anticapitalista
Site Admin
Available from here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Testing/MX-14/beta/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... X-14/beta/"
====================================

Post feedback in this thread or over here:

url was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=35465"
linktext was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 91&t=35465"

{More info to come}
SamK
Wired Network Adaptor Issue

Beta1 v Beta2 on the same laptop in a wired only network (no wireless)

In Beta1 this worked straight-out-of-the-box.

In Beta2 wired networking fails.

Code: Select all

inxi -n
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX 
           IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection driver: ipw2200 
           IF: eth0 state: dormant mac: 00:13:ce:b9:90:bb
ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:13:ce:b9:90:bb  
          inet6 addr: fe80::213:ceff:feb9:90bb/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:732 (732.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:240 (240.0 B)  TX bytes:240 (240.0 B)
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What if you run ceni?
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:What if you run ceni?
Ceni finds only the wireless adaptor (eth0) so is unable to help with the wired adaptor.
tradetaxfree
MX-14 works very well & Virtualbox Guest Additions Modules compile ok (they fail to build on 13.2 Full 64 bit - they build ok on 13.1 base 64 bit) - the only thing missing from MX-14 is icedtea-7-plugin so that Java applets work in Qupzilla (
url was:"http://solusvm.com/"
linktext was:"SolusVM"
's applets work without any further configuration once icedtea is installed). It runs happily at 1366 x 768 resolution in Virtualbox with 3D acceleration enabled Virtualbox seamless mode also works great - the task bar on the left hand side is fantastic.

The only other thing I noticed is Persistence will only work using the manual method of persist-save (there are no hooks for automatic & semi-automatic in the shutdown / reboot process).

The Live Image a great solution for managing VPS's with
url was:"http://sourceforge.net/projects/pacmanager/"
linktext was:"PAC Manager"
from a windows box. My persistence file is only 182 meg.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
That tradetaxfree.

icedtea-7-plugin will be in next version.

We are working on an automatic persist-save. It seems to be ok, so will appear in next beta.

url was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=35481&start=22"
linktext was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 1&start=22"
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
Is MX14 following Testing or Stable and is a 64bit version planned?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
It is following Stable and no 64 bit version is planned.
rjm65
anticapitalista wrote:It is following Stable and no 64 bit version is planned.
It loads nice on older laptops uses a lot of ram though?? 245 megs to be exact...
since I only have 512 megs ram that is a little too hefty for me, mint 13 xfce loads to desktop using 129 megs and I can tweak that down to about 90 megs removing a lot of garbage they run that I do not use...
I would consider running mx14 on these older machines if a few things were changed on it...
1. the ability to choose my desktop manager like I can using antix 13.2 full ( I need a simple windows 98 style taskbar at bottom just like mint 13 xfce has)
2. get rid of thunar it sucks.. pcmanfm i think it is named is the best file manager...
3. lxtask manager better then that scrappy task manager called easy task....
keep up the great work anticapitalista I am still running your antix 13.2 full on my super old lappy boots using 28 megs now... LOL __{{emoticon}}__
BitJam
Here, in VirtualBox, MX-14-beta-2 Live boots to the desktop using only 102 Meg:

Code: Select all

$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1516        154       1361          0          2         50
-/+ buffers/cache:        102       1413
Swap:          511          0        511
This was after I dropped the caches (as root: echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches). Before dropping, it used 109 Meg. It goes up to 154 Meg after I launch a terminal window and a browser.

Even with this low RAM footprint, AFAIK, MX is designed to be a mid-weight distro so I don't think it will get squeezed down in size and RAM usage the way antiX is squeezed down.

Edit: 126 --> 102.
Last edited by BitJam on 19 Feb 2014, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
dolphin_oracle
rjm65 wrote:
It loads nice on older laptops uses a lot of ram though?? 245 megs to be exact...
since I only have 512 megs ram that is a little too hefty for me, mint 13 xfce loads to desktop using 129 megs and I can tweak that down to about 90 megs removing a lot of garbage they run that I do not use...
I would consider running mx14 on these older machines if a few things were changed on it...
1. the ability to choose my desktop manager like I can using antix 13.2 full ( I need a simple windows 98 style taskbar at bottom just like mint 13 xfce has)
2. get rid of thunar it sucks.. pcmanfm i think it is named is the best file manager...
keep up the great work anticapitalista I am still running your antix 13.2 full on my super old lappy boots using 28 megs now... LOL __{{emoticon}}__
BitJam's take on the weight is accurate. In comparison to KDE, its a lightweight! The PAE kernel limits some processor options as well, but the target market isn't old hardware.

1. you can move the vertical panel on the left to the bottom. You can do this in the panel properties. a classic menu is available as well, and accessible by default from a desktop-right-click menu. You can add the classic menu to the panel as well via the add item dialogs.

2. I agree, thunar isn't the greatest filemanager out there, but its a integral part of the xfce4 desktop, running the desktop as well as the volume-management, and therefore a necessary evil. luckily spacefm is available in the meta-installer. There are other options as well.
rjm65
dolphin_oracle wrote:
rjm65 wrote:
BitJam's take on the weight is accurate. In comparison to KDE, its a lightweight! The PAE kernel limits some processor options as well, but the target market isn't old hardware.

1. you can move the vertical panel on the left to the bottom. You can do this in the panel properties. a classic menu is available as well, and accessible by default from a desktop-right-click menu. You can add the classic menu to the panel as well via the add item dialogs.

2. I agree, thunar isn't the greatest filemanager out there, but its a integral part of the xfce4 desktop, running the desktop as well as the volume-management, and therefore a necessary evil. luckily spacefm is available in the meta-installer. There are other options as well.
I installed it and I am tooling around, I got it down to 138 megs so far, I would love to know how to install software on it, cause the software manager seems to be missing....
BTW that was what the system information tool said it was using booting up in live CD the 249 megs....
didn't realize you had another tool in there that was more accurate called htop, again I miss my lxtask manager and want to install it cause it gives me accurate readings at top for the ram.... the easy task manager doesn't have that....
also I will try to mess around with the taskbar wish me luck, I really like this it boots up and runs nice imo.... __{{emoticon}}__
rjm65
No luck on the panel i see no options to get it on the bottom just top or left are my choices and nothing in there to change it to a classic menu like win 98..... __{{emoticon}}__
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Move it to the top, unlock and drag down to the bottom. Then lock.
rjm65
ok i found a major bug so I guess i am going to uninstall it since this qupzilla refuses to play a youtube video it just blows up instead...
this is the reason I am scrambling to find a distro that works playing youtube videos cause all of them are crashing lately and nobody has an answer..... since 3 days ago after updates youtube videos went out on mint peppermint ubuntu and now also mx14.... it's a great little distro but on these old machines I have to go with ubuntu based distros that look like windows or people are lost when I give it to them to use....