santotomas
At this moment, a full 3 months after switching to Linux from my old Win XP system, I still haven't been able to get my Canon PIXMA ip1900 series printer going. This printer does not appear on my CC printer setup list of recognised printers so I'm needing some tips as to how to install this thing. BTW, I have the original installation CD which, for fear of getting things screwed up (It is meant for Windows systems), I have not run yet. I've also searched around the web for successful installs of this printer and found this method :

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-drivers-for-canon-printers-pixma-ip-series-on-ubuntu-14-0413-1013-0412-1012-04-linux-mint-16151413-pear-os-87-and-elementary-os-0-2/"
linktext was:"http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-driver ... ry-os-0-2/"
====================================

Please let me know what to do folks since you've been an enormous help to me so far. Should I go ahead and run the installation CD or use the other method I've indicated above?

As always, thank you very much in Advance. __{{emoticon}}__
fatmac
Your installation CD will likely only have Windows drivers on it so you will need to try the method in that link to get it to work in Linux. Good luck.
santotomas
FatMac,

Thanks for your prompt reply. My only question before I proceed right now is that the instructions given in the link I gave is for Ubuntu. Would I be able to use it on my AntiX distro although the instructions are for Ubuntu and Mint? __{{emoticon}}__
fatmac
Those distros are Debian based as is AntiX, so it is likely to work.
Canon iP1900 Ubuntu Drivers:
$ sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-ip1900series
That just appears to be a driver package.
santotomas
fatmac,

The instructions for installing my printer begin with the installation of libtiff4 which, when I checked in my Synaptic listing, was already marked with a green box. I assume it is already installed in my system. Since I don't want to mess up my access to Synaptic as has happened to me before, should I just go ahead and install the driver for this printer (the next step)? After I install the driver, what next? It doesn't specify. __{{emoticon}}__

Canon iP1900 Ubuntu Drivers:

$ sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-ip1900series
fatmac
Give it a try, I don't use printers, but the principle is the same as any other software.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-ip1900series
If that doesn't work, you may have to get it from Ubuntu.

url was:"http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/"
linktext was:"http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/"

& then use

dpkg -i cnijfilter-ip1900series*.deb
Edit: You may need to reboot to activate it.
santotomas
fatmac:

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/ you provided. It just looked like a long list with no search box to find what I need. So I went straight to the Canon linux drivers download here:

url was:"http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/InkJet/PIXMA_iP_series/PIXMA_iP1900.aspx?type=download&language=EN&os=Linux"
linktext was:"http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Con ... N&os=Linux"

Downloaded the driver for this exact printer Pixma ip1900 and it downloaded to my file manager. There are 3 files sitting there:

cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb
cnijfilter-common-3.00-1.tar.gz
cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb

So, what do I do with these files? Do I use all three and do I extract them before installing? (my guess?) Would I use debpkg installer, or what can I do? Forgive my ignorance. I'm a bit new at using the terminal for installing software.

Thank you again!
fatmac
I would try

sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb
followed by

sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb
& reboot.
santotomas
fatmac wrote:
I would try

followed by

sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb
& reboot.
fatmac This is the message I got back from the root terminal:

dpkg: error processing cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
fatmac
Were you in the directory containing the files?
caprea
You can also easily install the deb.packages
with the gdebi- package-installer ,which is included in antix-menu.
santotomas
caprea wrote:You can also easily install the deb.packages
with the gdebi- package-installer ,which is included in antix-menu.
Thanks for joining in Caprea. This is giving me a boxing lesson, but I'm not giving up.

Anyway, from my archive manager - where the 3 files are sitting- I side clicked on the first one:
cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb and had it open with gdebi- package installer ; I clicked 'install package' and it started to do so until it got to the end. Then, it gave me this message:

"Failed to completely install all dependencies. To fix this run 'sudo apt-get install -f' in terminal window."

I did so and it removed another file (lib something or other) and said it was done. But I still can't completely install with gdebi. What next???
__{{emoticon}}__

I also checked into Synaptic and found the 'broken' file. Sure enough, it was cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb with a red box in front of it. What next??
caprea
Think you managed your broken depencies, if not so ,go to synaptik and remove
Take the simple remove ,not the complete remove.

Ok,I tried to install" cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb" on my box.The missing depency is"libcupsys2".If you google for this you will find a lot of people having problems to install their canon printers.The"libcupsys2" doesn`t exist anymore in the repos and it`s now called"libcups2".

There are some workarounds and this one seems to work, but it`s a little bit tricky.

url was:"https://sites.google.com/site/debianinstallnotes/helps/printers/canon-ip1900"
linktext was:"https://sites.google.com/site/debianins ... non-ip1900"

Just ask ,if you want to try.
santotomas
Caprea,

I will try if you don't mind going along with a total neophite in this type of thing.

I removed the broken file from Synaptic and all seems fine again in Synaptic.

Now, regarding that workaround you linked me to: it's not so daunting until I get to the word"repackage." 1. Exactly what does that mean? Is that what I type into the terminal?

dpkg-deb -x cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb common
dpkg-deb --control cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb

2."now you see two new folders - common and DEBIAN. now to change the file control in DEBIAN to reflect libcups2."

cd DEBIAN
leafpad control"

The rest of the instructions don't seem so mystical to me so I'll just wait for you response and try it straight through.

My only concern is to do this thing in the correct sequence.

Thanks again Caprea.
caprea
It`s not so heavy.The commands are exactly what you have to type in terminal.But first you have to go into the directory
of the files you`ve allready downloaded.This you do with the command" cd".So if the both files are in the folder"Downloads" you type

cd Downloads
Then you can beginn with the first commands.

2.Don`t close terminal.With this commands you go to the debian folder and it will open leafpad.There you can change libcupsys2 into libcups2.Save file and go on.

Good luck,I hope it will work.If you are not sure what to do,just ask again.