TonyVanDam
So far, I'm OK as well as my laptop. I only upgrade instead of dist-upgrade. I notice that rpcbind is depended on libsystemd0.

EDIT: correct info.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You could remove rpcbind. I don't think it us that useful
TonyVanDam
rpcbind has been purged. Everything great!
DeepDayze
I am running Sid based AntiX and rpcbind works here along with libsystemd0. It is recommended you do dist-upgrade when you are running AntiX that's pointing to Sid repos as apt-get upgrade eventually breaks things.
TonyVanDam
Remember, I'm trying to stay away from everything systemd related.
DeepDayze
TonyVanDam wrote:Remember, I'm trying to stay away from everything systemd related.
If you running Sid it sure is hard to avoid systemd. I do wish Debian offered packages that aren't built with systemd as a dependency. Sysvinit is as oldschool as it goes __{{emoticon}}__
TonyVanDam
DeepDayze wrote:
TonyVanDam wrote:Remember, I'm trying to stay away from everything systemd related.
If you running Sid it sure is hard to avoid systemd. I do wish Debian offered packages that aren't built with systemd as a dependency. Sysvinit is as oldschool as it goes __{{emoticon}}__
1. I stay away from everything KDE related and most thing GNOME related. It's pretty easy for me to do thus far since my favorite WMs are IceWM & Fluxbox.

2. The moment systemd becomes more difficult to avoid right before dist-upgrading, that is when I stopped updating.

And I'm dead serious about #2. I don't not want to have anything to do with a package that is seeking to be install against my wishes, hence why I cannot used most Debian-based distro anymore. Any of my current softwares and/or packages that starts to depend on systemd in future versions, I will purge it in the heartbeat.
eric52
Is it just systemd's take-over arrogance that bothers you, or does it actually do something wrong that violates user sanctity? I stick with sysvinit because all the negative reactions to systemd make me suspicious, but I don't actually KNOW of anything more than an implicit attitude problem.
skidoo
does it actually do something wrong that violates user sanctity?
If we rephrase"user sanctity" as"the sanctity of user's freedom of choice"
the central issue is succinctly described (not by me) within comment #45 on this linked page

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20150713&mode=68"
linktext was:"http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 13&mode=68"
====================================
eric52
Ah, so it's a Borg thing. Thanks skidoo, I get the drift.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX-15 is totally free of systemd and it can also use eudev (rather than the systemd-udev). I'm using eudev on my antiX-sid without issues. I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
eric52
I get the distinct impression that this is an issue of more than symbolic importance. Sorry for my ignorance of the positions involved, but I have not felt comfortable venturing into Debian sites. Conflicts, arguments, disparaging remarks, etc. are not attractive or inspiring to me. Apparently, there are several viable alternatives to systemd with adherents strongly behind them, so freedom of choice will continue. I think I understand why proponents of systemd want to establish a single standard, but efficiency isn't the only valid criterion of judgement. Diversity also has strengths. It is not surprising that there is a lack of agreement on this issue.
TonyVanDam
eric52 wrote:Is it just systemd's take-over arrogance that bothers you, or does it actually do something wrong that violates user sanctity? I stick with sysvinit because all the negative reactions to systemd make me suspicious, but I don't actually KNOW of anything more than an implicit attitude problem.
My professional reason for dislike systemd is because I do NOT like the idea of a package being automatically installed during a d-u. The very least that a distro like Debian should have done is to have systemd available as optional for the user instead of making it mandatory like distros Fedora & Red Hat have been doing.

I prefer to stick with sysvinit simple because there was never anything wrong with it in either of my computers to begin with.
Last edited by TonyVanDam on 09 Dec 2015, 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
eric52
To quote Frank Zappa:"Without deviation progress is not possible."
DeepDayze
Looks like Xorg in Sid now has libsystemd0 as a dependency thus pulling in systemd...