anticapitalista
Site Admin
In a word, no.

If I were you I'd keep your installed version and just do regular upgrades.
plvera
anticapitalista wrote:pedro, for networking, try in a root terminal

dhclient eth0 (or whatever your eth number is).

For resolution, have you tried F3 and choosing the resolution at boot/grub/menu?
Hi Anti:
Thanks for the suggestions. However, in the desktop with resolution and connectivity issues, neither F3 nor changing vga=794 at boot made any difference. Also, the dhclient eth0 did not work. I figured it would not since ceni does essentially the same thing.

I'll try the dhclient eth0 command on the laptop to see if it works, but again, ceni failed to work in that system also.

I guess there is something about the new kernel that does not like to play in my boxes __{{emoticon}}__

Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
pedro, sorry to hear about that.

Here is an experiment I'd like you to try if you have time and you are booting fromiso or usb.

Boot livecd as normal, then
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

(This will download the very latest Mepis kernel and firmware)

If you get an error for fimware

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-linux-free*.deb

Once that is sorted, logout and login and see if network is working.

Then if all is ok, install to hard drive.

The new changes should stick to install
plvera
Hi Anti:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just using a CD right now since it's easier to move between different boxes. I'll see if I can get a USB large enough to install antiX (as I recall I need about 2G?) or try to figure out the fromiso instructions, and they try your suggestions. Except for the hard drive install part.

Pedro
secipolla
Did you try drvr=vesa or maybe even drvr=radeon ?
plvera
drvr=vesa I did try (with pt1, but not the beta version), drvr=radeon I did not, so I'll try that too. That might fix the res issues, and maybe Anti's suggestions will fix the networking problems.

Also, I'm just happy to help with the testing; not really looking to install this new version since my boxes are running fine, atm!
thanks.
Pedro
clivesay
Not sure if this is where you want questions posted so please move if needed.

Anytime I try to get into the config areas I am getting"failed to run msystem as user root". Do I have to run any system entries via commandline?

Chris
secipolla
Hi clive, I remember someone had this problem before of not being able to launch MEPIS System Assistant from the Control Center (that's what you can't do, right?). First of all, please post the output of the command

Code: Select all

inxi -F
so we know your machine and what version of antiX you're using.

In the meanwhile you could try to launch it from the command line. Open a root terminal (or type 'su' in a normal terminal and then your root password) and launch

Code: Select all

msystem