topic title: Sid
macondo
I changed my sources.list to Sid this morning, did an update/dist-upgrade, it went fine, no problems, everything is working OK __{{emoticon}}__

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/1673696525_882b3cd911_o.png"
linktext was:"http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/167 ... d911_o.png"
====================================
moron
macondo
I followed your lead and upgraded to sid. No problems so far. All is well. Thanks.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
In many ways sid is more 'stable' than testing/Lenny because if an app does break (usually an app not the whole of antiX) then it is usually fixed in hours or a few days, whereas broken apps in testing/Lenny take longer to be fixed.
(BTW synaptic will be removed with a dist-upgrade in sid)

I have found antiX + sid to be very fast and stable.

I would also advise people to go to the sidux forum/upgrade warnings and see if there are any problems with sid upgrades.

url was:"http://www.sidux.com/module-PNphpBB2.html"
linktext was:"http://www.sidux.com/module-PNphpBB2.html"
moron
Thanks, Anti. I remembered that from your earlier post but I do appreciate the reminder.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:In many ways sid is more 'stable' than testing/Lenny because if an app does break (usually an app not the whole of antiX) then it is usually fixed in hours or a few days, whereas broken apps in testing/Lenny take longer to be fixed.
(BTW synaptic will be removed with a dist-upgrade in sid)

I have found antiX + sid to be very fast and stable.

I would also advise people to go to the sidux forum/upgrade warnings and see if there are any problems with sid upgrades.

url was:"http://www.sidux.com/module-PNphpBB2.html"
linktext was:"http://www.sidux.com/module-PNphpBB2.html"
I did not realize that you had the sidux repos in the list, so I will have to give this a go, install AntiX on one of my systems and bring in the sidux repos. Will try it out and let you know how it goes!
DJiNN
masinick wrote:I did not realize that you had the sidux repos in the list, so I will have to give this a go, install AntiX on one of my systems and bring in the sidux repos. Will try it out and let you know how it goes!
Hi masinick.

sid works really well on antiX - fast & stable and great fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy and welcome to the forums. __{{emoticon}}__
masinick
DJiNN wrote:
masinick wrote:I did not realize that you had the sidux repos in the list, so I will have to give this a go, install AntiX on one of my systems and bring in the sidux repos. Will try it out and let you know how it goes!
Hi masinick.

sid works really well on antiX - fast & stable and great fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy and welcome to the forums. __{{emoticon}}__
Thanks, I appreciate it! Looking forward to installing antiX to disk on my Dell Dimension 4100. Been using preview 1 Live with good results.
masinick
Well, I now have AntiX installed to disk. Now to switch those repositories and play with both Sid and my friend, sidux! __{{emoticon}}__
DJiNN
masinick wrote:Well, I now have AntiX installed to disk. Now to switch those repositories and play with both Sid and my friend, sidux! __{{emoticon}}__
Yay!! Way 2 go......! __{{emoticon}}__ What a weekend you're gonna have! LOL!
masinick
DJiNN wrote:
masinick wrote:Well, I now have AntiX installed to disk. Now to switch those repositories and play with both Sid and my friend, sidux! __{{emoticon}}__
Yay!! Way 2 go......! __{{emoticon}}__ What a weekend you're gonna have! LOL!
Thanks! Yes, I am enjoying it, most definitely.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You should be able to use the sidux repos as well as the sid ones in antiX without problems. If you do use the sidux repos, then you have the advantage of using their kernel upgrades. On my main box, I'm running antiX plus sid plus sidux on a 2.6.24-2.6.24.4.slh.5-sidux-686 kernel.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:You should be able to use the sidux repos as well as the sid ones in antiX without problems. If you do use the sidux repos, then you have the advantage of using their kernel upgrades. On my main box, I'm running antiX plus sid plus sidux on a 2.6.24-2.6.24.4.slh.5-sidux-686 kernel.
Yeah, that is what I figured. I got AntiX Preview 1 installed, but I did not have a lot of time to test it out against Sid and sidux - but I was salivating at the thought! __{{emoticon}}__ I want to save it for a time when I can fool around with it a bit. To me, it would be like the best of MEPIS, your AntiX stuff, and sidux - like wow. man! __{{emoticon}}__

When I do get a chance to get there I will be sure to let you know my thoughts on it.
DJiNN
After masinick mentioned the sidux repos, i thought i'd install a recent version of sidux here on the same machine i've got antiX on..... WOW!! Sidux is fast!! Even running KDE it's fast. But i never realised just how much work's involved keeping sidux running well. __{{emoticon}}__

The whole"Don't dist-upgrade" whilst in X really threw me, because it's what i'm used to doing. So i read a bit more, downloaded the smix script and had a play..... nice, but it seems even more work than an Arch install!! (Or am i missing something obvious here?) LOL!!

Anyway.... i'm going to experiment a bit more with sidux, just to get the feel of it, learn a bit more, and see what sid can do. Then, in time, i'll be better able to understand the whole thing.

Really impressed with the overall look of sidux as well. The new look & artwork (compared to the last time i tried a Live CD about a year ago) is great!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
DJiNN as I know you like to play with distros, why not try this.

Install antiX-M7.2-base (when released), dist-upgrade with default repos, add sidux and sid repos, dist-upgrade, install what you like apps wise and even a new sidux kernel.

You can do that with the present antiX-M7.2-preview2 and it should be fine.

Edit: I installed antiX-M7.2-base to VirtualBox, installed a full kde, added sidux and sid repos, dist-upgraded and installed the latest sidux 2.6.25 kernel.
Rebooted and ... all is fine!
DJiNN
Hi anti, thanks for the reply.

OK, i'll give that a go. I was just a bit worried after you mentioned before about adding sidux repos etc, that it may fall over. __{{emoticon}}__

I'm just dist-upgrading the sidux install right now, and all seems to be going well so far, so i'll reboot after it's done & do the same on antiX & see how it goes. I'll also have a go at installing KDE on this old P3 to see how it compares, mainly because i love Konqueror! __{{emoticon}}__

If i get stuck or run into major probs i'll shout.... Loud!! LOL!