boombaby
Hello, Any...

I need your helpful advice.

Today I installed Antix on my system, and it comes up with the basic 800x600 display. The result is pretty typical of many distros I have tried out (that actually install). I need your help with the way the system comes up. Here's why...

My system is a bit"different" because I have a modern monitor (LG L196WTQ) but an old AGP graphics card (SiS-6326). What a lot of distros do is detect my system as"a laptop". (I guess that's because of the LCD monitor.)

So, here's what has happened with Antix...

1. It does not detect my monitor.

2. It does not recognize my graphics card. (I think it tries to use an Nvidia module. I think that's the one. I'm not in Antix to find out.)

3. Ultimately it uses a framebuffer (I think) to present the display.

4. It sets up a synaptics touchpad. [Mouse is PS/2 MS optical Wheelmouse.]

5. There is no xorg.conf - but an xorg.conf.in [In there the setup seems to NOT be according to actual hardware. If I try to X -configure I end up with no X/display at all.]

6. Post-install, Synaptic Pkg Mgr shows"xf86-video-sis-antix" exists on the system. Does that support the OLD SiS-6326 card (or a newer version cards only)?

[I am not big on CLI, so searching and sifting is a bit hard for me.]

To me the failure to initially detect the monitor is probably a main source of the problems, but that may also have some connection with the graphics card detection-and-setup.

N.B.
Despite trying hundreds of distros and versions Mageia-5 was one of the very few I can get to install and run. (Others are Mandriva, OpenMandriva, Rosa. You get the picture there?) I add that when I first set up Mageia-5 it found my SiS-6326 graphics card, and found my Make of monitor - but there is a story with it. [Actually my exact Model monitor does not exist in their Module selection list, so the right monitor has probably been detected via the EDID properly (but without a corresponding exact module/driver to work with). So I select a different module (ie L-204WTQ) which gives me a perfect result (and a large selection of resolutions to work with). I settled on the monitor's preferred resolution option (ie 1440x900) which the card also supports.]

If the result now is that it is not possible for the SiS support within Antix then just say so. At the moment I am staying with the graphics card, so changing it is not an option.

It seems obvious to me that the SiS module/driver AND the monitor detection (from the EDID?) is/are the key to this problem in Antix. Can you clarify, and help?

Regards,
aka boombaby
Last edited by boombaby on 10 May 2016, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
SamK
boombaby wrote:Can you clarify, and help?
You have not mentioned which antiX release and version you are using. That will make it difficult for anyone to respond with advice.

Boot the system using the live installation media
Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

inxi -Frxz
Reboot and repeat using the installed antiX

Post the output of both reports in this topic in the forum.
Hopefully they will give someone an insight about what might be happening.
boombaby
Hello, SamK...

Thanks for responding. Sorry to take so long to get back to you. (Unavoidable problems - 1 here, 1 there.)

Here are the two reports you requested...
>>> LIVEDISK ANTIX

# inxi -Frxz
System:
Host: antiX1 Kernel: 4.0.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.2)
Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
Distro: antiX-15-V_386-full Killah P 30 June 2015
Machine:
System: VIA product: VT8363
Mobo: N/A model: 8363A-686B Bios: Award v: 6.00 PG date: 02/05/2002
CPU:
Single core AMD Athlon (-UP-) cache: 256 KB
flags: (pae) bmips: 2000 speed: 1000 MHz (max)
Graphics:
Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 86C326 5598/6326
bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.org 1.16.4 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: vesa)
tty size: 80x28 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:
Card VIA VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller
driver: snd_via82xx ports: ac00 b000 b400 bus-ID: 00:07.5
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.0.5-antix.1-486-smp
Network:
Card: 3Com 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
driver: 3c59x port: b800 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:
HDD Total Size: 100.0GB (1.6% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST320410A size: 20.0GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD800JB size: 80.0GB
Partition:
ID-1: swap-1 size: 1.69GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb6
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 62.1C mobo: 31.1C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 7031 fan-2: 0
Repos:
Active apt sources in file: / etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
deb
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://antix.daveserver.info/jessie"
linktext was:"http://antix.daveserver.info/jessie"
====================================
jessie main nosystemd
Active apt sources in file: / etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
deb
url was:"http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/"
linktext was:"http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/"
jessie main contrib non-free
deb
url was:"http://security.debian.org/"
linktext was:"http://security.debian.org/"
jessie/updates main contrib non-free
Info:
Processes: 206 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 66.8/751.6MB
Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.2.25

>>> INSTALLED ANTIX

$ inxi -Frxz

System:
Host: funnyname Kernel: 4.0.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.2)
Desktop: Xfce 4.10.2 (Gtk 2.24.18)
Distro: antiX-15-V_386-full Killah P 30 June 2015
Machine:
System: VIA product: VT8363
Mobo: N/A model: 8363A-686B Bios: Award v: 6.00 PG date: 02/05/2002
CPU:
Single core AMD Athlon (-UP-) cache: 256 KB
flags: (pae) bmips: 2000 speed: 1000 MHz (max)
Graphics:
Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 86C326 5598/6326
bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: vesa)
Resolution: 800x600@75.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:
Card VIA VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller
driver: snd_via82xx ports: ac00 b000 b400 bus-ID: 00:07.5
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.0.5-antix.1-486-smp
Network:
Card: 3Com 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
driver: 3c59x port: b800 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:
HDD Total Size: 100.0GB (4.4% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST320410A size: 20.0GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD800JB size: 80.0GB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 8.2G used: 2.7G (34%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sdb8
ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.69GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb6
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 63.1C mobo: 31.7C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 7031 fan-2: 0
Repos:
Active apt sources in file: / etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
deb
url was:"http://antix.daveserver.info/jessie"
linktext was:"http://antix.daveserver.info/jessie"
jessie main nosystemd
Active apt sources in file: / etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
deb
url was:"http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian/"
linktext was:"http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian/"
jessie main contrib non-free
deb
url was:"http://security.debian.org/"
linktext was:"http://security.debian.org/"
jessie/updates main contrib non-free
Info:
Processes: 100 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 98.5/751.6MB
Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.2.25
notfunny@funnyname:~
Sorry about the formatting. (Don't know how to preserve what I had, using the posting editor. I just broke the list up at the headers. Best I could do at a pinch.)

Regards,
aka boombaby
SamK
boombaby wrote:Post-install, Synaptic Pkg Mgr shows"xf86-video-sis-antix" exists on the system.
That name indicates it is an antiX package rather than one from Debian. It was provided from outside of Debian because the Jessie repo does not contain SiS drivers.

antiX tries to carry over settings from live to installed. In live mode your report shows the system is aware of your SIS card. It goes on to boot using the X.org frambuffer driver at a low resolution. Vesa is shown as unloaded.

Have you tried the alternative video modes available in the live boot screen (F1-->Menu Main Entries)? You might be able to force the vesa video driver to load. While this will not fix your SiS problem, it might offer a higher screen resolution and a more comfortable display in which to troubleshoot.

On various testbed systems here that use SiS (with internal and external monitors), I cannot recreate the symptoms you describe. In both live and installed environments the SiS driver is used. This seems to confirm your suspicion that your choice of monitor is implicated as the most likey source of the problem. Probably the easiest (possibly only) way to be 100% certain of that, will be to temporarily susbstitue your current monitor with another, less modern, one that is more in keeping with the age and capabilities of your kit.

The following is offered on the basis that I have no idea whether it is relevant or appropriate to your reported problem. If you decide to investigate it further you should do so only after deciding for yourself whether it represents any danger to your particular kit.

We are currently testing and bug hunting the forthcoming release of antiX-16. A problem with SiS was reported and a fix tested as detailed in these posts.
post46310.html#p46310
post46312.html#p46312
post46313.html#p46313

The fix produced the following /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code: Select all

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# xorg.conf file
#
# Generated by make-xorg-conf sometime around Tue Apr 19 16:02:00 BST 2016
#
# If you want to save customizations, delete the line above or this
# file will get automatically deleted on the next live boot.
#----------------------------------------------------------------------

Section"Monitor"
    Identifier"Monitor0"
    Option"DPMS""true"
EndSection

Section"Device"
    Identifier"Device0"
    Driver    "sisimedia"
EndSection

Section"Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Device         "Device0"
    DefaultDepth    16
    SubSection"Display"
        Modes"1280x1024""1333x768""1024x768""800x600"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
boombaby
Hello, SamK...

Thanks for that response.

I ask a few questions here before going on to try-out anything...

I think you are saying that it is my monitor that is NOT supported in Antix. Is that about right? A precise answer there would be good.

It would be good to know how an easy"detection" of monitors (specifically like mine) can be set up in Antix. See; I think if my monitor (ie anyone's monitor) is"detected" (from the EDID???) it MIGHT just go on to fix the graphics problem too. Here's why, and I know I stated it before (a little differently), but it might NOT have been picked up...

During the install of Mageia-5 (a very modern distro) on this same hardware it gave me minor display problems right at the start ("now" I do NOT remember exactly what, but it was minor). What I did to resolve it completely was to use 3 different GUI-based tools:
(a.) the installer allowed me to choose the same-Make/different-Model monitor to work with;
(b.) post install one of the GUI-based graphics"fixers" (probably randr-based) allowed me to set the V-Hz [others did not];
(c.) a second GUI-based graphics"fixer" (probably also randr-based) allowed me to configure the 15-bpp display (and this was important to get it right).

[I vaguely remember downloading at least one of those"fixer" packages, but I cannot be sure.]

Anyway, the result now is perfect resolution, including many, many other res choices too.

I know, from either that install or other attempts with other distros, that the"preferred resolution" of the monitor is 1440x900, so I have set the Mageia resolution to that. [Since I got it working, I dare not change the config any which way. It works!]

I add here that in some distros that I have tried out, the VESA module is a huge problem. My system has often crashed trying to install or use it. (That can be easily seen when using Puppy Linux ie Precise or TahrPup-6. If I try to alter the display by selecting a VESA-based module - brrrrp, crash! I do not know why.)

At system boot the first screen says it is VESA-2 capable. The SiS card specs say it supports VESA-2.

I further add that DRI (DRI-2?) also seems to be a problem. I cannot use that (at least with my limited knowledge that's what seems to occur).

Given that I am essentially a"Newbie" (I know how to CLI, and track around the system, but I do NOT know"how" it all knits together properly) does your post indicate that I can"insert"/"replace" the xorg.conf block you provided INTO my setup (albeit that modes might need to be tweaked a little differently)?

Note again, I said before that Antix did NOT create an" xorg.conf" file (ie under / etc/X11 ). It created an" xorg.conf.in" file.

If you are saying I can use your xorg.conf fragment then can I use Mageia's xorg.conf in any way (or is that irrelevant)?

HERE'S WHERE I MIGHT REALLY DISPLAY MY"NEWBIENESS"...

You'll notice in the"installed" report I posted that the CPU section shows a flag"pae". My understanding is that being a single-core processor it cannot be"pae". That's why I (now) use a kernel line arg of"nosmp". [I hope that makes as much sense to you as it does in my brain - otherwise my"newbie" is hanging out (quite a bit)!] I discuss point 5. because it might or might not be important in the setup. I don't know.

If you can advise me about those points it will be handy before I procede.

Regards,
SamK
@boombaby

I invite you to read again my previous post. I made no assertion about the support of your monitor in antiX. Based on your request for"helpful advice" I tested antiX 15 on systems tha use SiS and established that they worked as expected.

In your opening post, you describe your system as"different" due to the"modern monitor" being partnered with an"old AGP graphics card". Because of the difference in age, at some point in the past the SiS card has worked with another monitor. Additionally, the card continues to work with another distro.

The conclusion to be drawn is that it is the introduction to the system of your"modern monitor" that is at the base of the symptoms you describe.

I mentioned a means of absolutely confirming that, by temporarily substituting your monitor with one better suited to the capabilities of your system. Once you have established what is the root cause of the problem you can then progress forward. If your monitor is the source, you might:
  • Ask the manufacturer if they have drivers/modules for Linux
  • Ask the devs at Mageia for a technical description of how they support or partially support your monitor, and then take that technical information to another distro such as antiX asking the devs whether they might do something similar
  • If you establish an additional kernel module/driver is needed you might use an alternative kernel with antiX or request it be included in an antiX
  • Use a different monitor
The xorg.conf file in the previous post was provided with a heavy caveat. How you choose to use the information (if at all) is entirely up to you. You are responsible for the decisions you make about your own kit. The adding of SiS in the antiX-15 live installer is not my work. You might like to wait and see if that member chips in, but be aware that the last he time visited the antiX forum was Mon Dec 07, 2015.

Using very newly manufactured hardware can sometimes be a problem in Linux, particulary if it requires some form of software support. Some manufacturers might not consider Linux for their products. In that case it takes the OSS world a while to develop and test the open source support. Once it is available it is then a separate question of how long it takes (or if) a distro includes it.
boombaby
Thanks, SamK...

You've been pretty helpful. Much appreciated.

I'll go away, see what I can come up with, and give some feedback here later.

Kind Regards,
aka boombaby
boombaby
Members, an answer please...

As you might have read in my posts, I had an old PC (with an olde SiS AGP graphics card) with a modern LG LCD monitor - and have had a lot of trouble with Linux distros because of that. If I could actually load a distro, it would only show a basic display. [Mageia-5 was a brilliant exception.]

Now something has happened.

In the last few days I managed to get two other multi-installed distros (Korora and Antix - both with only a basic display resolution) to recognize the 4 built-in video modes. Xrandr showed I was running at 1280x1024 resolution. However the new problem (on each) was that the full desktop was HUGE, and I was only able to see on-screen (and access) the top left quadrant - on both distros.

Yesterday - after lots of questions here and there, and considerable effort at the console - I managed to get a useful xorg.conf file set up which gave me very good resolutions, although there still seemed to be some issues remaining. [Just as explanation: I found one game that still ran at the massive desktop scale. Some window titles exhibited larger fonts. And so on.] I was intending to work further on that problem. However, today the monitor wouldn't power up. It's dead! Very odd. I just get a solution to the resolutions then there's dissolution of the resolution. Is that strange - or just a coincidence?

Anyway, I replaced the old monitor with an Acer LCD and booted up Mageia-5. It came up straight away - even hi-res. No problems. [Methinks Mageia-5 amazing!]

So I try to boot into Antix. Blank. Well not totally blank - a message-box from the monitor floats around the screen: "Input not supported".

So I try to boot into Korora. Blank. Well not totally blank - a message-box from the monitor floats around the screen: "Input not supported".

I removed the xorg.conf's. Same deal.

O-OH! I worry that (somehow) my Mageia-5 setup may now be compromised. I re-boot Mageia-5. Nup! Works great!

So, what is going on? Why can I simply change a monitor and boot Mageia-5, but Antix and Korora just won't display?

[If you are going to respond, understand this is not a"flame" thing. I want to know what linux procedure is typically used to install a replacement, alternate monitor into an existing distro system (eg. Antix, Korora, etc.). CLI?".img"? Something else?]

Regards,
aka boombaby
Shay
This is just me, but I would add a AGP card and disable the on board video.
dolphin_oracle
can you boot live and get any display at all?
boombaby
Shay

Think"old" - ie no on-board video. Currently using the AGP card.

dolphin_oracle

Yes; RE-PLACED monitor. Live-boot to 800x600. ??

Anyone have a procedure for exchanging a monitor (or other required device) to an alternate one? If plug-n-play is supposed to work, this time it didn't (except in Mageia-5). Remember, if I was on a single-distro and re-attaching another monitor there would be no screen to work with. So what would I do then to get a different monitor installed, and the distro back again?

Since I tried re-jigging vesa on Antix-15 I'll expand the experience a little bit here...

For a long time now (think"months","years") I have not been able to find the driver (with distro support) for the SiS-6326 card [EXCEPT Mageia-5]. So I, as a Pnewbie (Post-Newbie; silent"n"; copyright waived), finally reverted to my first attempt at configuring the xorg.conf file - and I used the vesa driver for that. [Tip: Whenever I've tried VESA in distros I have ALWAYS had trouble. For instance, in TahrPup-6 (ie Puppy Linux 6"Tahr") - which has a brilliant video setup mechanism (GUI & CLI) - whenever I chose VESA as the driver for the SiS card the display crashed - ALWAYS! Thus, I had been reluctant to even mention the word VESA.] After"advice" from Fedora Forum (ie for Korora) I finally reverted to setting that up myself - ie customize vesa myself. [N.B. I am still happy with that"advice".]

By following the"manual" I was clear in my head that I set things up right, and I got"hi-res" working on Antix, then Korora. In fact, the Xorg.0.log showed both my video card specs AND monitor EDID were read.

< There is a proviso here because something odd happened later. In GUI I changed the res to 800x600 and got (almost) the whole desktop back in view as hi-res, yet xrandr still showed the 4 built-in modes - with main display set on 1280x1024. [Now that is unusual to ME, but maybe not to YOU (the"advanced" Reader) because you know something I don't. However it seemed odd (ie TO ME).] >

Then, next morn, dead monitor - no start. Hmmm. Strange. Of course, the supplementary question is:-"Is THAT an amazing coincidence (and my lack-of-faith-in-vesa unjustified), or can"vesa" (somehow) kill a modern monitor)?" [There is no finger-pointing here - I just want to know if it is safe to attempt that again, or not?)]

P.S.
Should I be concerned, given this Antix-15 distro is code-named"Killah"? __{{emoticon}}__

Regards,
aka boombaby
dolphin_oracle
so does the new monitor plug in the same way as the old monitor. what style connection (vga, dvi, etc...)

I would think that deleting the xorg.conf on the system would get you to the same state that the live system uses to boot, more or less.

I've never heard of a video card killing a monitor, with the possible exception of selecting refresh rates that your monitor doesn't support.

When you set the resolution in the arandr gui (the Set resolution in control center), did you generate a startup script and put that in your startup file?

When you boot with the new monitor, do you ever have anything on the display (ie, do you see boot text, bios information, etc...)
boombaby
Hello, All...

GOOD NEWS! NO; GREAT NEWS!!!

Firstly, the Antix-15 system booted but would not come to a display (ie with/without an xorg.conf). After being questioned by dolphin_oracle he/she made me think past my nose and I discovered that I could get to a booted system with [CTRL-ALT-F1/F2]. (Derrr!) So without any ado I then tried re-booting with the vga=787 kernel-line arg included. As before, that got me back to a basic 800x600 display.

Then, while searching for a solution, I discovered that Antix has a"sisimedia" driver in the Modules directory. (Maybe I put it there before, and never used it. Who knows!) Then I also"accidentally" discovered that it works for the SiS-6326 graphics card!

(When I say"works" I mean that it works"so far".)

Even better; it gives me resolution right up to 1600x1200, or 1680x1050. That resolution is so fine and small that I can hardly read it. I've had to go down a few notches - and the result is still nice too.

So, methinks that's a great resolution to the resolution!

However it raises one GLARING question:"Why did a Pnewbie (ie Post-Newbie; silent"n"; copyright waived) have to discover THAT by too-much, wasted work-time - and chance?

Here's a tip (and another question):-

Tip:
Several months ago I managed (with some risk and difficulty) to install an old PCLinuxOS 32-bit which included a properly-functioning driver for my SiS-6326 card. The system was extremely nice in"feel" and, therefore, lovely to use. However they were phasing out their 32-bit O/S (apparently) for 64 bits; and so they were/are not updating their system to cope for the SiS driver. For instance, at that time I could NOT install LibreOffice (using their package system) because the package manager would not allow it with the existing"olde" driver (and there was no update for it). For me, that was a problem doing work. Trying to manage that (in a workaround) made my install unusable.

Q:
Are you (Antix) going to maintain a workable 32-bit system (which handles this driver)?

>>> For any other Newbies or Pnewbies [ie Post-Newbies; silent"n"; copyright waived] here's all it takes.

In the xorg.conf file, include...
  • Module"sisimedia"
in the Modules section, and...
  • Driver"sisimedia"

in the graphics card Devices section.

(I make assumption that it is needed in the Modules section only after reviewing my xorg.conf file just now. I haven't tried it"without".)

Anyway, so far, so good! Looks neat!

[P.S. Mageia-5 hasn't missed a beat, even when (and since) the old monitor went bye-byes.]

Regards,
aka boombaby
SamK
boombaby wrote:GOOD NEWS! NO; GREAT NEWS!!!
It is good to know you managed to get it going.
boombaby wrote:However it raises one GLARING question:"Why did a Pnewbie (ie Post-Newbie; silent"n"; copyright waived) have to discover THAT by too-much, wasted work-time - and chance?
Have a look back to this post earlier in the thread
post46330.html?hilit=sisimedia#p46330
In it I mentioned antiX-15 worked with the SiS driver (which is actually the sisimedia driver). Further down the post I also included an example of an xorg.conf that antiX uses, which also indicates the use of the sismedia driver.

So the answer to your question is, you did not need to spend lots of time to discover it, and it was not by chance that I posted it.
boombaby
Hello, SamK! I'll not yield yet. Here are a couple of important reasons why.

In my subsequent post to you [ie AFTER your"xorg.conf" advice and"driver" advice (as I now know)] I explained that I was, essentially, a Newbie. I told you (with some confusion) that there was some ODD"xorg.conf.in" file - and NO xorg.conf file. (So I was confused.) You further added to that confusion by...

...You will notice in your subsequent post to me, you stated that you were giving me the previous guidance (ie about the driver and the xorg.conf construction) 'WITH A HEAVY CAVEAT'. Well cripes; what does that mean? You went on to imply that I might encounter some kind of hardware issue if I did that.

Now, SamK, here's a thing you don't know about. Within the next day or so MY MONITOR DID COLLAPSE. DEAD! CAPUT! I HAD TO REPLACE IT.

I WAS ALREADY APREHENSIVE, given your warning. I had to mull over what to do. I said that in my post. Would I blow my monitor up if I did something wrong? Or not?

Here's what happened next...

I remember after that last warning post I immediately went and loaded Korora-23. (I'm pretty sure it was then - and it took many hours.) Since it did finally load and gave me the same screen as Antix (ie basic 800x600) I was pretty pleased. (Yet another working distro!) Fedora Forum offered their advice/guidance about an OLD SiS driver - and also advice about trying use the VESA driver. After their driver failed to load, I returned to Antix to tackle it with the VESA driver setup.

(Unfortunately I did not re-read your post and your good advice. My error.)

However (after considerable effort as a NEWBIE) I managed to get a very good resolution using the vesa driver only, with built-in modes (or something better, I think). --> A NEWBIE!

I then immediately tried the same setup on Korora - and it worked too. [Newbie - nay, Pnewbie (ie Post-Newbie, silent"n"; copyright waived) - was, indeed, well satisfied with himself.] It was then early morn, so I went to bed. Next day Monitor was dead. (Damn that Antix"Killah", I thought! It really does, I thought!)

So, when I look back now at EXACTLY WHY I did not follow through with your advice those are additional reasons. I was warned; I was confused; I misread meanings; I became - otherwise - occupied with side-issues. [NEWBIE!!]

FYI. Below is some indication of times. (I think there are other posts somewhere too.)

Anyway it is now 4:58am here, and I've not gone to bed. So I'll stick the links in for your perusal and retire now.

[As far as your advice went, it was good (actually great) in places - and not so good (in others). In my opinion you could have directed me - a Newbie, not quite a Pnewbie [ie Post-Newbie, silent"n"; copyright waived] EVEN MORE towards the driver and the xorg.conf. [I'll repeat: at the time -"NEWBIE". (I'm pretty sure that was my FIRST attempt at working with an xorg.conf file - and even then in Antix (as I said in my post to you) it was showing as"xorg.conf.in" ?? What's that?).

Here are the posts for you to see the timeline...

(a.)
ANTIX
Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:42 am
install-probs-old-sis-graphics-card-and-modern-lcd-monitor-t6339.html

(b.)
Installed Korora somewhere in here, and tried to configure it. Sought Fedora Forum advice.

(c.)
30th April 2016, 09:43 PM
boombaby Online
Display problems - a"big picture" stemming from SiS video card

url was:"http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=309818"
linktext was:"http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=309818"

(c.)
#1 Report Post
30th April 2016, 09:43 PM

url was:"http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/banging-in-an-alternate-replacement-monitor-can-do-or-can%27t-do-4175579001/"
linktext was:"http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175579001/"

(d.)
4/5/2016
12:36pm
monitor fail

url was:"http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/banging-in-an-alternate-replacement-monitor-can-do-or-can%27t-do-4175579001/"
linktext was:"http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175579001/"

(e.)
I think somewhere here (ie afterwards) as I was looking at modules in the Module directory and Drivers subdirectory (pretty new areas to me) I then found the sisimedia driver"by accident" - and then everything fell into place. Well, not quite. There is still this discussion.

So, now - once more - thanks, SamK, you did good (in places). __{{emoticon}}__

Antix looks good.

Good night.

Kind Regards,
aka boombaby