topic title: MX-14 review
anticapitalista
Site Admin
The first review of MX-14 and it is very positive.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.gr/2014/04/antix-mx-14-symbiosis-review-truly.html"
linktext was:"http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.gr/2014/ ... truly.html"
====================================
fatmac
Let us hope more people see reviews like this. __{{emoticon}}__
worktowork
Posts 0
worktowork
good review , thank you
jdmeaux1952
I also use a windows program __{{emoticon}}__ that allows me to"share" a webpage onto Facebook. __{{emoticon}}__ (Hey, I like to keep in touch with some of the ladies from West Virginia.) __{{emoticon}}__

So I"shared" the review to some of my friends, who have now asked me for more information about it. I have had about 4 who asked me to explain to them how to dual-boot with windows XP so they could try it out. One has commented to me about how intuitive it was once she understood what the browser program was. She loves the idea of a YouTube video waiting to start rather than just start up (with a baby you never know when you have to walk away from the puter.) She is going to talk to some others ladies at church about this and how I helped her. More converts. Hopefully we will be seeing them on the forums. I'll probably be having blue-haired old ladies pestering me for advice. __{{emoticon}}__ Most of these ladies use their computers to play games, e-mail family and friends, and keep up on Facebook with news and games. No computer gurus in that group. But word of mouth can go a long way.
dolphin_oracle
Dual boot video up on the channel __{{emoticon}}__ **end of shameless plug**

WV huh, that's home you are talking about there. Misplaced Mountaineer I am.
zarg2
Sneeky is back on YT with a nice review of MX14

link:
zarg2
Wow, I must apologise; i requested this reveiw as the reveiwer is usually tough but fair. I was not happy with the reveiw as he seems way too focused on asthetics. the only part that i agree with is i think Qupzilla as the default browser is way too buggy. anyway with apologies here it is;

Link:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/antix-mx-14.html"
linktext was:"http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/antix-mx-14.html"
====================================
anticapitalista
Site Admin
zarg2 - I'm not surprised at all because Dedoimedo loves his bling. I don't think he would like any lightweight distro that fits on a cd.
zarg2
yes but I think he was brutal in the reveiw and did not take the aim of the distro into account. BTW I have MX14 running on my Dell 4700 which i use as a mediaserver and I really like XFCE in this distro.
dolphin_oracle
Another reviewer who cares about themes and icon sets more than the fact that the distro works and flies.
zarg2
dolphin_oracle wrote:Another reviewer who cares about themes and icon sets more than the fact that the distro works and flies.
He ripped Makulu for too much eye candy and fluff but gives MX14 a hard time for being ugly? Well MX14 is a Swan after you tweak what you want. The only usefull input from reveiw :

Replace qupzilla as default.

In the future streamline the installer to make it less easy for newbies to screw up.
BitJam
zarg2 wrote:[the reviewer said:]
In the future streamline the installer to make it less easy for newbies to screw up.
I think we've gone full circle on this. When it was more streamlined some people complained that it was seriously flawed by not having enough customization options.
rokytnji
some people complained that it was seriously flawed by not having enough customization options.
Raises hand as guilty party when he owned a dual drive eeepc 900.

I can be a PITA sometimes I guess.
dolphin_oracle
yeah, I like being compared to ubuntu installers. as long as you don't do anything custom in those you are fine. as soon as you want to do something like dual-booting on existing paritions, you have to start labeling things whats root and whats not.

I'll take the mepis/antix installer any day of the week.
dziekuje

17 Apr 2014, 18:50 #15

As a newbie with hardly any experience of linux I found the installation easy and clear. It worked for me! Now I am trying to learn how to get it to my preferences.

Thank you to jdmeaux52 for his extremely clear advice on conky

Dziekuje