anticapitalista
Site Admin
Here is the third test release of antiX-M8 before a public release candidate.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

*2.6.27-5 MEPIS kernel with tg3 removed (to allow for smooth upgrade)
*Apps upgraded as to 04 December 2008.
*'cleaned up' meta-installer packages
*new eco-green theme
*extra icewm themes added
*added eco-green fluxbox theme
*some extra wallpaper
*extra themes
*icewm and fluxbox menus automatically 'remove' the install option on install,
*firehol firewall added to antiX control centre (not set by default)
*absvolume in icewm
*slim theme conf file added to antiX control centre
*midnight commander F keys fixed
*better fonts for MEPIS installer

Please post comments, bugs here.

Edit: xdelta patch (test2-test3) available from same site (c45MB).
See
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Xdelta"
linktext was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Xdelta"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Once installed you will notice that a new MEPIS kernel is available. You should upgrade to this kernel (if you wish). The reason why this kernel is not used in this test release is because grub install doesn't work (yet). Once you have test3 installed, then there is no need to install grub again so upgrading the kernel is recommended.

This should be the last 'internal' test release.

Please post suggestions for meta-packages eg extra languages and the apps needed.
masinick
Great, anti! I will try to get to this as soon as I can. Time is limited tonight, but I may at least be able to download and save the ISO image. If more time opens up, I will attempt to try it out.
plvera
Anti, I'll install it tonight in my old laptop and give it a whirl. I'll post what I find out.

Pedro
masinick
Downloading at this very moment, nearly done. Might get just a moment to peek at it, but really won't get to give it a good run until at least Friday night or this weekend.
masinick
masinick wrote:Downloading at this very moment, nearly done. Might get just a moment to peek at it, but really won't get to give it a good run until at least Friday night or this weekend.
Done downloading, now to give it just a quick try... much more later!
masinick
masinick wrote:
masinick wrote:Downloading at this very moment, nearly done. Might get just a moment to peek at it, but really won't get to give it a good run until at least Friday night or this weekend.
Done downloading, now to give it just a quick try... much more later!
Sorry to say this one will not boot live on my"challenging" Gateway PA6a, whereas Test 2 ran live there AND installed on that same box. Will try elsewhere, but it looks like maybe a simple mistake in the script... seems to be saying something about /dev/hda as the CD ISO device, which normally would not be the case. In any case, decompression fails, then the /root/.bashrc file cannot be found, got can /bin/egrep... bad inittab entries, etc. which all seem to point to some simple typo that affects everything after it. Is there a mistake in the installation script?
OU812
1. Cli apps now correctly launch in icewm (start > applications).

2. There are some issues with the icewm menu:
a. multimedia > audio > mixer launches alsamixer instead of aumix.
b. the gentoo link is dead (help > icewm > gentoo wiki) this affects the fluxbox menu entry as well.
Both of these issues should be fixed in the next release (I sent anti my updated icewm menu). Also, I edited the submenu system > tools a little bit to make it more user-friendly (this is also fixed in the updated menu that I sent).

3. The default wallpaper for icewm should be"sacred-greenlife." You may need to edit the file ~/.config/nitrogen/bg-saved-icewm.cfg by hand:

Code: Select all

[:0.0]
file=/home/demo/Wallpaper/Sacred_greenlife.jpg
mode=0
bgcolor=# 0 0 0
4. I turned on firehol using the control center. I then launched"choose startup services" from the system tab. The firehol entry was checked. Was this turned on by default? Or by starting firehol from the control center?

5. You included the 3eNight theme for icewm? I have an antix version of it that you might be interested in. I also have a glassy version of it that you may be interested in as well. I'll send them to anti hopefully by the end of the weekend.

This release is smackin'. I can't wait to test it out on my laptop. My fingers are crossed that the new kernel recognized my intel wireless card.

Peace Out.

john
masinick
Hmm, if this worked for John, maybe my"burn" was only partially successful. Will do some more experimenting tomorrow.
dark-D
i think aumix isn't installed. that's why there is alsamixer in both icewm and fluxbox menus.

edit:i noticed this after i changed antix to unstable so i don't know if it;s because of different version of nitrogen or is a bug in antix. if i choose the new themes for icewm the wallpapers when they change there centered not stretch so they don't cover all the desktop.
OU812
afaik, anti removed aumix, then decided to include it. Last I heard it was included, but I forgot to check.

As for the walls, icewm isn't that powerful when it comes to displaying walls. It's basically centered or maybe tiled. That's about it. Could be the walls are too small for your screen and icewm doesn't have a scale option. The reason the walls are there are to provide a suggested desktop theme. So if you like it, you may want to set the wall using nitrogen.

john

sorry about the possible bad burn. I used my 7.5 install to burn it using gnomebaker at 4x.
masinick
OU812 wrote:
sorry about the possible bad burn. I used my 7.5 install to burn it using gnomebaker at 4x.
I burned mine from xfburn on the Gateway PA6A, which is my fastest system. It may have burned too fast, so what I am going to do first is check out the CD on a couple of my systems to see if the problems are confined to the Gateway box, then I may also try out the Delta patch and maybe one of the other update options as well. Certainly over the next several weeks I would like to explore many of the different combinations to get good test coverage of them. Initially that will help me debug my own issue, but it will also improve our overall QA coverage.
dark-D
for the firewall at boot i get this message: * Firewal disabled via /etc/default/firehol so i guess, john, you started it from the control center. i'll start it to see if it starts on my machine as well.

edit: started the firewall the boot message is still the same but the net stopped working, so i don't play with it no more. it had taken me 10 min to make the net work again. including several firewall stops, reboots, disable it from startup and i was about to reinstall antix. bad firewall bad __{{emoticon}}__
i couldn't reproduce the thing again but now i have 2 mesages with * Firewal disabled via /etc/default/firehol .

suggestion: in firehol menu should it close after selecting an option?

also i don't want to be annoying, but __{{emoticon}}__ , /usr/share/mybashburn is still there

thanks.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Reply to OU812.

2 and 3 now fixed.
4. It shows up as being 'run' in start up services (sysvinit) along with other scripts, but in reality it hasn;t been enabled.
5. Send me your themes, please.

ICE-M

I have finally removed /usr/share/mybashburn folder __{{emoticon}}__
aumix is installed.

masinick

It sounds like a bad burn to me. I had the same on an old DELL laptop. I reburnt at very slow speed and was able to boot the cd. (fromiso worked as well)
masinick
I will try a fresh burn tonight. In fact, I will download it on a much slower box, the Dell Dimension 4100. I rarely get bad burns there - that system, a 996 MHz unit, can't drive 'em fast enough! __{{emoticon}}__ That old 4100 is also a GREAT desktop box from which to run antiX with IceWM or Fluxbox too!

Will try several boxes this weekend if at all possible and give you some feedback at various points along the way. Assuming that my issues were merely a bad burn, I expect this build to be even better because I was already highly impressed with Test 2. I do also hope to try out the Delta changes and possibly even an upgrade script, but I will focus first on the ISO image testing.
dark-D
suggestion: how about skins for xmms and mplayer to match the green look of antiX 8?