dolphin_oracle
if you can already boot from usb, you don't need the floppy. the floppy allows you to boot from pc's that don't support usb boots in their bios.
Bryn_J
Ahhh OK I'll have a look at it tomorrow my brain is mush now __{{emoticon}}__
Bryn_J
Inspiration struck.... With some thanks to something I got on a Mepis forum

So i just ran the antiX installer pointed it to the 2GB flash.... Installed grub to flash too.... edited menu.lst so it looked at the UUID rather than /dev/sdx....

And away we go.... __{{emoticon}}__

Thing is I have a new HDD coming in a few days but ummm its a really useful thing to have.... I can now carry my OS in my pocket....

I can't see any problem with doing it this way but if anyone has any comment Ill take it on board __{{emoticon}}__

Thanks all
dolphin_oracle
Thanks for sharing your solution. I'm going to try that with my liveusb and see if that helps usb1.1 systems boot. one caveat to your os in your pocket. You may find if you boot your 2gb flash on a different computer X won't start without being reconfigured for the new machine. It should work fine on the machine you used for the install.
Bryn_J
Oh yeah.... I had to change menu.lst a bit more -
root (hd3,0)
to
root (hd0,0)

Does anyone know how this field is defined?, my guess is something like - In the BIOS I set the SD card as first option for boot therefore it is now hd0.... But it's a guesstimate....
dolphin_oracle
grub tends to look at whatever bootable drive it boots from as hd0
terraport
I have got this problem too. I have tried both 8.5 and 8.2 with the same result, can't find the file system. I have tried every combination I can think of but crash and burn every time (from iso, not from iso, with delay and so on)

What is the solution? Why is this so hard???
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Post your /boot/grub/menu.lst and give some details of your hardware.
terraport
anticapitalista wrote:Post your /boot/grub/menu.lst and give some details of your hardware.
Based on my reading of this thread and the multiple other complaints that I have seen on the same subject that never get resolved, I think there is a culture of denial going on here. I believe there is an underlying problem with the way antix starts up but I will be happy if you show me I am wrong and successfully help me.

title AntiX
kernel (hd0,0)/antix/vmlinuz vga=791 fromhd=/dev/sda1 fromiso=/antix/antiX-M8.5-686.iso rootdelay=20 en xres=1024x768
initrd (hd0,0)/antix/initrd.gz

I have tried with and without fromhd, rootdelay and fromiso and with the extracted file system.

I am trying to boot from a USB hard disk. I have tried a number of laptops including HP NC6230, Compaq N610c.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What is the partition formatted to? For antiX to work it needs to be ext3, ext4, ext2 or fat32 (this has sometimes failed on my box).

What do you think is the underlying problem?
terraport
anticapitalista wrote:What is the partition formatted to? For antiX to work it needs to be ext3, ext4, ext2 or fat32 (this has sometimes failed on my box).
Fat32.
What do you think is the underlying problem?
If I knew then I would report it so it could be fixed. There are too many people reporting that the file system is not found. It shouldn't be that difficult. Also does it recognise USB Hard Disks, I can't see any mention when it boots up?
Last edited by terraport on 04 Oct 2010, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What have you formatted the drive to? My usb hard drive is able to boot fromiso with ext2, ext3, ext4 and sometimes fat.

You also need grub installed to MBR of the usb drive.
terraport
anticapitalista wrote:What have you formatted the drive to? My usb hard drive is able to boot fromiso with ext2, ext3, ext4 and sometimes fat.
I have tried external usb hard drive formatted to fat32 and usb flash drives formatted to ext2 and fat32. I have also tried with the file system extracted from the iso. When looking at the start messages it does not mention any usb devices attached.
You also need grub installed to MBR of the usb drive.
Yes and I booted from the drive.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
A few more ideas.

Have you tried making the rootdelay longer than 20 secs?

Try this: (ie add boot)

title AntiX
kernel (hd0,0)/antix/vmlinuz vga=791 fromiso=/antix/antiX-M8.5-686.iso rootdelay=20 en xres=1024x768
boot

Alternatively, if you have extracted the antiX file, have this:

title AntiX
kernel (hd0,0)/antix/vmlinuz image_dir=antix image_name=antiX vga=791
boot

Also check that /boot/grub/device.map shows all the partitions.
terraport
anticapitalista wrote:A few more ideas.

Have you tried making the rootdelay longer than 20 secs?
Yeah, I tried 30 secs. I assume there is no point going still higher. Is there any reason why it is not detecting attached USB devices? Grub starts okay an other distros are able to find the file system okay.
Try this: (ie add boot)
Yes it was there.
Alternatively, if you have extracted the antiX file, have this:

title AntiX
kernel (hd0,0)/antix/vmlinuz image_dir=antix image_name=antiX vga=791
boot
Those two parameters I didn't try. I'll do that later.
Also check that /boot/grub/device.map shows all the partitions.
I'm not familiar with this but note that grub itself recognises the USB partitions correctly and starts vmlinuz from the USB partition correctly.