topic title: checkin' in
dieselbenz
I apologize for my long absence. I was roped back in by an"are you still alive?" sort of email from someone on here.
To bring you up to date.

A tornado just (as in a half hour ago) passed about five miles south of my house. We went to the basement, me armed with a flashlight, a battery-operated television and my laptop (I am online as long as power stays on and the wireless router continues to live).

You might have seen news reports about the nasty tornado in Iowa a few days ago. That is in my state but about 100 miles to the east of me. So, when the warning sirens went off this evening, there was no"do we go to the basement" discussion -- we went.

I am still running antiX on one of my systems. In fact, I am loading it up on a second system as I type this (out in my garage -- again, wireless). I am sort of an antiX evangelist and have had a few of my Benz email contacts download and install.

I will try to re-prioritize my life, and spend less time planting the garden (organic), mowing the quickly-growing lawn and planting flowers, and more time checking in with my online friends.

Oh, as for the previous question -- Obama/Richardson is my guess. And that is the winning ticket. McCain and I attended the same flight training program in Pensacola (separated by a couple of decades) but my"love" for him ends there.

I wish there was a 3rd alternative but the reality is that there isn't. In the future there will be, but I won't live to see it.

Don
moron
Good to know you're still alive and kicking (although for the life of me I can't figure why...........haaaa! __{{emoticon}}__ ) Hope you have no prophetic powers in the area of politics......but, let's not go there.
Sakasa
Welcome back! I see you are going organic that is a good thing. I think Obama, but you know how things go anyway.

I'm glad you and family are ok.

Best Regards,
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Glad to hear from you dieselbenz __{{emoticon}}__

Going organic is a good idea, voting for Obama ...?
Still, you know where I stand, but as you say a third alternative won't win. Just hope the future is closer than you believe.

You now have antiX-M7.2 VETËVENDOSJE! to try out.

have fun!
dieselbenz
"Going organic" is sort of a misleading term. I was a vegetarian and tried to be organic back in the '70s. Back then, I bought wheat at a health food store then hand-ground into flour to bake our bread.

I am simply returning to how I once was.
dieselbenz
anticapitalista wrote:
You now have antiX-M7.2 VETËVENDOSJE! to try out.

have fun!
Downloaded the 7.2 ISO this afternoon. It is installing on an older HP notebook computer right now, out in the garage (my computer work area). We shall see how it goes.
harii
I have not watch the news lately did any more people get hurt with that one?
Had a few friends that just missed the tornado that killed 8 and help clean it up.
They have some horrorid storm stories form the town people and pics.
four blocks did not have a chance with a class 5 tornado.
dieselbenz
harii wrote:I have not watch the news lately did any more people get hurt with that one?
Six killed. Bad tornado. It missed me by about 100 miles.

But, Thursday night we got 6" of rain (the following storm). We got 16" of water in our basement. I've gotten no more than 4 hours of sleep per night since Friday night, working to clean up from the flood. We had a ten foot by ten foot by 6 foot pile of"stuff" (from the basement) that was hauled away by the trash guys this morning.

My wife estimates $10K worth of damage. I would put it more at $1K -- but I've been married way long enough to disagree with her when it is 99% her stuff. Our house and my garage (including my workbench, my diesel VW, my daughter's car, and occasionally my old diesel Mercedes) have become racks for drying stuff. I came home from work today to find that our entire living room floor (hard wood oak covered by an oriental rug) was covered by old John Travolta albums (wife's, not mine!) drying out.

I am tired. Humidity is at 95%. Temp has finally dropped to 75F. But life is good, I am alive, I am employed, and I am an Obama delegate. __{{emoticon}}__

Don
harii
Everyone i know got water in their basement too.
Too much rain this year .

I tell my mother-in-law (she get water in her basement but there nothing down there.)
It could of been worse--You could of lived in Parkersburg.
I really don't try to be mean to her--really __{{emoticon}}__

I hope you could save most of your family's good stuff ?
Jerry
I have big hopes for Obama, starting with the way he is willing to speak truth to power. Should be an interesting election...
moron
Yeah, I have big hopes for Obama, too, but they don't include the Presidency. What a disaster in the making...IMHO, of course.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Glad to hear you and your family are safe.

10K worth of damage, bad news. But, is your antiX box still ok?! __{{emoticon}}__

I don't think Obama will challenge the powers that be in any way, shape or form, but I'd rather he got elected than Hilary or McCain.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hey, for you Democrats, here is an article you might like to ponder, (from the Left, not from the Right Republican side)

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://leninology.blogspot.com/2008/06/whats-matter-with-west-virginia.html"
linktext was:"http://leninology.blogspot.com/2008/06/ ... ginia.html"
====================================

Added: Note the West Virginia connection, antiX, MEPIS.
Jerry
Thanks for the link. It is actually pretty funny to see him try to picture Obama as a tool of Wall Street, when his campaign is fueled by very many people giving very small amounts, as opposed to HRC's big-money donors. No ideology needed, there are actual facts.

Whatever.
moron
According to this report, Obama has received $7.9 million in contributions from the securities and investment industries

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://uk.reuters.com/article/stocksNews/idUKNOA53525520080605"
linktext was:"http://uk.reuters.com/article/stocksNew ... 5520080605"
====================================