thriftee
Can't update via apt-get or synaptic, and no sound.

I believe its the same problem. Synaptic says it"Could not download all repository indexes". apt-get gives errors on sites saying it can't get the lists of current versions from them. I thought maybe it was the internal LAN adapter on the machine, so I disabled it and put in an SMC PCI NIC card, and configured it, but I still get the problem.

This is with a new machine, to replace the old dual P III 750 I was running. The new one is a Core 2 Quad with 4 gb running on a Gigabyte motherboard with an nVidia dual DVI video using the Vesa driver at the moment. It a fresh install from an 8.2 CD, and what I was trying to do is get all the packages up to date, because I was having problems with sound on my previous install, where alsaconf was not even installed, from the looks of it, and I couldn't reinstall the package because of the connection problems, so finally I decided to reload.

Any ideas?

Looks like the m/b has Realtek ALC662 codec and Realtek 8111B LAN chip

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2676&ProductName=GA-P31-S3G"
linktext was:"http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mothe ... GA-P31-S3G"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Last edited by thriftee on 06 Oct 2009, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
thriftee
Well, after installing an SMC nic card (2nd or 3rd one I tried) apt-get update finally ran no errors, so I ran apt-get upgrade. It got some errors, but at least managed to get most of the code up to date.

I also flashed the BIOS in case that was the cause, like it was with the LAN on my eVga m/b.

The alsaconf program is now there. I ran it, and then the mixer, but still no sound.

the audio line of lspci says

Code: Select all

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
lsmod says

# lsmod | grep -i snd
snd_hda_intel         336912  3 
snd_pcm_oss            34720  0 
snd_mixer_oss          14208  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                58756  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy           4484  0 
snd_seq_oss            26880  0 
snd_seq_midi            7584  0 
snd_rawmidi            18592  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      7552  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                41968  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              18440  3 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          7564  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    42660  13 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               7648  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          8584  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
Any ideas or suggestions?

PS: I plugged headphones in and I really do have some sound, ut its just too faint to drive the little speakers. You can even hear it a little bit in the speakers if you put them up to your ears. Any ideas?
Last edited by thriftee on 06 Oct 2009, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
rokytnji
Aumix is what I use to turn up sound.

It is under Multimedia>audio>mixer

Also have you configured sound correctly in Control Center>Hardware>Configure Sound System?
thriftee
Yes, I think I did both of those. My suspicion is that I might need a specific model in the file in modprobe.d, but I wouldn't have a clue what to put in. It was set to model=auto before.
thriftee
oh boy... where to start... all very odd...

I got both onboard LAN and Sound to work under debian 5.03 i386 by connecting the front panel sound connector marked AC97 to the Audio output on the m/b instead of using the connector marked HD Audio. It only works from the front panel jack, and not real loud, but at least it works that way. The onboard LAN worked without doing anything special. debian 5.0 rc2 couldn't even get through the install without locking up completely when trying to download packages that were not on CD #1.

Under antiX, the onboard LAN appears to be working at the moment, but sound is completely hosed, and won't even run alsaconf from the toolbox icon. LOL, I suspect it might go back to working after another fresh install. I like the user interface on antiX better than debian, but I'm not sure how much more punishment I can take. Its 4:30 am after almost a week of fighting to get a machine running, most of which was caused by 2 m/b's with different troubles, not o/s software.

Given that I went from a 5 slot m/b to 4 and need 3 of them for video cards to run my 6 screens, I'd really rather not need to run a PCI sound or LAN card. I might give it one more try tomorrow.
thriftee
Ok, I reinstalled from scratch again. Sound now works after installing amplified speakers.

apt-get is back to errors when trying to update, though. I'm beginning to think its the site and not my on board LAN card...

W: Failed to fetch
url was:"http://security.debian.org/dists/testing/updates/Release.gpg"
linktext was:"http://security.debian.org/dists/testin ... elease.gpg"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false Temporary failure resolving 'security.debian.org'

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
rokytnji
There has been times when I have gotten errors on apt-get. I think it had to do with Debian servers. Because later when I tried again. Everything would be ok. So it is not unusual sometimes.
thriftee
tried apt-get update, and only got 1 error, a different server this time, and so i ran apt-get upgrade, which seemed to run well till the end. this is the msg at the end...

If it's a bug in the package it should be reported to the BTS ↑
│ and fixed in the package. See ▒

url was:"http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/D"
linktext was:"http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/D"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false ... yBasedBoot for more ▒
│ information about how to fix the problems preventing migration. To ▒
│ reattempt the migration process after the problems have been fixed, run ▒
│ 'dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc'. ▒
│ ▒
│ The following problems were detected: insserv: warning: script ▒
│ 'S27mepis-network.sh' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: ▒
│ script 'mepis-network.sh' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: ▒
│ warning: script 'ejecrcd' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: There ▒
│ is a loop between service usplash and ejecrcd if stopped, insserv: loop ▒
│ involving service ejecrcd at depth 2, insserv: loop involving service ▮
│ usplash at depth 1,

Evidently, that was an error on one package, not the end. It looks like wicd can't update, either. Is wicd just for wireless or all network cards? I don't have wireless, but would like to get any network related code up to date given my possible LAN card problem.

error text on wicd as follows:

Setting up wicd (1.6.2.2-1) ...
adduser: The user `demo' does not exist.
dpkg: error processing wicd (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
wicd
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
secipolla
First, I think (pardon me) Wicd is a network manager, that is, it manages network connections. I have only ethernet connection so I simply purged wicd.
Besides that, it does give errors on upgrade. See:
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/upgrading-antix-m8-2-intel-and-xorg-problems-t1989.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/upgrading-a ... t1989.html"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

ejecrcd is a wrong named file in /etc/init.d - rename it to ejectcd

This mepisnetwork.sh issue may have something to do with the mepis server, which we see are troublesome sometimes when updating.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
To add about the lsb errors.
Following Debian Testing, the upgrade now wants users to use Dependency Based Boot via insserv (it is faster).
This happens automatically on upgrade, except it doesn't on antiX-M8.2 (and earlier) because of the lsb errors in ejecrcd and mepis-network.

Solution 1:
1. Remove /etc/init.d/ejecrcd file as root with the file manager and remove mepis-network (apt-get purge mepis-network)
2. In a rooot terminal dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc and choose yes.

Solution 2:
1. In /etc/init.d edit the ejecrcd file to look like this and rename in ejectcd. Same with mepis-network
2. In a rooot terminal dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc and choose yes.

#!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          ejectcd
# Required-Start:    
# Required-Stop:     
# Default-Start:     
# Default-Stop:      
# Description: Starts ejectcd
# short-description: ejectcd
### END INIT INFO

# Try to cache everything we're likely to need after ejecting.  This
# is fragile and simple-minded, but our options are limited.
cache_path() {
    path="$1"

if [ -d"$path" ]; then
        find"$path" -type f | xargs cat > /dev/null 2>&1
    elif [ -f"$path" ]; then
        if [ -x"$path" ]; then
            if file"$path" | grep -q 'dynamically linked'; then
                for lib in $(ldd"$path" | awk '{ print $3 }'); do
                    cache_path"$lib"
                done
            fi
        fi
        cat"$path" >/dev/null 2>&1
    fi
}

# Do if running from CD
if [ -e /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev ]; then
case"$(cat /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev 2>/dev/null)" in 256|0x100) 
  for path in $(which halt) $(which reboot) /etc/rc?.d /etc/default; do
    cache_path"$path"
  done
  # just do it
  # this is only relavent when booted from CD
  # otherwise /cdrom never exists
  eject -p -m /cdrom >/dev/null 2>&1
  sleep 5
  ;;
esac
fi

exit 0

#!/bin/bash
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          mepis-network
# Required-Start:    
# Required-Stop:    
# Default-Start:     
# Default-Stop:      
# Description: Starts mepis-network configuration 
# short-description: mepis-network configuration
### END INIT INFO

PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin"
export PATH

umask 022

# Ignore these signals: INT, TERM, SEGV
trap"" 2 3 11

# No kernel messages while probing modules
echo"0" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

# Read in boot parameters
CMDLINE="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"

isbootparam(){
case"$CMDLINE" in *$1*) return 0;; esac
return 1
}
NDIS="yes"
if [ -f /etc/default/mepis-network ]; then
  . /etc/default/mepis-network
fi
if ["$NDIS" ="yes" ]; then
 if ! isbootparam"nonet"; then
  if ! isbootparam"nondis"; then
   modprobe ndiswrapper
  fi
 fi
fi
 # workaround: intel 536 driver has no module_device_table so it must be started manually
 /usr/bin/lspci | /bin/grep '536EP' >/dev/null 2>&1
 if [ $? = 0 ]; then
  /sbin/modprobe Intel536 >/dev/null 2>&1
 else
  # workaround: alsa sl modem needs setup delay before starting daemon
  # modem link will fail if another modem got it first
  /bin/lsmod | /bin/grep -e 'snd_intel8x0m' -e 'snd_via82xx_modem' -e 'snd_atiixp_modem' >/dev/null 2>&1
  if [ $? = 0 ]; then
   ln -s /dev/ttySL0 /dev/modem >/dev/null 2>&1
   /usr/sbin/slmodemd --alsa --country=USA >/dev/null 2>&1 &
  fi
 fi

echo"6" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

# Re-enable signals
trap 2 3 11

exit 0

thriftee
Anti, that looks to have fixed almost all of it.

It still gets a little error on wicd. Since I don't have wireless on this machine, can I safely remove wicd?

thanks much for the help...
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Yes, remove wicd if you don't have wireless. It will save you a few RAM as well __{{emoticon}}__
dark-D
anticapitalista wrote: Solution 1:
1. Remove /etc/init.d/ejecrcd file as root with the file manager and remove mepis-network (apt-get purge mepis-network)
[/code]
i played with the solution. if i purge mepis-network, mnetwork gets uninstalled, /etc/network/interfaces is removed and ceni will not work without it. solved it by using the old interfaces file.
thriftee
anti,

removing wicd worked and I now get a clean update and upgrade on apt-get

thanks much for the help

I have now moved on to getting my nvidia cards working, and unfortunately hit a snag on that with what loos to be a very old version of nvidia-kernel-common 20051028+1-0.1 being what is there, (vs 20080825+1 on my debian 5.03), end result being I can't use X with the nvidia driver because it fails to load, even if I just set it up with 1 screen of one card.

I don't think I did anything wrong to cause it. I just selected the nvidia packages in synaptic to install, and hit apply. I have tried removing and complete removal, and reinstall but can't even remove that old package, getting a 127 error. Tried it in apt-get, too and that was getting a bunch of errors, too. I pasted it in in case anyone wanted to see. Try to keep in mind I don't really want to remove it, but am only trying to clean it out to try a fresh reinstall, because I need to use the nvidia X driver in order to support my 7600 GT card and 2 FX 5500 cards at the same time because nvidia's proprietary drivers for the two are different. I managed to get it working fine under debian 5.03 without any trouble, and that is why I pointed out the dramatically different version of nvidia-kernel-common being used.

Its such a shame to hit that snag after you so excellently (is that a word?) helped clean up my sound and lan issues caused I suspect by the newness of those components.

root@antixgiga:/home/bobc# apt-get remove nvidia-kernel-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  nvidia-kernel-common
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 85 not upgraded.
After this operation, 115kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 60479 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing nvidia-kernel-common ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/nvidia-kernel-common.prerm: 7: update-modules: not found
dpkg: error processing nvidia-kernel-common (--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
insserv: warning: script 'K02nvidia-kernel' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'nvidia-kernel' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (S) of script `planb_rc-5.sh' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `eeepc-acpi-scripts' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (S) of script `planb_rc-S.sh' overwrites defaults (empty).
Errors were encountered while processing:
 nvidia-kernel-common
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@antixgiga:/home/bobc# 
secipolla
Just thinking. I tried to fix that Dependency Based Boot (dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc) thing but it didn't succeed because of the nVidia driver (MEPIS package 185.18) that was probably built without that feature. So I just leave it the way it is.

So maybe if you can revert to the old boot method then your nVidia drivers will work again. Only you'ld have some error messages when updating/upgrading but nothing that would make the system unusable (I myself didn't update yet since I tried to fiddle with this).