live system onto a usb-stick (which is much faster than a remaster or a snapshot). If you really want iso backups, snapshot runs on the live system as well.[/quot
I haven't been able to ISO Snapshot my Distro off of a live source, The dead end is burning with Xfburn. It won't. How many Rollbacks can I use with live-remaster. I made a small mistake in my seventh reburn update and didn't find it until I got to my 11th burn update, So I had to backtrack to seven to make the corrections and then move on from 7 again. I try to run my latest for ideally a week to pick out any mistakes. It is so easy to get ahead of yourself and having to backtrack. Thanks for the help. I really like Antix , it's the best stable base to work on, that I have found,
BitJam
jbander wrote:I haven't been able to ISO Snapshot my Distro off of a live source, The dead end is burning with Xfburn. It won't.
But surely the snapshot program does not depend on xfburn. Then you can use live-usb-maker to convert the iso file to a live-usb. In a nutshell, live-remaster combines the snapshot + live-usb-maker steps into one step. By doing this, you get to skip the installation step. In addition, you get to keep most of the settings you made on your live-usb. If you are more comfortable with managing a bunch of iso files yourself, doing snapshots of the live system and then using live-usb-maker to make a new live-usb is another approach but I think live-remaster is far better. I suggest you periodically back up your remaster archive (or iso archive) to at least two other devices.
How many Rollbacks can I use with live-remaster. I made a small mistake in my seventh reburn update and didn't find it until I got to my 11th burn update,
We allow you to easily archive *all* of your remasters. The automatic rollback via the"rollback" cheat only goes back one step and won't go back more. But all the other steps are saved for easy access. You would need manually copy a file (or files) from the archive to rollback more than one step. This was never automated because there was never any demand for it. For me, copying a file on the command line is less painful than booting a cd and much less painful than burning one. It also seems likely that you won't need to go back multiple steps frequently. The important thing is we offer to archive your past remasters as you move forward. The limitation is the size of the live device you are booting from.

This system was designed to do exactly what you are trying to do. It was our attempt to make the development of a custom distro as quick and as easy as possible. It would probably help if I created a little cheat-sheet of instructions, such as how to change labels after the fact and how to manually rollback multiple steps. Again, up until now there has been zero demand for this outside of our small circle of devs.

H'mm. Currently the archive may not include kernels and initrds but I think it would be trivial for us to add them. This would only come into play if you want to change the kernel. The archive was designed many years ago well before updating the live kernel was on the horizon. I will make sure this gets added before the next antiX-17 release. TBH, I don't know if anyone besides devs/testers have ever used the archive feature seriously.

I also have a trick or two for making smallish changes to the live system that survive reboots without using remaster or persistence. I use these constantly during development. I don't know if they would be useful to you or not.
BitJam
BTW: if you are ever interested in making a Debian based distro, even for your own use, we also supply a tool called build-iso which is used to create all of the MX Linux and antiX Linux releases. The snapshot/remaster approaches is great for experimenting and figuring out what you want to do and what works but if you want to maintain a distro over years or if you want to have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions available then the next step, after experimenting with snapshot/remaster is to use build-iso to build your own distro from scratch.
jbander
BitJam wrote:BTW: if you are ever interested in making a Debian based distro, even for your own use, we also supply a tool called build-iso which is used to create all of the MX Linux and antiX Linux releases. The snapshot/remaster approaches is great for experimenting and figuring out what you want to do and what works but if you want to maintain a distro over years or if you want to have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions available then the next step, after experimenting with snapshot/remaster is to use build-iso to build your own distro from scratch.
Great support bitjam , I still have weeks to go on this distro I'm working on but I would really like to look at build ISO sometime in the future. I love to see you get exited about this, it speaks well for the future of Antix and linux.