santotomas
Caprea,

To"extract" - as in the second step- my files are sitting in my"File Manager" - I don't even see these in my downloads list. Do I simply side click and extract each one (three of them) right there or do I move these files somewhere else? This, I'm assuming, I need to do before I open my terminal? I told you I was a neophyte! __{{emoticon}}__
caprea
Santotomas,
if you have these three folders in your filemanager("files",ore from the antixmenu it`s"home",(this is where terminal starts normally)

Code: Select all

cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb
cnijfilter-common-3.00-1.tar.gz
cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb
Open terminal and you can begin with the first command.

If it is not the right direction the terminal will tell us
caprea
Download Debian drivers over at
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/InkJet/PIXMA_iP_series/PIXMA_iP1900.aspx?type=download&language=EN&os=Linux"
linktext was:"http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Con ... N&os=Linux"
====================================

extract(one time)

repackage the common .deb.with the following command: Open terminal

dpkg-deb -x cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb common
dpkg-deb --control cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb

now you see two new folders - common and DEBIAN. now to change the file control in DEBIAN to reflect libcups2. with this commands:

cd DEBIAN
leafpad control

look for the line

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.1), libpopt0 (>= 1.7)

and change libcupsys2 to libcups2. Save the file.(This doesn`t mean you have to save it anywhere,just close the leafpad and then you are asked to save changes. Say yes )

Close terminal.

Now, copy the entire DEBIAN folder into common.(Move DEBIAN folder to common with mouse and choose copy)

Then repackage these into a .deb. Open terminal (If you do this all in your"Downloads-folder" you have to beginn again with the >cd ./Downloads< command ,cause there the package sits)

dpkg -b common cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb

Install that .deb file (with gdebi-paket-installation,will now work)

.Delete now the folder DEBIAN and common.Otherwise you wil have afterwards 2 folders of common .This can be confusing.

Then go on.

Repeat for cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb

dpkg-deb -x cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb common
dpkg-deb --control cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb

edit the control file as before (change libcupsys2 to libcups2)
(Means use again the"cd DEBIAN" and" leafpad control" command)

Close terminal.

copy the DEBIAN folder into common.

Then open terminal
dpkg -b common cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb

Install that one too, and then, use cups to add the printer:
url was:"http://localhost:631"
linktext was:"http://localhost:631"
(plugged in)

I installed both packages succesfully on my box without depencyproblems,but I dont have a canon printer.So I hope it works.

The last step
set root ownership of the filter
sudo chown root /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanonij

doesn`t work like this in antix,cause antix doesn`t have /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanoni

I could only guess how to change.Maybe one of the guys here can help when its the time.
Last edited by caprea on 02 Dec 2014, 14:39, edited 4 times in total.
santotomas
Caprea,
I'm in a quandary; when I checked Synaptic I found the libcups2 installed in rep (green box) with a yellow star- meaning its upgradable. Should I do anything with this file in Snaptic as it seems to be on there already?

I did the first couple of steps. In root terminal I got this message.
root@usual362:/home/aidylm# dpkg-deb -x cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb commondpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive `cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb': No such file or directory
root@usual362:/home/aidylm# dpkg-deb --control cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.debdpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive `cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb': No such file or directory
I think I messed up after extracting as I wasn't sure of the next step. Sorry about that.
What next?
caprea
Santomas,
first of all you don`t have to be root,to do this.Just use the normal terminal.
libcups2 is installed in antix,but the driver from canon wants to have libscupsys2,which is the old version.So with the commands above you just change the words in the driver.

If you have yelllow stars in synaptic you should update your system.The easiest way to do this is open terminal(not root) and type

sudo apt-get update
Password:(your pasword)

And after this

sudo apt-get upgrade
You will be asked if you want to update .Say yes.
I wonder if you never did this.

With the printer-driver you should maybe begin from the start.Downloading the driver.Extract just one time.
Unless you have these two files sitting there:

we surely can put them in a direction where terminal will find them,but you have to have this two files.

You can easiely put them in your"Downloads" folder.And then beginn with the command

cd Downloads
santotomas
[color=#4000FF wrote:"caprea"]Download Debian drivers over at
url was:"http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/InkJet/PIXMA_iP_series/PIXMA_iP1900.aspx?type=download&language=EN&os=Linux"
linktext was:"http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Con ... N&os=Linux"

extract(one time)

repackage the common .deb.with the following command: Open terminal

now you see two new folders - common and DEBIAN. now to change the file control in DEBIAN to reflect libcups2.

cd DEBIAN
leafpad control

look for the line

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.1), libpopt0 (>= 1.7)

and change libcupsys2 to libcups2. Save the file.(This doesn`t mean you have to save it anywhere,just close the leafpad and then you are asked to save changes. Say yes )

[/color]

Caprea,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Have family over for the holidays. The above is as far as I got. I'm stuck."Now copy entire Debian folder into the COMMON." I'm not sure how to do this? I only found the"control" file by opening every file in cnijfilter-common_3.00-1i386.deb. I changed the dependency as per your instructions and saved. I sort of went blank after that.
santotomas
Caprea,

I tried editing the control file (Debian) again today and it would not save although it asked me to confirm"save changes," I pressed"yes" and close. Then I open again and the libcupsys2 remains unchanged. It will NOT take any changes to its file. Is this a permissions problem or what?

I tried repackage step by opening terminal and typing in

Gives me this message

$ dpkg-deb -x cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb common
dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive `cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb': No such file or directory
aidylm@usual362:~
$ dpkg-deb --control cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb

There's gottta be an easier workaround. Help please. __{{emoticon}}__
santotomas
BTW, I use leafpad to make the dit.
caprea
This way it won't work.
You have to use the commands above.
Good point:you are not giving up

If terminal tells you" no such file or directory"then the terminal is not in the right direction.
Try this:
Open your"Downloads"-folder (it's not the downloadlist, its the folder Downloads) .Move the
and the
with your mouse into the"Downloads"-folder, and choose copy.(Maybe they are allready sitting there,I don't know ,if you ever tried to beginn with the command >cd ./Downloads< )

Then the first command is

cd ./Downloads
Press enter (terminal will now change into the"Downloads -direction)

Then beginn with the commands from the instruction.

This normally should work.
caprea
Santotomas,
just for clarification.If you open your home from antixmenu or your home/aidylm from the files, this is where the terminal starts.You only have to move the two files:

to there with your mouse,then you can use the commands just as they are in the instruction,and terminal won't tell you"no such file or directory"

You can also move the two files to any folder you like , but then you have to tell the terminal with the cd command to go there.
caprea
Santotomas,
had some time this morning I looked again at the situation.
On this side found an old version of libcupsys2 to download.It's a dummy package.

url was:"http://archive.debian.net/lenny/all/libcupsys2/download"
linktext was:"http://archive.debian.net/lenny/all/libcupsys2/download"

You can install this first with the gdebi package installation.And then try again to install the two files with gdebi:

Maybe it works or not,I don't know ,but I would give it a try.
santotomas
To all of you,

For the time being, I've re-installed my Pixma on my (old) remaining Win XP machine as I could not get the driver for my Linux machine"re-packaged" and therefore would not install my printer. I say for the time being as I will continue to try your various suggestions to install this printer on my Linux machine. Except for this I am quite happy with my Antix OS. Works like a charm. __{{emoticon}}__
KrunchTime
@santotomas: The Canon drivers probably only work with Debian Old Stable. I have a Canon MX860 Multi-Function Inkjet. The drivers worked fine under Debian Old Stable, but didn't work under Debian Wheezy (current Stable). If you're machine has the proper specs, you could try running Windows XP in a VM and use your printer that way. I put together a how-to on installing
url was:"http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=36436"
linktext was:"Windows 7 Pro under VirtualBox"
that might be useful if you decide to give it a go.
santotomas
KrunchTime wrote:@santotomas: The Canon drivers probably only work with Debian Old Stable. I have a Canon MX860 Multi-Function Inkjet. The drivers worked fine under Debian Old Stable, but didn't work under Debian Wheezy (current Stable). If you're machine has the proper specs, you could try running Windows XP in a VM and use your printer that way. I put together a how-to on installing
url was:"http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=36436"
linktext was:"Windows 7 Pro under VirtualBox"
that might be useful if you decide to give it a go.
Thank you very much KrunchTime. I will definitely give your how-to a try as I'm now getting around to explore VirtualBox. It seems like a fascinating application. Again, thank you.