topic title: siduxing antiX
masinick
I am, by the way, converting SimplyMEPIS from an Etch based distro to a Lenny based distro. That is part of what is causing conflicts because many MEPIS packages are tailored specifically to run very solidly with MEPIS and Etch repositories.
dieselbenz
masinick wrote:I am, by the way, converting SimplyMEPIS from an Etch based distro to a Lenny based distro. That is part of what is causing conflicts because many MEPIS packages are tailored specifically to run very solidly with MEPIS and Etch repositories.
Anti (or someone) needs to build us a no-holds-barred, no-condoms-allowed distro that takes advantage of all of this cutting edge stuff.

The disclaimer would be: You ARE going to break your system for a day or two.
eriefisher
It's a simple add on. Download and install the script and your off to the races without a helmet.
masinick
I disabled the SimplyMEPIS repository and that has enabled me to"go to the races". Got a lot of it done already.
masinick
dieselbenz wrote:
masinick wrote:I am, by the way, converting SimplyMEPIS from an Etch based distro to a Lenny based distro. That is part of what is causing conflicts because many MEPIS packages are tailored specifically to run very solidly with MEPIS and Etch repositories.
Anti (or someone) needs to build us a no-holds-barred, no-condoms-allowed distro that takes advantage of all of this cutting edge stuff.

The disclaimer would be: You ARE going to break your system for a day or two.
AntiX with the Sid repositories turned on and sidux repositories added is practically sidux, but you have all of the lightweight stuff that anti put into antiX. If you constrain yourself and do not install all of the sidux stuff you still have a light system. If you do put in the sidux stuff you still have a fast system, just one that is bigger. As long as you keep the lightweight login manager and other core things, the antiX-sidux combo is an absolute killer. The combo of antiX-sidux in the full implementation seems to be the best of both, with the only consequence being a larger system.

I personally think we have what you are talking about now, albeit it has not yet been mastered in an ISO image.
eriefisher
I think 7.5-testing has the smxi script but it will be up to you to push it the rest of the way.
dieselbenz
eriefisher wrote:I think 7.5-testing has the smxi script but it will be up to you to push it the rest of the way.
Not to throw a damp towel onto the party, but I tried to load antiX onto three different spare desktops last night in the garage / motorcycle shop (my computer room) and each choked @ video / X on Mepis 7.0 & antiX 7.2 / 7.5.

Each loaded PCLOS just fine.

What is it about Mepis that is doing this?

I'd blame Warren were it not for the fact that I understand the blame belongs to Debian.
masinick
dieselbenz wrote:
eriefisher wrote:I think 7.5-testing has the smxi script but it will be up to you to push it the rest of the way.
Not to throw a damp towel onto the party, but I tried to load antiX onto three different spare desktops last night in the garage / motorcycle shop (my computer room) and each choked @ video / X on Mepis 7.0 & antiX 7.2 / 7.5.

I'd blame Warren were it not for the fact that I understand the blame belongs to Debian.
If they installed on PCLOS then they could be made to install with MEPIS and antiX as well. Chances are that some combination of options were hanging the installation. Sometimes adding noacpi is enough to get it to work. Other times a variety of"no this and no that" will do the trick. A"failsafe" mode of installation nearly always works, but then there may be things to configure later. With the MEPIS control center, setting stuff up is a breeze.

PCLOS, benefiting from the fine work in Mandriva, from which it is derived, does, however, have one of the best hardware detection and configuration programs anywhere, even though MEPIS is quite good too.

When anti gets back from vacation, it would be helpful to get with him and let him know the hardware in your systems so that he, and possibly Warren, can make improvements in that support in the future.
dieselbenz
masinick wrote:
dieselbenz wrote:

If they installed on PCLOS then they could be made to install with MEPIS and antiX as well. Chances are that some combination of options were hanging the installation. Sometimes adding noacpi is enough to get it to work. Other times a variety of"no this and no that" will do the trick. A"failsafe" mode of installation nearly always works, but then there may be things to configure later. With the MEPIS control center, setting stuff up is a breeze.

PCLOS, benefiting from the fine work in Mandriva, from which it is derived, does, however, have one of the best hardware detection and configuration programs anywhere, even though MEPIS is quite good too.

When anti gets back from vacation, it would be helpful to get with him and let him know the hardware in your systems so that he, and possibly Warren, can make improvements in that support in the future.
The install didn't hang -- video didn't work.

And, I dispute"can be made to work" mentality. For 99% of users (unlike us hardcore folks) it just has to work out fo the box or it is move-on to a different distro. There are no second chances at the install.
ko
h2 wrote:masinick, interesting result, sounds like it's working pretty well so far.

smxi still does not have Mepis kernel support, though that is not super pressing I think at the moment, but the infrastructure for it is there when required, with some testing.

Can you tell me what the file that is used to identify Mepis is, like /etc/antiX, or /etc/sidux-version?

This should show where it is: grep -is mepis /etc/*

This will let me improve the mepis detections and handling, but I won't be able to do active live support for that, but at some point in the future, I can add an antix/mepis user to the config/warning control panel where holds, configs, alert//warnings are set. I especially am interested in people who are tracking Debian testing based distros.
This is on Mepis 7.0:

ko@laptop:~$ grep -is mepis /etc/*
/etc/issue:Debian and Ubuntu help power the Magic of MEPIS TM
/etc/issue.net:Debian and Ubuntu help power the Magic of MEPIS TM
/etc/lsb-release:DISTRIB_ID=MEPIS
/etc/lsb-release:DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="MEPIS 7.0 (upgradable from Debian etch)"
/etc/motd:Linux laptop 2.6.22-1-mepis-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 18 21:44:02 EST 2008 i686
ko@laptop:~$

Regards, Ko
dark-D
tonight i wanted to enable sid and sidux repos. i have antix 7.5 installed for a few days and allready runed smxi. so i didn't know how to get smxi to show me the chooises to enable sid,sidux,testing,stable again. deleting smxi.conf didn't work. so i went to sources.list and uncomment sid and sidux then update
, install sidux-scripts, dist-upgrade. i can see some speed improvements in some programs and for antix per all it's to early to tell. i'll keep antix+sid+sidux and see how it goes and maybe a kernel change later on.

question: should i enable debian-multimedia repo too ?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
If you are going to keep to sid/sidux, I would also uncomment the debian-multimedia repo and comment out the Debian stable one.

Be aware though that sid can break some apps quite often, though fixes are usually very quick.
dark-D
should i comment out the security repos stable?
thanks anti i'm aware of that. if something goes postal i have things organized in such a way that i can install and configure everything in 15 min max.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Yeah, might as well.
dark-D
noob question about sources.list . anti i read on the post with security repo testing that if we use sid sidux we don't need them. if that is the case, should i comment out the testing debian repos too ? a sources.list for sid sidux should help me. i currently have comment out debian stable and security stable and the security testing i didn't add. i would like to find out if i can comment out something else to make update quiker . thanks in advance.
Last edited by dark-D on 19 Sep 2008, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.