nt351
checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X libraries. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!
k7@antix:kdebase-3.5.10$

Code: Select all

checking for png_read_info in -lpng... yes
checking png.h usability... no
checking png.h presence... no
checking for png.h... no
configure: error:"png.h not found"
k7@antix:xfe-0.88$ 
Where are the X libraries ?
Where should I put png.h for ./configure to find it ?
-------
Can GnomeBaker make bootable DVDs ? (if yes, how?)
nt351
Since I don't seem to be able to compile anything (not even claws-mail which comes with AntiX) what if I remove gcc, python, qt4 ?
prox
Hi,

As far as I can see you have a plain vanilla Antix Install and want to compile software.
I suspect you don't know that you have to install the -dev packages from the libraries you need.
You can do that in synaptic or with apt-get from terminal. I cannot tell you which packages you need, but in example libX11-dev as well as libpng-dev are probably with them. To whatever source package you want to install, there should be a README in its base directory listing what the dependencies are. I figure the package build-essential you have installed already.
As long as you don't have an alternative compiler removing gcc will just prevent you from compiling at all.
I guess removing python is a really bad choice, since i would anticipate A LOT of programs depend on it and will be removed with it. Removing qt4 just destroys your KDE.
BTW: The correct path for png.h is /usr/include/ but actually the system is taking care of these folders for good reasons. I don't think you should shift files around in there. png.h comes from libpng-dev mentioned above, so if you install libpng-dev, a png.h will be placed in your /usr/include/.

About Gnomebaker; As long as you burn a bootable image, it will be bootable. Creating a bootable DVD from scratch meaning adding files yourself, i would do that by creating a bootable image. For that endless tutorials float around on the net.

What software do you actually want to install? Are you sure it is neither in the Mepis or Debian Repositories?
nt351
I installed the full version of AntiX 8.2, comes with gcc; so -- I guess naively -- I thought I could compile (Slax is a much smaller download and I can compile without having to add anything, Wolvix also). If gcc cannot perform, might as well not take up space.

Qt 4 has no relation to my KDE, I use libqt-mt.so.3.3.6; and since AntiX has screencapture utility, don't need to rely on ksnapshot, only the occasional k3b.

I don't really compile ware, tgz. or .rpm packages do fine for me. Since AntiX comes with gcc I thought I give it a try (without having to boot machine from Slax stick). As you saw above I tried KDE and XFE; also Sylpheed, Claws-mail, gPicView, IsoMaster, xArchiver (Slax and Wolvix compiled without looking for excuses; and they work on AntiX)

GnomeBaker:
Where is the option in GnomeBaker to pick an image file for boot ?
(but GnomeBaker is good at making .iso images of CDs)
prox
Hi there,

Uhmm...

1. My KDE has qt dependencies. As i don't know what kde you use i cannot tell if yours is going to miss qt4 or not. (though i suspect if you installed kde from the repo itll use qt3)
2. Why would you remove gcc? I mean really, you have kde installed and some other stuff and worry about the space gcc takes?
3. To my experience the contents of a tgz is usually source which is is build by make which itself uses usually gcc for compiling.
4. You realize Antix is a Debian type, so rpm's are possible with alien but you should prefer debs in the repository.
5. About gnomebaker, there should be a menu titled"tools" below the titlebar in which there are image burning dialogs.
6. You really got to explain again the SLAX//Wolvix stuff i am totally missing what you are trying to achieve.

Greetz
eriefisher
For compiling the first thing you need is build-essential. This will bring in what you need to build. You will also need various -dev packages. These are the headers for building against. These will depend on what your trying to build. When you ./configure the error messages will hint to what -devs you need.

The problem with compiling is you could be chasing packages you will only need once. It's best to stay with binary .debs. If compiling is a must then I would use checkinstall instead of makeinstall so a deb is created. This way it can be easily removed or upgraded through normal repos.
nt351
prox wrote:2. Why would you remove gcc? I mean really, you have kde installed and some other stuff and worry about the space gcc takes?
You have a point there.

I have KDE 3.x in an other partition, just put a symlink to it in /opt

prox
Please clarify: You have KDE installed bare handed on to some partition other than your root, and put a symlink on it into opt; to what end?

If this is about removing qt4, start synaptic, seek qt4, if it is listed installed there mark it for removal and press apply, synaptic will tell you if something is going to break if you proceed. If synaptic doesn't list it as installed your Antix gives a **** if you delete it or not. Same goes for KDE.
Though if you have it installed on another partition on which is the root of another distro, deleting KDE there will screw that /root up.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
nt351, as much as possible, avoid compiling.

Use the Debian repos (over 20,000 apps) and no worries about libs.
nt351
I do avoid compiling (since I don't know programming); tried it for entertainment purposes (mainly); the only thing I really compiled was XFE to change the icons

Yes, I bare-handed copied --prefix=/opt/kde compiled (by somebody else) KDE onto sda3 and put a symlink to it; perhaps, because I have too much time, or to use k3b when needed. (this thread started because I wanted to compile, for no particular reason, KDE 3.5.10 --prefix=/opt/kde)

[One time I also isolated -- through trial and error -- the files needed for ksnapshot to work, came down to 11mb]

The question regarding Q4 would have been, is it needed for decoration or anything ? I use Opera, but it is also happy with libqt-mt.so.3.3.6; my window manager is IceWm

Any http link to those repos ? I like the download-unpack-copy method of installing
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Well xfe is in the Debian repos.
Also for a fresh antiX-M8.2 install with only the stable repos enabled, you could get a kde 3.5 desktop via apt-get or via the meta-installer app included in antiX.

Q4 is needed for the installer and MEPIS tools used in antiX. If you don't want them you can remove them via apt-get purge.

I have a question to you.

What are you trying to achieve on your antiX install? To lighten it by removing unnecessary apps? And/or include other desktop environments?
Let us know and we can advise (if you need it)
prox
I totally agree with anti.

Tell us in detail what you want to achieve and we will try to help you. And speaking bluntly, from what i gathered, whatever you try seems without rhyme or reason.

And from what you wrote in your last post, you need to get some basics straight first:

A repository you access with some adequate packet management suite such as SYNAPTIC, which comes with AntiX (it is in the control center, named"Manage Packages"), is one. If you for what reason whatsoever you want to check a repository out with your webbrowser you can do that (why?), by copying the repository sources from /etc/apt/sources.list or from the packet sources dialog inside SYNAPTIC. With SYNAPTIC you can seek, install, update and remove packages.
Again with SYNAPTIC try to remove qt4 and SYNAPTIC will tell you if your AntiX has to remove other packages that have qt4 as a dependency.
If you prefer the terminal use"apt-get", the manpages"man apt-get" will tell you what you can do how.

I really don't get the /opt part you are talking about. Sorry.

Greetz
nt351

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post14029.html#p14029"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post14029.html#p14029"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
anticapitalista wrote:What are you trying to achieve on your antiX install?
I think I already achieved what I wanted: to upgrade to AntiX.
Made some adjustments, added the programs I use (they all work fine)

This was just a question"where are the X libraries" they used to be in X11-devel; got the idea in my head that since now I have gcc on the hard-drive, I compile KDE 3.5.1 --prefix=/opt/kde; turned out, AntiX doesn't compile; it matters not (as I mentioned before, for compiling purposes I keep a Slax stick). I don't use KDE as desktop

re: /opt
KDE used to be compiled to use its own directory in /opt; I prefer that to being mixed in with the rest in /usr
teresaejunior
in debian there are no devel packages. but -dev. You must be looking for libx11-dev
nt351
You failed to include the link