thriftee
There were errors before I shut it down that I couldn't save the toolbar because I was out of space.

So I deleted anything in my directory that wasn't needed, and shutdown. At the end of the shutdown it stapped because it couldn't unmount something, but it didn't say what or what I should do, other than to say press enter to shutdown, which is what I did.

When it came back up, its 1/2 stock and 1/2 what i had. It has my conky, but is running fluxbox instead of icewm.

I guess the most important thing is to find out if my root and home persistence files are corrupt and try to recover.

Anyone been here before?
Last edited by thriftee on 05 Nov 2016, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
rokytnji
Run a live session of gparted from a cd or whatever and run a check on your persistent usb stick.

You probably corrupted the file system on the usb drive with a improper unmount.
I've been there, done that. On a SD card antix install way before we had the persistence option.

Back when AntiX was version 8.
Features

Perform actions with partitions such as:
create or delete
resize or move
check
label
set new UUID
copy and paste

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://gparted.org/"
linktext was:"http://gparted.org/"
====================================

Be sure and unmount the usb drive. Right click reveals all options from unmount to check.
thriftee
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'm ok. Quite scary though.
thriftee
I would like to put up a system warning message if my rootfs or homefs are running low on space so that I resolve it before I crash, and there is no"next time" for this.

How can I test for them being close to out of space?
rokytnji
Might help. Might not.

url was:"http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/shell-script-to-watch-the-disk-space.html"
linktext was:"http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/shell-scr ... space.html"

url was:"http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/mac-osx-unix-get-an-alert-when-my-disk-is-full/"
linktext was:"http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/mac-osx-un ... k-is-full/"

url was:"http://postmyimage.com/img2/871_screenshot.jpg"
linktext was:"I just use my conky and eyes and brain instead of bells, yodelling, and whistles."

PS.

Code: Select all

df -h
is your friend in terminal

Code: Select all

harry@biker:~
$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           803M  644K  802M   1% /run
/dev/sda2       7.6G  3.8G  3.5G  53% /
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           1.6G  4.0K  1.6G   1% /run/shm
/dev/sda1        48G   24G   22G  52% /home
skidoo
thriftee, maybe you posted more details in some other thread so expect readers to know what boot parameters you're running with? There's not enough info in this thread to enable an accurate diagnosis/fix.

what form of persistence? (dynamic rootfs? static homefs only?)
? what is the storage capacity of your boot device ( partition)
? how much RAM on your system
? are you using the toram boot parameter

Although you say (in another topic) you've only"installed 10Mb new programs", have you performed updates? If so, the contents of those updated packages are bloating the persistence file(s). Depending on your available storage space, available RAM, and whether or not you've booted"toram" (which additionally loads the linuxfs content into RAM)... yeah, updates alone (without installing"other/new" packages) may have resulted in your"out of space" scenario.
thriftee
skidoo wrote:thriftee, maybe you posted more details in some other thread so expect readers to know what boot parameters you're running with? There's not enough info in this thread to enable an accurate diagnosis/fix.

what form of persistence? (dynamic rootfs? static homefs only?)
? what is the storage capacity of your boot device ( partition)
? how much RAM on your system
? are you using the toram boot parameter

Although you say (in another topic) you've only"installed 10Mb new programs", have you performed updates? If so, the contents of those updated packages are bloating the persistence file(s). Depending on your available storage space, available RAM, and whether or not you've booted"toram" (which additionally loads the linuxfs content into RAM)... yeah, updates alone (without installing"other/new" packages) may have resulted in your"out of space" scenario.
My apologies for not being complete. My assumption was that I caused the problem by running it out of space to the point where it couldn't save even the toolbar file to the"drive". When I wrote the initial post I thought I was completely hosed because I'd never used fluxbox before, so everything was foreign looking, and I thought I was going to lose everything I'd done and need to start over. I can see now that I'm at least in decent shape, and didn't really lose anything but some time.

To answer you questions:
On the boot, I selected persist-All and Icewm-Spacefm, everything at defaults. Now I just press enter and it comes up that way. I think I should mark it solved because I got everything back, as luckily I knew where to look and it had renamed the configuration files it replaced suffixed with a ~, so it wasn't too hard to get it back to normal.

I have 3 different machines I'm testing this with, but the one its been on the past couple weeks is a Dell D620 Laptop with 2 gb memory, and antix16 full 386 on a 4 gb partition of a fast USB flashdrive. I should try to put my setups in my profile...

I might have run updates, but its not in the synaptic history if I did. Is there an easy way to tell, if you happen to know?

I checked what I had installed in the history and it was under 20 mb. I had neglected to remove some of the automatically installed dependent libraries for the packages I'd installed then completely removed.

Thanks for taking the time to look at these threads and answer each, especially the one where you said how you run the persistance save manually.
skidoo
I might have run updates, but its not in the synaptic history if I did. Is there an easy way to tell, if you happen to know?
Oops, I did type (and bold)"updates" when I meant"upgrade". (apt update command just retrieves a manifest of available packages.)

Easy way to tell? Hmm, I would check the following (in the order listed):
sudo leafpad /root/.bash_history
sudo tail -40 /var/log/dpkg.log
( or sudo leafpad /var/log/dpkg.log )
sudo spacefm /root/.synaptic/log
thriftee
I don't think I did updates. The newest programs are from 6/26/16.

I will use the info you gave me on the other thread to improve my conky and provide warnings, and next time I redo things I will increase the antix partition to 6gb so there is more space to work with.

Thanks for all the help.
Shay
Why I use 8 GB USB sticks as a minimum size. HDD, 10 GB minimum.
SSD the whole 60 or 120 GB.
I just swap drives. Easy to do.
thriftee
Yes, the flashdrive is 16gb, but that's leaving me space for a 2nd partition of all my data, because I'm setting this up so I can just put it into any of my machines and boot up. That will mean when I'm travelling, I'll only need to carry 1 laptop, and if a machine breaks, its no bi deal to put the flashdrive into another. I suppose I could use 32gb flashdrives instead.
Shay
8 and 8 should do the trick. But if you are like me, you will be backing up your data.
thriftee
Yes, I used gparted and copied the partitions to a 32gb flashdrive, providing a backup, a bigger partition, and a spare to test my persist-check script on. Thanks for the suggestions.
thriftee
Sad to say but I ran out of space again on the 32gb drive.

I haven't been able to get the conky to check for available space, so I didn't have any warning again.

I couldn't tell what was out of space.

I though I had clues if the scrollback buffer on Roxterm, so I tried to scroll back in the Roxterm screen to look for it, but the scrollbars there don't work normally, so then I tried to change the keyboard shortcuts to map keys for scrolling a page forward or back, and ended up burying the system at 100% CPU on both CPU's where is appeared to be trying to run a program called emacs from a roxterm web address 4 times at the same time, and htop's kill couldn't kill them, I think that's a Roxterm configuration issue, unrelated to the drive space problem it was causing the CPU's to overheat.

Anyway, with all that I was getting the shutdown warnings for both CPU temps and out of disk space, so I gave up and saved root persistance, and shutdown and rebooted, and lo and behold it booted up on Fluxbox again.

Oh my, Deja Vu! LOL.

So now I've changed the desktop back to Spacefm-Icewm again, and got my conky back. I'm not sure if anything else got changed.

I have to think it through. Not sure what to do. Maybe its time to give up on the idea of running from a live USB if I can't even tell when I'm running low on space.
Shay
Look at /DISK listing in Conky.
Mine shows 6.8G/106G
used: 6.8G out of 106G