eugen-b
This is a screenshot from my Via Eden 1Ghz, 3GB RAM, 32GB M.2 SSD. (If I only had made a screenshot of the ugly original Linux OS which was installed on that thin client...)

I use the Numix theme and the maia theme from Manjaro which is .svg only an very lightweight therefore. I don't like conky since it uses CPU and is not visible most of the time.
On the right you see btrfs subvolumes and a snapshot I made before installing LibreOffice 4.4.5 from the projects site. Had issues with slowly loading Office submenu so I changed the icon name in the .desktop files. They used .png icons and i redirected the files to maia's .svg icons.
Top left you see a clever feature borrowed from Manjaro Netbook Edition - a button to close current window. I's a launcher with a window-close icon and a code

Code: Select all

wmctrl -c :ACTIVE:
. It also has a function which comes as a byproduct in Xfce - it brings you to the leave session dialogue when the last window is closed and you click it one more time.
eugen-b
I got a little bored and wanted to install LXDE as an additional session. I installed install-meta-mx and installed lxde with it.
The icon theme is Ultra Flat Orange.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://postimage.org/index.php?lang=german"
linktext was:"picupload"
====================================

I replaced Openbox with xfwm4 to get transparency effect. This comes however with the cost of loosing keyboard shortcuts and some other problems, like cursor theme set to default white on items managed by the window manager. The customized close button doen't close the session anymore. Memory use isn't detected by Ressource Monitor panel plugin, Temperature plug in doen't work either. Size of menu icons cannot be set and I don't know why. My usual way to edit ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine adding the line gtk-icon-sizes="gtk-menu=24,24" doesn't work. And I don't know the magic word to put into /home/eugen/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf

Code: Select all

[Session]
window_manager=xfwm4
[GTK]
sNet/ThemeName=Numix
sNet/IconThemeName=Ultra-Flat-Orange
sNet/MenuIconSize=26 #tried different, neither worked
sGtk/FontName=Sans 10
iGtk/ToolbarStyle=3
iGtk/ButtonImages=1
iGtk/MenuImages=1
iGtk/CursorThemeSize=18
iXft/Antialias=1
sGtk/ColorScheme=
sGtk/CursorThemeName=oxy-white
iGtk/ToolbarIconSize=3
iNet/EnableEventSounds=1
iNet/EnableInputFeedbackSounds=1
iXft/Hinting=1
sXft/HintStyle=hintmedium
sXft/RGBA=rgb
The menu comes up very slowly (with Openbox as WM as well). All in all, a sobering experience.
eugen-b
This is wattOS LXDE version R8 based on Debian Wheezy. I installed it on a CF card and then copied the content of the root to a subvolume on my SSD. Then I modified Grub and am able to choose MX-14 or wattOS from Grub menu. I didn't do much on appearance yet, but added MEPIS repositories to get up-to-date software while beeing able to keep old Xserver base.
eugen-b
Back again, this time with a fresh install of antiX 13.2 'full'. Here is my Fluxbox with an adapted Numix-like theme.

I still have problems with getting the toolbar (actually iconbar) show icons only. The pixamps are also of low qualitiy.
- How can I improve the pixamps?
- How can I make the iconbar display icons only window buttons?
eugen-b
On the previous screenshot I made a mistake with the font name, here is the corrected verion:

greywolf
I replaced Openbox with xfwm4 to get transparency effect.
No need to do that. Just install and use"Compton" for your compositing needs with Openbox. Compton is only oooohhhhh about a million times better than xfce's composite manager!! __{{emoticon}}__

Cheers,
Greywolf.
eugen-b
greywolf wrote:
I replaced Openbox with xfwm4 to get transparency effect.
No need to do that. Just install and use"Compton" for your compositing needs with Openbox. Compton is only oooohhhhh about a million times better than xfce's composite manager!! __{{emoticon}}__

Cheers,
Greywolf.
I agree, but that was for testing and 'proof of concept' only. Now I'm about to do the opposite, replace xfwm with Openbox on an Xfce desktop.
eugen-b
SalentOS, feels stable, yet.
(Screenshot was modified a bit with Pinta.)
eric52
Really nice aesthetic integration in diverse contexts - an impressive demonstration that the medium is the message.
eugen-b
eric52 wrote:Really nice aesthetic integration in diverse contexts - an impressive demonstration that the medium is the message.
Thanks! __{{emoticon}}__
eugen-b
The eternal return of the same.

I compiled obmenu-generator following this guide
url was:"http://saleem-khan.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/how-to-build-obmenu-generator-for.html"
linktext was:"http://saleem-khan.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... r-for.html"

PS: On wattOS microwatt the same DE used 113MB
url was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?p=373339#p373339"
linktext was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 39#p373339"
eric52
Tribute to van Gogh - makes a strong impression.
eugen-b
eric52 wrote:Tribute to van Gogh - makes a strong impression.
It simply might be that Van Gogh, me and some other people like sunflowers. So, it is a tribute to sunflowers, nature and where it all comes from.
eugen-b
More of the same:
eugen-b
Having large menu icons can be achieved Fluxbox, too, as I recently found out on Manjaro. Should be possible on antiX as well.

You need to adjust the theme file to have the right
menu.itemHeight: 32
And you need an icon theme to have enought PNG icons of the right size.
On my screenshots these are nouveGnomeGray and matefaenza. Faenza should work as well. Check the folder of the theme to be sure.
fbmenugen -i usually produces a menu file with 16x16 or 22x22 icons. I don't know enough about Perl to be able to change the script of fbmenugen. So the only viable way I can recomend is to use Find & Replace in Leafpad and replaye all 16 or 22 by 32.
The result as you see on the screenshots are clear icons.

PS: I made Fluxbox taskbar invisible and added tint2 panel to autostart.
PPS: On Manjaro Fluxbox OpenRC x86_64 starts with 200MB RAM. __{{emoticon}}__