masinick
For what it's worth, I have had MX-14 installed for a couple of months now on my Lenovo laptop, and on that particular system, it's the most reliable and also one of the smoothest, fastest systems I have on that hardware, even though it's running a midrange Xfce desktop. It's not flashy, but it is very stable and extremely effective.

Anyone who complains about it (though I hope there are not very many) should note that they can get just about any software that may not be already included in this system by downloading it from the Debian repositories, from which most of the software originates. Personally I've changed very little in this particular MX-14 release, but I've messed a great deal with previous antiX releases, doing things like creating a nimble KDE version, creating special purpose systems with just a particular window manager and a few applications, and I've helped one or two others create their own specialized systems.

Back in 2006-2008, we had a guy in these forums who went by the handle of ErieFisher. He was one of the first to create his own customized version of antiX based on Xfce. Since I like Xfce too and I'd used it with Debian-based systems, soon I did the same thing, and I've run an antiX Core setup for the past 4-5 years using Xfce and Debian Sid packages. That's worked really well, and I've rarely had to mess around with it, plus it really did not take very many steps to set it up the way I wanted to run it.

As good as my own version is for me, this MX-14, for a much broader audience, is arguably a much better choice. It's very well designed, it does what it set out to do, it had a lot of feedback from the collective antiX and MEPIS communities during development, and it's managed and documented by a very good team.

It has worked out extremely well for me and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a mid range desktop system that is stable, easily modified, well documented, and very well engineered.
fatmac
I have changed only two programs from the basic iso, iceweasel instead of qupzilla, & audacious instead of clementine.
It is a little bit slower than antiX base on my netbook, but still way faster than some other distros.
I think it is a good replacement/recommendation for XP users.
nats007
Hello antiX community,

It's been a while since I've posted (a few years actually __{{emoticon}}__ ), and something triggered me to check out the mepiscommunity.org website since I'm know starting to think about updating my Mepis 11 install on my desktop (actually still runs Mepis 11 24/7 :number1: ). I also still have my customized antix 8.5 running on my Eee with no issues!!!! I figured that there wouldn't be much updates, but to my surprise I see you guys have been working on a new distro with the antiX team. This immediately sparked some interest and I quickly read through some of the reviews written on MX Linux and now I'm sold to give it a try!

First off, I applaud you all for keeping the magic of Mepis alive despite the slowing or lack thereof development! I'll admit, that was part of the reason why I kind of fell off (not to mention having 2 kids under the age of 3 and working on swapping a motor into my car). I'm thankful that I decided to visit and will provide feedback in the coming weeks on MX.

I do have one question... Is this a 3rd version or is it a merger of Mepis and antiX as a"special edition" release? I'm trying to follow if there is still a separate antiX release alongside MX Linux.

Very Respectfully,
Nats007
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Welcome back Nats007!

Thanks for the positive comments.

MX started as an idea from Jerry over at the MEPIS Community to (initially) provide an XFCE MEPIS version. Since MEPIS was/is on hold, we at antiX decided to our build scripts (no longer MEPIS based) to create an XFCE version. The MEPIS Community rallied round and MX-14 is the result. I am proud of how well this collaborative effort has turned out.

MX was/is (at the moment) a 'special' edition of antiX, mainly because we were/are not sure whether to positon MX as a separate distro. (IMHO it isn't really a separate distro, but a spin of antiX with a lot of added extras that have been developed specifically for MX).

There will be MX-15 based on Debian Jessie (when it goes stable). antiX-14 is being worked on and there have been some alpha releases. antiX-14 will be 'rolling' based on Debian Testing.

Hope that answers your questions.
Jerry
(IMHO it isn't really a separate distro, but a spin of antiX with a lot of added extras that have been developed specifically for MX).
Funny, that's exactly how I see it...