greyowl
I am trying to install Master PDF Editor.

I received the following instructions from the Master PDF people:
Please, download this Master PDF Editor package and install it from console.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://get.code-industry.net/public/master-pdf-editor-4.2.70_qt5.amd64.tar.gz"
linktext was:"http://get.code-industry.net/public/mas ... d64.tar.gz"
====================================

To install, unpack it to /opt/ and set the masterpdfeditor4 to runnable as well. This way it will automatically find Qt packages.

I am new to Linux and don't know how to do this.
Could someone walk me through the steps?
Thanks
Last edited by greyowl on 13 Aug 2017, 23:36, edited 2 times in total.
rokytnji
Use spacefm as root to extract your tar.gz in /opt. You can copy and paste your tar.gz from whever it sits to /opt using spacefm as root user. Right click in spacefm will show the option to do this.

Code: Select all

sudo spacefm 
Should handle this. I usually use su myself. But I am more experienced running stuff out /opt than you are I think. Launcher should be something like /opt/whatever folder name is goes here/launcher.

I usually change user permissions in /opt on a application I want to run out of a root folder like /opt.

These are just general instructions without going into specifics . Hopefully someone else will give better details when you supply more info on what ya got.
greyowl
Thank you it worked.
I was able to extract the tarball to /opt/. Then I right clicked on Master PDF Editor and chose Execute and the program opened.

I followed your instructions for the launcher, but I couldn't get it to open the program. I put the following in the terminal: /opt/masterpdfeditor4/launcher. Am I doing something wrong?

Now, I just need to put the program on my applications menu.
How do I do this?
fatmac
You should find a menu editor in the 'Control Panel', but you'll need to know how to start your program manually, I think. Look inside your /opt/masterpdfeditor4 directory to see what the 'launcher' name is.

If you can't figure that out, post the list of files in that directory here, & we'll have a guess at which it is. __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
Might be a permission issue also.

Launching anything out of /opt needs /etc/sudoers editing or chown editing done on a application folder extracted in /opt sometimes.

I was thinking after I posted that you would get maybe lib dependency errors. I was banking on everything being included in the extracted tar.bz folder to run the application as far as dependencies went. QT applications are usually KDE dependent. KDE Desktop that is.

Edit:

I put the following in the terminal: /opt/masterpdfeditor4/launcher. Am I doing something wrong?
I wrote launcher as a generic name for what the launcher name is in that folder.
Surely. What launches the gui is not named launcher. Is it?

I also forgot to mention there are hotkeys for opening root terminal and other applications. Look through > antix control panel center> desktop > edit icewm > then look for keys file to read what they are.
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post40114.html#p40114"
linktext was:"I place mine in my conky for quick reference."
greyowl
fatmac wrote:You should find a menu editor in the 'Control Panel', but you'll need to know how to start your program manually, I think. Look inside your /opt/masterpdfeditor4 directory to see what the 'launcher' name is.

If you can't figure that out, post the list of files in that directory here, & we'll have a guess at which it is. __{{emoticon}}__
The launcher name is> masterpdfeditor4.
If I right click on it and choose Execute, the program will open.
I put a link to the launcher on my desktop. If I left click it, the program will open.
I check Control Center>desktop>edit menus, but the program is not listed.

I would like to put the program in the Applications Menu. How would I do this?
greyowl
rokytnji wrote:
Edit:

I put the following in the terminal: /opt/masterpdfeditor4/launcher. Am I doing something wrong?
I wrote launcher as a generic name for what the launcher name is in that folder.
Surely. What launches the gui is not named launcher. Is it?

I also forgot to mention there are hotkeys for opening root terminal and other applications. Look through > antix control panel center> desktop > edit icewm > then look for keys file to read what they are.
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post40114.html#p40114"
linktext was:"I place mine in my conky for quick reference."
Now, I understand.
I am able to open the program with the terminal.
I was able to find the keys. Thanks
reverseDog
greyowl wrote: I would like to put the program in the Applications Menu. How would I do this?
I don't know if this is the orthodox way, but I managed to get the Master PDF Editor into my applications menu as follows:

In the directory /opt/master-pdf-editor-4 you should find the file masterpdfeditor4.desktop. Copy it into the directory ~/.local/share/applications ("~" stands for your home directory; the leading dot in".local" means that it's a hidden directory) – either with the help of SpaceFM or Rox Filer or by running the following command in the terminal:

cp /opt/master-pdf-editor-4/masterpdfeditor4.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
Finally update the menu by clicking on its item"Update Menu". That done you should find the Master PDF Editor 4 under Applications -> Office as well as under Applications-> Graphics.
rokytnji
It is the correct way reverse dog.
greyowl
I completed the instructions.
The program is not showing in the Applications.
I checked Control Center>desktop>Edit menus and Master PDF is in the list of applications so I selected it to"show".
However, this did not work.
greyowl
Still no luck in getting Master PDF Editor into the applications menu.
Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
rokytnji
Put in personal menu section then.
greyowl
rokytnji wrote:Put in personal menu section then.
I tried this as well, but it did not work.
reverseDog
I wonder if you maybe unpacked Master PDF Editor into a wrong subdirectory of /opt, in which case the path wouldn't correspond with the Exec command in the .desktop file. The correct subdirectory for MPE should be /opt/master-pdf-editor-4, whereas above you mentioned /opt/masterpdfeditor4 (without dashes).
fatmac
One other thing that comes to mind, especially if it's a script - check that it has its execution bit set.