topic title: Distros I recommend
SamK
thriftee wrote: I wonder if that would satisfy Samk as well or if he really needs the conky toggle separate on the main menu.
Your approach seems akin to running Conky as a user-service (for want of a better expression). In that way its activated at start-up or switch of WM. That is OK if you accept the reduced usefulness of it being embedded in the desktop and constanly running even though it is usually obscured.

To have have it pop up a window above everything else and be able to do it on demand to save wasted resources without switching etc requires it is controlled in a similar manner to any other app i.e. by having its own entry in the antiX menu.
thriftee
Sam,

I would guess that 10 or 20 times a day I want to look at that screen. On the slow, low memory machines, maybe I just need to bite the bullet on the 1 or 2 mb and run it on a 5 second interval.

I use the screen a lot. It has the things I'm looking for up to date on it.
male
I became known in 2009 (mandriva) mageia in the Linux world.
I still think this"all-round carefree Distri" for one.

Here's a screenshot of the heavily modified by me LXQT version:
- above is plank
- below the tint2 panel

The background image is @rocky.

Links of Conky is modified by @zephyr from the sid-forum:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=uehrg5ptl2kquqj4c8oodq8db2&topic=1738.msg43899#new"
linktext was:"http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?PH ... g43899#new"
====================================

Right Conky's are @olgmen:

url was:"http://olgmen.blogspot.de/search/label/conky"
linktext was:"http://olgmen.blogspot.de/search/label/conky"

-a analog clock
-a Weather Barometer
-a Calendar
LinixLighter
My machine stays triple boot.Primary is, and has been for a long,long time LinuxLite.It's a rock.The best distro since Xandros.
Second is Mint Debian2 just to screw with a rolling release.For a Debian N00B I'd give it a #1 due to their forum volume.
Third has been everything imaginable.
So far I like this MX15 just fine.I spend more time in it than LL, which is a first for me in quite some time.Bravo.

For a non-geek who may be interested in geek-dom ? Vector is a fun one with some good support and tutorials available. Perfect for a student of Linux and a first dance with the terminal.
Puppy is garbage. Bodhi is run out of a mental facility.Pure Ubuntu is more concerned with the calendar than the product itself.
That's where Clem and the team come in smelling like.....mouthwash __{{emoticon}}__ "minty".
LL takes that to the next level.
LinixLighter
I've been working on this MX15 install off and on today. Got rid of Chrome and Firefox-Thunderchicken,Installed Chromium and supertuned it, cleaned up Skype to not start on boot, switched to the other installed sound card,installed Uget,cleaned up the notification area. Messed with the multimedia plugins. set up to boot first in Grub instead of Lite.

This is a great system.I'm going to grab a SSHD and clone it in a couple days or so after I try harder to break it.
BRAVO. Well done. As good as any I've used. The last good XF I liked this much was SalineoS.
Anyone remember that one ?
coyotito
2003.. at that time competition was stiff because the all time No. 1 best Linux of all times was still going strong: Libranet.
Libranet 2.8.1 was a dream for a Linux user at the time even if it was commercial. Cost very little though.
It ended with the untimely death of the lead developer.

Mepis sure was cool and I tried several times to make it my everyday distro but it never worked out for me.

Refracta seems full of promise.

For a rock stable trouble free system that is also fast and has lots of desktop goodies incl. perfectly working bluetooth audio try Mint LMDE2 with stable repos.
masinick wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:I thought this might be interesting. Just google for more info.

Refracta - A very lightweight Debian Xfce distro with cool scripts some of which we adapted for antiX

LinuxBBQ - A constant supply of uploaded iso flavours ranging from the the usual suspects desktops to the obscure. These guys would win the Merkel award for productivity! Try some of their flavours out.

AUSTRUMI - an old favourite of mine. Fast and light, ideal for running on a stick.

Add yours.
Well, in addition to our own distribution, which has been one of my favorites since I first learned about it in 2006, I really liked the very early versions of MEPIS from 2003, the year before Warren finalized on using KDE on the desktop instead of the lighter alternatives he experimented with when he first shared builds.

So the May 2003 edition of MEPIS was one of my all-time favorites because:

1) it was light enough to run live from CD, yet easy enough and flexible enough to install.

I later appreciated the full-featured versions of SimplyMEPIS, but not for lightness, but instead for their stability, which continues to mark the the name.

2) I really liked the first version of antiX in 2006, and I also liked the first version of antiX Core.

3) About three or four years ago, there was a really cool Debian Live project, where you could, on the spot, request a build from whatever repo you wanted. I did a number of builds from several versions. I liked it so much that I requested a custom build of Sid, and used it as the basis of the main system that I use to this very day.

To be honest with you, all of my true favorites come from a few years to several years back. As far as our own stuff, we've made versions more capable, but because the stuff from which the applications are built, even our works have grown over the years, so my real favorites are"out of the past". That's not our fault; that's just the way it is.

I like SliTAZ. A few years ago I used it quite a bit, but I run all of my systems away from a wired interface point, so I really need systems that can run wireless out of the box; otherwise I have to physically carry my systems to a place where I can connect them directly to a wired Ethernet connection. That is inconvenient and I can't always do it, so systems that I have to install and retrofit wireless capabilities get put on the back burner, and that includes some of the small ones that I really used to enjoy!

Oh well, that's just the way it is for me right now. If that changed, what I'd be running and the frequency that I'd be testing may change too.
fatmac
I've been trying out Devuan based distros. __{{emoticon}}__

MiyoLinux, which I'm really liking because it is basically just a functioning internet/wifi/Firefox out of the box distro, you get to add the programs that you want. __{{emoticon}}__

Refracta8, which is now Devuan based, uses xfce, & has abiword & gnumeric rather than openoffice, so giving a functional lightweight desktop distro. __{{emoticon}}__

And, I'm still impressed by how small a functioning OpenBSD system can be.

(My Antix choice is the base version.)
skidoo
Citing health/personal concerns, the dev has stated that MiyoLinux will not be developed further:
ref
url was:"http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=62"
linktext was:"http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=62"
coyotito
How is Refracta8 when it comes to hardware/drivers?

I'm getting a Lenovo T500 now, probably would not be any problem there, but I will try Refracta on my cheap lenovo B50-45
which is a win8 pc and has newer hw. Slow pc, needs a light system.
goro.ddaimonx
I like these:
LXLE - Based on Ubuntu Linux dudes and very lightweight
Bodhi Linux - Another LightWeight Linux distro UBuntu based.
Manjaro - Arch Linux easy mode.
PcLinuxOS - A stable Roling Release.
LMDE - Debian flavor of Linux Mint for noobs.
Shay
Refracta8, picked up the right Broadcom driver, but wicd failed to find any networks.
Clunky to my thoughts.
coyotito
You did of course manually fill in wlan0 device in wicd?
Yes, Devuan is still work in progress but it and refracta will be good I'm sure.
Shay
coyotito wrote:You did of course manually fill in wlan0 device in wicd?
Did not think of that. Got a how to link?
Yes, Devuan is still work in progress but it and refracta will be good I'm sure.
I will keep a eye on it most likely. But AntiX is my favorite.
thriftee
Something I've learned is that the one man distros are fun to play with, and maybe you can glean ideas and code from them, but if you try to run it for all your stuff, you might end up suffering as time goes by because for one person to keep up with everything, its probably just too much on a long term basis, and so, as someone else trying to use that code, you might not be able to do what you wish you could unless you have the ability to make it do it all yourself.

Been there, done that...
skidoo
thriftee, I agree (seventeen times bitten, twice as shy).
To this day, I still miss arpinux...

I continually boot n test drive a LOT of disro releases, curious to see how the other half lives (or something) and most of the time immediately (first session) wind up feeling like"ouch. sux to be the other half."

Refracta specifically (and Devuan), aside from choosing a desktop wallpaper, they seem to put neearly zero love/curation into their releases. Users wind up with unfavorable default configuration(s) like"Synaptic: treat 'Recommended' packages as 'Depends'" because dipstick authors or dipstick (er, overworked) package maintainer set it that way and the"distro devs" don't think to, or don't care to bother changing to sane defaults. Check my math but IIRC the recently released"Refracta-live version of DevuanBeta" doesn't even provide preinstalled locate/mlocate command, for pete's sake. fsmith42red99huthut is a cool dude, but seems to perennially have his head stuck in the sand (or, is it locked away inside a LUKS volume?) and his tools haven't evolved to keep pace with advancements in tools invented elsewhere.

antiX kernel includes hella lot more support for a variety of hardware than does devuan/Refracta, antiX live tools (snapshot, live-usb-maker, etc) are head-n-shoulders superior to tools provided by other distros. Howabout the antiX live-kernel-replacer tool? Ask in just about any other distro's support forum & expect to be told"no, sorry, can't be done."

So, I'm left wondering what's up with the grass-might-be-greener-someday-maybe-eventually searching?
What need, or want, does antiX currently not fulfill?