Sakasa
How can a U.S ViceP says or do this things and is it a next Plan?

Here is the link:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/everybodyscolumn/story/316853.html"
linktext was:"http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/ever ... 16853.html"
====================================
malanrich
The tricky thing about presidential (or even vice-presidential)"arrogance" is that it cuts both ways. An arrogant president is a villain when he disregards the will of 3/4 of Americans on Iraq. But an arrogant president is a hero when he disregards the will of 3/4 of Americans who at one time thought racial segregation was a pretty good idea.

Generally, presidents (or legislators at any level) seem to cause more problems when they think--or claim--they are following the will of the majority of Americans. Frankly, I'm skeptical of whether anyone really knows what the will of the majority is. Polling data is notoriously unreliable. And the *great* danger is when a president does what he wants by using the excuse of"following the will of the majority."

I know it's hard to accept in this case of nuclear confrontation with Iran, but in the long run it's better to have a president who acts because he thinks it's the best thing to do, not because he's a mere puppet of polling data. In reality, few presidents are actual puppets in that sense--but they can pretend to be in order to conceal their actual motives. It's a bad practice all the way around.

Concerning a surprise nuclear attack on Iran, I think this really, really over-estimates the president's power to act in such an independent and arbitrary manner. I suppose it's somehow possible, but the unlikeliness is staggeringly huge. We'll always have presidents who commit acts we dislike and despise. The article linked to here, however, wants there to be some mechanism for immediately disrupting a president's behavior. But if we had such a thing, it would create a nightmare of partisan tit-for-tat. The impeachment process does work. And its slowness and difficulty is a good thing. It only works when people really study the issue and strongly fight to have a president brought to account. It forces us to get to work. It happens.

In the end, I think you can relax, Sakasa. The article seems very alarmist to me. If I'm wrong and I wake up to a nuclear holocaust tomorrow, I'll be the first to apologize.
Sakasa
malanrich wrote:I'll be the first to apologize.
Malanrich If I was to vote, it would it only be for you. It is amazing that we had a similar situation attitudes with Irak and a slight modification of it, now with Iran. Very similar mechanism use from all over the media. This to me is like a slap on the face, a unrespectable imagination of the American population intelligence..

It is a tell or repeat it all the time until they believe us. Is exact like the sound of a song at first your head tells you I don't like it, but you continue listening to it until you begin to think that it does sounds good, that it is true or could be. The days ahead are not very convincing, I myself is working hard not to fall into the instrumental mechanism, delivery made for us, to be use. I do love the world, the people, the planet, the universe..., and as far I know it is inner peace should be the priority of humanity. Inner peace will only be attain through the realization of not allowing anyone, system or anything to intefere with it . Inner peace is destroy when we allow a creating image in our mind, hate, envy, ignorance,selfishness etc... All humanity is confuse one way of the other, until each of us don't try to make a honest inner evaluation of who we really are, what we allow, how we balance the good or the bad, what do we accept into our minds, what noble motives we have, what do we really do for others, why are we are here for, where do I allow my heart to be,where my eyes are looking etc... then whatever happens in the road ahead will be our only fault. You are a great person and a great thinker. I know you do your own inner evaluations and it is the way to the only real change to a better world. A world that does not need duality. competition, conflicts, violence, coming from created systems which has force humanity to believe in competition, hate, differences, etc.. and these systems have created the destructive mind that has also destroy the individual sacred inner peace by sacrificing does that believe in these. The caring of human suffering must be and should be the priority of any government, not the annihilation of it, and less, the same creation of the inevitable self destruction of the system.

Excellent view from your part. You know my grammar is not to good but I hope you understand. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Last edited by Sakasa on 07 Apr 2008, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
malanrich
malanrich
It's not the grammar that challenges the reader of your messages, it's the profound simplicity of your thought. I have to process it slowly before the meaning suddenly bursts out. This is a good thing...
Sakasa
malanrich wrote:It's not the grammar that challenges the reader of your messages, it's the profound simplicity of your thought. I have to process it slowly before the meaning suddenly bursts out. This is a good thing...
Observe the mind, is the road that opens the door of the entering darkness, where ignorance claims it to be the I am.

This is a special thought where I have found to be a past problem of me and I want it to share with you.

Best wishes!
moron
moron
Something is wrong with our democracy...
The USA is not a democracy. It is a republic.
War should not be possible without the approval of Congress...
It does, indeed, take Congress to declare war. And even though
undeclared in the traditional sense, Congress did overwhelmingly approve the military action in Iraq.
The impeachment process is not working.
To what impeachment does the author refer? It has not been implemented since the Clinton administration. But you're right, it didn't work then.
Our Constitution has been sabotaged
In what way?
We......have discovered that our democracy is flawed.
What form of government isn't?
In a democracy, our elected leaders are supposed to be answerable to the people.
Again, the USA is not a democracy (majority rules) but a democratic republic (representative). And our leaders are held accountable. It's called an election.
They have drawn up plans for a nuclear strike on Iran
Common procedure. The US military brain-trust has strike plans vs practically every potential foe. Other nations have such plans vs the USA. It's called being prepared.
When told that two-thirds of the country is against the war in Iraq, Vice President Cheney said, “so.” When asked if he cares what the American people think, he stated that he didn’t care.
What was the context in which these remarks were made, if at all? Had you rather have a leader who dares to lead or one who is blown to and fro by whatever the current polls suggest?

What I see in the article is one man's opinion based on emotional responses to unsubstantiated (or at least unsupported) allegations. Nothing more. He, of course, is entitled to his opinion. It's guaranteed by the very constitution he claims to be sabotaged.
malanrich
Ouch, moron, you hit hard.

The more I look at the article the more it seems like a letter to the editor--perhaps an understandable expression of a reader's emotion but not something claiming to adhere to journalistic principles. But the subject of Iraq is so polarizing that no one can really tell what passes for sound thinking...
moron
malanrich wrote:... the subject of Iraq is so polarizing that no one can really tell what passes for sound thinking...
You are right, or course.
Sakasa
Here is my Point: here is what the Vice P said:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://thinkprogress.org/2008/03/19/cheney-poll-iraq/"
linktext was:"http://thinkprogress.org/2008/03/19/cheney-poll-iraq/"
====================================

All he had to said is that I do respect the American public opnion I thought or I think is necessary ....

This way he will show respect as a ViceP.

I can't feel respect for those people involve in arm raise, or sales, making money out the suffering of people, families etc... Regarding Iran situation, where was the WMD arms in Irak and why would I believe that Iran has similar. Regarding about his work and resposabilities as a ViceP, has not shown to be very beneficial for the American public in any way. Thanks to the president and vice-president and the congress more than 655.000 people has been kill, children, grandparents, mothers, fathers. etc...because of the war, including our fellow Americans. The suffering of their families is something that no one should ever wish for no one. I do myself have a brother in Irak I know how it feels.

I believe you don't go to a war against a country without reealizing first the ouitcome destruction of the suppose enemy country and yours also. The questions is? is it worth to go into a war not completly sure about what is it, that you are going to do, against another country and all is because a small group of deliquents, criminals, created a chaos or what ever you want to call it. As far as my concern the vision of these two leaders and the support of the congress have shown to be a very unresponsible. We, as American must prove that if we want to lead the world, we must have greater consciousness of our real need and the need of the world we can't separate the need of the world from our own needs. It is a solution that humanity must seek, but if it is in duality, then any real solution will not work, because the possible solutions that we may come out with is only a solution that has been modificated but it is not the real one, because we are all in conlict..

The solution is always going to be without war, killing is never done for a noble cause.. This is an example:
I can't blow up or destroy a whole city because one person or a few. This is how I feel about this situation.
Xenos Katawin
Being an American in Greece, I normally stay out of these discussions, but...
The questions is? is it worth to go into a war not completly sure about what is it, that you are going to do, against another country and all is because a small group of deliquents, criminals, created a chaos or what ever you want to call it.
This is a very spurious argument. A small organized group of delinquents poisoned an entire country- Germany. Another small group of delinquents launced an imperialist attack aqainst a democratic republic- Japan.

An ounce of prevention is worth 4 years of world war or"We've got to nip it, nip it in the bud." (Barney Fife)

Basically I suggest you visit some of the refuge camps for victims of Hussein (I have) and see if you can't tell the difference between the US and Iraq.
Xenos Katawin
Sakasa,

I apologize. I didn't read your posts carefully enough. I read about your brother in Iraq after I had posted my first reply.

I feel great empathy and sorrow for Iraq. I have visited an organization which was caring for women and children who had escaped from Iraq in the first days of the war. I still see the injuries these people had suffered from torture in the Hussein regime when I sleep. There is NO justification for a government to treat its citizens in this manner.

My anger comes from the fact that these practices were allowed to continue for so long. My anger is fueled with the realization that these things would still be going on if there had not been a war. In a perfect world there would be no need for war. Unfortunately, people are not perfect.
Sakasa
Xenos Katawin wrote:Being an American in Greece, I normally stay out of these discussions, but...
The questions is? is it worth to go into a war not completly sure about what is it, that you are going to do, against another country and all is because a small group of deliquents, criminals, created a chaos or what ever you want to call it.
This is a very spurious argument. A small organized group of delinquents poisoned an entire country- Germany. Another small group of delinquents launced an imperialist attack aqainst a democratic republic- Japan.

An ounce of prevention is worth 4 years of world war or"We've got to nip it, nip it in the bud." (Barney Fife)

Basically I suggest you visit some of the refuge camps for victims of Hussein (I have) and see if you can't tell the difference between the US and Iraq.
I lived it through it with My father, that he was a political prisoner and he was torture in concentration camps, I know what it is.

War Over and over has proven and continues to be a killing instrument, the suffering, the destruction etc...War or violance does not fix any situation it prolonges the suffering of people and countries. I am not going to fallow neither support this never ending violance. I think the U.S as world leader must give the good example that you and I wish to have in my neighboorhood, country and iin the world. Arms are to all be destroy, because if anyone has it, one day he may think of using it. But if a person does not have it or find it could he use it?

If we have enemies is because the world is separated, divided through country, flags, race, religions, systems,level of classes, etc...Until we all don't realize that we should strive to change this attitude or way of thinking we will always have this kind of conlicts. The materialist, the ego, the individuality the competitive, the classes etc...is something that every goverment must work on with it's own people. We have a United Nations that is also confuse do to theindividualist idea. The Earth is a paradise that human egoism which comes from the individualism idea is the primary cause of the total disaster.
Sakasa
Xenos Katawin wrote:Sakasa,

I apologize. In a perfect world there would be no need for war. Unfortunately, people are not perfect.
Thank you very much to take the time. You are a person that I must admit to have to admire do to the experience of your vision and your effort to see the other side. In conflicts neither side is right, there is a conflict. With all respect towards you I will like to emphasy on the Perfection. Perfection will never be achieved if we live and believe through the mental process. The mental process judges and condemns everything and gives it a name. The name given becomes an experience and is that experience that limits the mind to percieve the spontaneous truth of any present, do to the created past condition pattern of it's own vision, dividing itself from others mind. Truth or perfection could never be caught by the human mind because we have condition of the mind, When humanity understands that the Ego is the cause of all suffering then the Ego could be eliminated or modified itself to be none individualist, none limited, then the world will be view through humanity in a different form with real Love, perceptive truth, becuse there is total freedom, because it is not longer in the celbars of the mind. It is to understand that the only one concept that we are is that we are all one and the same. There is only one Earth for all of us, one home, one place.

Thank you again great person!

This a view on your writings.
moron
I am a Veteran. I know what war is and have experienced, first hand, what many (in hindsight) have called an unjust war. No one in their right mind wants war and, IMHO, it should always be the last alternative. However, it is also MHO that war is sometimes a necessary evil. There are some things worth fighting for. There are some things worth dying for. There are some things worse than death.

Should the US be in Iraq? Sound argument could be tendered for either side of that debate. At the end of the day, however, it is really a moot issue. The fact is we are there. Should we have gone in the first place? Depends on who you ask, I suppose. Those freed from the sufferings of brutality, torture, oppression, slavery and the like would probably answer with a resounding"yes."

I must confess that the whole idea of preemptive strikes is a bit unsettling. I'm not sure where this will lead us as a nation.

As for the WMDs and / or other"reasons" for the invasion of Iraq, I must admit that I am ignorant. So is the vast majority of the rest of the world. I do not know what evidence top -level US government officials had to consider. Whatever was before them, Congress almost unanimously approved the military action as did several other countries around the world. I would prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Urban
Life is a bitch. Every country and person is out for what will get them the farthest ahead. War between nations and people will never cease to exist as long as there are finite resources. Welcome to life.

The question is are you prepared to defend yourself against the others willing to do anything, even kill you if they have to, to get ahead?

Technology is changing and quickly to increase the killing power of man. One day a person will walk into a city with a nuclear or biological weapon and that city will cease to be. How do you stop that?

Time for a Mars colony. It could function as a"back up" for the human species.

By the way death does solve problems. In the end someone dies and the problem no longer exists because one party is dead.