topic title: checkin' in
Jerry
Thought my comment might wake you up, Moron! Of course Obama receives such money--he is no different in that department that Mc or HRC. Where he is different is in the lack of PAC money and the number of small contributors, i.e., the extended lower-end tail of the curve. As a party-neutral site puts it based on the latest (April) FEC data:"In 2008 he's been raising more than $1 million a day, largely thanks to small online donors." (
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://tinyurl.com/4qwp67"
linktext was:"http://tinyurl.com/4qwp67"
====================================
)

Moron: what did you think of Mc's speech on Tuesday night?
moron
Hello Jerry,
McCain is not my man, either, but he will get my vote ----the lesser of two evils, I think.

One thing to consider: some companies (such as oil companies) are forbidden by law to make campaign contributions to federal candidates. Therefore, they simply funnel the money through individuals who make the actual contribution of record. The corporations still get their leverage and the politicians still get the corporate money but it appears as though it comes from individual donors. It is a dishonest practice, I think, but one that has been"accepted" for quite some time.

I have been dismayed with the US political scene for the last several elections. There has been no one I really supported since Reagan. I just vote for the one I feel will do the least amount of damage. That's not the way it should be, but it is the way it is. At any rate, the people will choose and we will all live with it"for better or worse," to borrow a phrase. If nothing else, it is interesting.

Regards
Mac
Jerry
Big money rules here, there is not much doubt about that--and it can get around the law a million ways.

I personally don't care whether we have Dem or a Repub, I just want good government. And after the dismal last 8 years, I want to make sure that those policies are not continued.

Hey anti--did you feel that earthquake?
dieselbenz
anticapitalista wrote:Hey, for you Democrats, here is an article you might like to ponder, (from the Left, not from the Right Republican side)

Added: Note the West Virginia connection, antiX, MEPIS.
Ironically, I was born and reared 20 miles south of Morgantown (home of Mepis), in Fairmont. Born 1952, high school class of 1970. Then out of state for university and never really went back.

The article overlooks the obvious -- the reason Clinton scored big in West Virginia was in large part to the color of her skin and the color of his skin.

As for the earlier Republican victories, that can be tied more to religion than to anything else. West Virginia folks are extremely conservative when it comes to religion, and if someone can tap into that then they have a vote.

I was around for JFK's election. One reason he won West Virginia was because of the high percentage of Catholics there -- mostly Italian coal miners. Also lots of Welsh (my bloodline) but not enough to make a difference either way. The Welsh probably voted along with the Catholics since they were good friends, co-workers and all.

And then there was the decline of the United Mine Workers union but that is a whole different thread.