masinick

06 Dec 2008, 00:03 #16

All is well now for me. Great software. I will bang on it this weekend, install it on different hardware and see how it behaves. But based on Test 1 and Test 2, it already meets routine criteria. I will have to get more picky with my testing so we can make this as good as we possibly can.

Great work so far anti, John, erie, and whomever has helped with the details so far!
OU812
@Anti
I will email you my two versions of 3eNight: one with new icons (from SimplyBlack and Impuwat) and one with new icons (from dark t and elox) and a glassy look. The murrina gtk2 themes go well with these themes. But maybe the stripey versions I like a bit more than the glassy versions.

Also, I noticed that the murrinacandy theme has a stripey menu instead of a glassy menu. I'm sending you my glassy menu version. If you're interested, I can also send you stripey versions of the other themes.

@ice-m
Erie made the same suggestion. In fact, he made a post with a suggested skin. Great minds think alike.
I have also combed customize.org for a color pack, but most don't fit our current look.

I think it would be good if some users could find their favorites and perhaps post them in the graphics subforum. Then vote on the issue if needed.

I think I can get the the firehol control panel to close after a choice is made. Anti, what do you think? Anyone else? I'll experiment next week. (I'm going to a math conference this weekend and so I'll be busy having fun.)

john
plvera
I ran test3 livecd in an inspiron 5150 that belongs to my daughter and it ran perfectly!

wicd picked up wireless without any problem and it ran several applications from the livecd without any problems.

The wireless connection was great, particularly compared to my old inspiron 7500 which was a workout to finally get to connect wirelessly.

Pedro
masinick
Anti, from my perspective, this software is about as clean as it gets. I ran it both Live and installed on a couple of my systems. Once I got past the bum CD that apparently I burned at a speed that was too high to get all components properly on the media, the fresh burn at 10X did the job.

I know that if you are able to do so, a kernel that has broader hardware support would be nice. I appreciate that idea. Nevertheless, for me, what is there now is great. If it turns out to be final or close to final, that works for me. Perhaps it will have to be the 8.1 or 8.2 release that gets a kernel with better old system support.

Which ever way you choose to go with the final release, I support it and advocate this system. It works so well for me that I have recommended even the test version for other people to try out - which I've done for SimplyMEPIS 8.0 Beta 5 as well. Both are superior even in test form to some released software - Mandriva 2009 and Kubuntu 8.10 come immediately to mind - both MEPIS and antiX easily outclass both of them in quality, even in test form, so congratulations on the great job, and keep up the great work. I will do everything I can to test any candidates for release and review any new ideas that you and others may have. I very much appreciate this entire community!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks for the feedback and nice words masinick.

There has been a fix for the 2.6.27-7 kernel (grub wouldn't install) so the next release will use that kernel or a leter one if MEPIS uses it.
We are very close to a final release.
I think almost everything is there, it just needs a few minor changes, like a hibernate option at log off.

A kernel for old k5/k6/PI will have to wait. It will get done, eventually, maybe as masinick suggests a 8.1 edition.
OU812
I'll try and update the logout script tonight to include hibernate and suspend options. My wife is working late and I'm babysitting. Also have to do dishes. If not tonight, then tomorrow.

john
masinick
OU812 wrote:I'll try and update the logout script tonight to include hibernate and suspend options. My wife is working late and I'm babysitting. Also have to do dishes. If not tonight, then tomorrow.

john
Youse da mahn, John! We can wait. The quality of your stuff is well worth the wait! Between you, anti, and a few of the other fine contributers, things are lookin' up. Warren looks like he is aiming to wrap up SimplyMEPIS real soon, so we should have a lock on this version's kernel real soon.

Looking forward to the end result, but I can wait. The stuff I have now is awesome!
OU812
1. I thought aumix was to be on the iso. But I get a command not found error.

2. I was browsing through the applications directory in icewm and found an entry for rutilt. I didn't think that it was going to be included.

john
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anticapitalista,

on my laptop, using wireless (wicd) while out of town at a hotel hotspot, noticed my cpu had pegged 100%, since this is not normal, rebooted, and still had the same thing, went into controlcentre>wireless and noticed I had my home network essid in with wpa checked. Removed them put any in the essid and checked unencrypted, clicked apply and cpu returned to normal. Don't know if this could be an issue for others but thought the heads up on it might help.

cheers
oldhoghead