anticapitalista
Site Admin
Now available antiX-M8.5-pt1-beta.iso and antiX-M8.5-base-pt1-beta.iso for testing.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Main changes/features:

* Latest 2.6.32 MEPIS kernel
* Completely different icewm/fluxbox menu layout (English only at the moment)
* iceape suite (for antiX-full) replaces iceweasel, xchat, xpn, claws-mail
* Remaster on the fly in live usb and install changes to hd
* Persistent live /home and/or /root
* some app changes in antiXcc

Please comment especially on new menu structure.

Added: Once installed, you will need to edit ~/.icewm/menu

The Application sub-menu was empty as the ~/.icewm/menu needs editing.
Change this line:

Code: Select all

menufile Applications /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/blam.png /home/demo/.icewm/application
To point /home/demo to your username.

(It is like this as ~/ is not used in icewm menu. Haven't found a way to automate this yet)

Edit: I just uploaded a newer version of the full antiX-M8.5 which fixes the icewm/menu problem and also comes with libgl1-mesa-dri needed for Intel chips.
dark-D
has anyone tried it on a liveusb ? i get to the limited shell on both iso's and with unetbootin it didn't work.
plvera
Hello:
I tried the live CD on my Dell Desktop and noticed several things:
1) during boot, got a fail msg at IRQ balance(?)
2) also during boot, several hdc, bad block errors
3) normal boot conditions, resolution was low and ram use was high. Tried increasing resolution from control center but did not see an option for higher res.
4) tried boot under vesa, resolution was still low but ram use was much better
5) was unable to connect to the net,using my ethernet connection. tried wicd and ceni

the menu changes look really good. I'll keep playing with it, and will try it on my laptop to see how the wireless behaves and also to see if I can fix the low resolution problem.

Pedro
secipolla
Testing full live-cd now. Looks good.
I booted in pt_BR so I didn't see the menu changes (I have to test John's package yet)
Some observations about IceWM menu (didn't go to Fluxbox yet):
- please change 'Conectar' under 'Rede' to 'Conexão' so it'll be in the same tense as the other menu items.
- 'Debian menu' under 'Ajuda'>'Outros' should be 'Menu Debian'.
- are you going to leave 'Usar Fluxbox' (Go Fluxbox) in the menu under 'Desktop'>'Alternatives'? I mean, shouldn't we logout before changing WMs?
- 'Multimídia'>'Áudio'>'MusicManager' is 'Gerenciador de músicas'.

I tried about ten different entries in grub (not grub-legacy) but couldn't boot from iso. I've seen on the net a guy that succeeded to boot sidux's iso (which looks similar to antiX since it uses fromiso cheat code but it has a boot=fll cheatcode too). This needs to be researched further so to know if it was me doing something wrong or if there must be some tweak to the iso ( I kept getting that Busybox error 'Bummer, could not run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory').

Booted with drvr=nv from extra options and in pt_BR and it booted fine and is working nicely.
Menu, keyboard and time settings are perfect as usual but I got an error message at boot time about loadkey being out of range and 'falha ao carregar mapa de teclado' (failed to load keymap).

demo@mepis1:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host mepis1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5-pt1 Marek Edelman 28 November 2009
CPU:       Single core AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (UP) cache 256 KB flags (sse) bmips 2935.27 clocked at 1467.012 MHz 
Graphics:  Card nVidia NV44A [GeForce 6200] X.Org 1.6.5 Res: 1024x768@70.0hz 
           GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A
Audio:     Card VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller driver VIA 82xx Audio at port e800 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network:   Card-1 Tiger Jet Network Tiger3XX Modem/ISDN interface at port c000 
           Card-2 Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver 8139too at port c400 
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 30.8GB (-) 1: /dev/sda Maxtor 6E030L0 30.8GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 16M used: 104K (1%) fs: rootfs ID:swap-1 size: 1.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 82 Uptime 1:10 Memory 162.8/1008.7MB Client Shell inxi 1.2.7 
Add-on:
ok, I booted in Fluxbox.
Same for its menu as with IceWM's. Please change 'Conectar', 'MusicManager', 'Debian menu' and also (already done in IceWM) 'Lousa' for 'Quadro' (shown in the screenshot while I was testing the app).

anti, I updated with a little fix the rox.mo file posted at
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post13621.html#p13621"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post13621.html#p13621"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false (the one there is updated). This iso came with the first, not fixed, one, so if you haven't done yet, please replace for the one attached at that post.

The gRun app looks nice.
secipolla
I noticed when booting again from the hd that the clock had changed. I think this always happens after booting antiX live-cd (but don't know why).

Edit- it had set the clock two hours ahead (to GMT), but it had a good sleep and booted with the proper time this morning...
dark-D
first of all, the mepis server is crazy 7-8 mb/s download speed, very good.
i bought a cd to try antix 8.5, this are my opinions you can ignore them and i do not criticize antix.
let me begin:
1. i think the new antix doesn't boot from liveusb.
2. on boot i get an fatal error about conexant sound when dev boot up. i get it both in the mepis kernel as in the liquorix one. i think this is from the kernel regarding the modem.
3. wicd doesn't see the wireless card, after i add it (wlan0) in the preferences it saw the nearby networks. i didn't connected to them because they are secured. i'll try later on my cousin wireless network.
4.rutilt didn't work something about not finding freqvency 22. after i used wicd to scan the networks and i tried to connect to one, rutilt started to work.
5.grun is pretty awful. the autocomplete is weird and if you try to autocomplete: gksu leafpad /etc/fstab the autocomplete will only work on gksu and not at the rest of the words.
6. the new menu, omg were to start:
a. as wonderful the control center is, i don't need it to be the first one on the list, the same goes for search. search, run and help should be in the same area and the control center in system. the first on the list should be the browser and file manager.
b. there is no file manager or terminal in the menu. only in the toolbar.
c. settings are not good and it confuses the user. because he will see settings and system. maybe put all the settings and system stuff under system.
d. system menu has the wrong items in it. editors and file managers are not system stuff. the tools i let them by.
e. in the fluxbox menu maybe rox should be the default file manager.
f. in fluxbox, terminal is at the end of the menu. if someone uses terminal it should be at the beginning.
g. editor opens fluxbox settings? i don't get it. and it's already in the control center.
h. where is the screenshot app? and when i tried alt+s in fluxbox it didn't worked.
i. i get that the applications menu is an automatic but it's pretty confusing. first of all i have to get used to it and second of all if a newbie looks for something he has to know the name of the app it's looking for.

about the menu, here is my suggestion:
terminal
browser
files (only one manager not two, media should go)
editor (this one i use very much)
-
the old menu with the apps made by anti not the self generated one
office
net
multimedia
and so on, i don't remember them all. maybe we should try to reduce them a bit.
only a system entry that should have all the settings related, control center and the desktop submenu
-
search
help
run
kill
you decide the order.
-
exit

as i said fell free to ignore me. i use my own menu, but i fell that the new one is very hard to use. and the most used apps should the first in it. the toolbar is very solid in icewm.

edit: omg i written a book __{{emoticon}}__
edit2: love the new icons and icewm theme. on the browser and new apps i have to play with them to have an opinion.
Last edited by dark-D on 30 Nov 2009, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
secipolla
Hi, ICE. You know your opinion will be considered (I know you're trying to not sound harsh).

I didn't try the new menu yet. But about the terminal placement in Fluxbox's menu, people that use a lot the terminal soon (at least in Fluxbox without a toolbar) learn the key shortcut (in antiX 8.5 base it is 'Super+C').
dark-D
thanks secipolla. i have alt+t on antix 8.2 don't know about 8.5

i have to admit that the apps sub-menu simplifies things a lot, but i don't know how much it will take to get used to it. i stand by the other comments.

i'ved tried goggles music manager. i have to say, wow, a nice addition to antix, now i can get reed of audacious. and i like the small player(press f11). imagination is sweet as well.

where can i get goggles music manager for antix 8.2? if it's a repo please post it. i only have the sid ones in sources.list. i have an idea that i can get it from mepis comm repo, but i don't have the address.
Last edited by dark-D on 01 Dec 2009, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks for the feedback so far. All will be taken into consideration.

ICE-M about usb stick. If you copy over the new iso file to an existing liveusb, make sure you copy over the new vmlinuz and initrd.gz as well.

MusicManager debs can be found here, last post.

url was:"http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23858&page=2&highlight=MusicManager"
linktext was:"http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showt ... sicManager"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

You'll probably need to do an apt-get -f install to get needed dependencies.
secipolla
Ok, I booted in English to fluxbox and set my keyboard with '# setxkbmap br'.

First of all, thank you, anti, the applications sub-menu is an (I would say essential) improvement. ICE, for you to understand: the applications sub-menu we have up to aX-8.2 is derived from Debian's menu and generated from the menu files in /usr/share/menu (through the package 'menu'). Some applications don't follow this system and as such don't appear inside the menu after installed. They use /usr/share/applications instead (which has .desktop files instead of menu files). This is a standard for Gnome, Xfce and LXDE, for example and I believe is the standard for the freedesktop foundation. So they appear in the sub-menus according to their settings in the .desktop files. If they appear in wrong places it's a bug with the app (although pretty easy to fix in the system by editing its .desktop file). PcManFM appears under accessories and system tools (as you may see in Xfce's menu too).
anti, in keeping this there's no need anymore for the 'Debian menu' help.

The problem ICE had with the screenshot app is because it's named antixscreenshot-en.sh and in the keys file there is antixscreenshot.sh. Its shortcut is still Alt+S.

I agree with ICE that the root menu should be redesigned. Terminal and editor are high priority apps along with the file manager and the Control Center could be set apart:
secipolla
Loged in IceWM.
My personal view is that I like the way anti set the menu part that goes from 'Applications' to 'System' (below that I find fine too but it's the same as usual). 'Settings' could be strange for people that don't know antiX's interface blindfolded like us. The old 'Desktop' name is more meaningful. I think 'System' is fine. While it's frequently used in a restricted sense, for me 'system' is the whole system.
I don't think I can judge the apps above 'Applications'. We that are used to antiX can just put what we like there. I think I'll find ok the way you come to set it.

Maybe I missed it but while I saw the link to ROX-Filer under 'System' in Icewm, I couldn't find a link to it in Fluxbox's menu.

For the screenshot app (and hopefully for the other antiX-apps) one of us could make a .desktop file for it (I'll have a look at it and post later - but anyone can do it in the meantime, I think it's a tiny file, but we need to add all the translations to be complete).

obs: just thinking loud, maybe antiX could set Conky with the keyboard shortcuts, like Crunchbang does. It's easy for the beginners. I have that set in my system and will post screenshots later.

edit- Icewm is looking very good with this theme and icons (unfortunately it only works with the newer versions by disabling the gradients).
secipolla
Hey, I found that app which creates .desktop files (under System>Tools) and made one for Screenshot.
It eventually went to the graphics category because at first it didn't appear in the menu but I had to logout for it to take effect (and by then I had added a few categories to it to see if it would work __{{emoticon}}__ ).
rokytnji
has anyone tried it on a liveusb ? i get to the limited shell on both iso's and with unetbootin it didn't work.
Just made my Live USB using Unetbootin Icem. Booted up OK on my Acer Aspire One.
Ceni, Wicd, and Rutilt do not see the wireless card on this Netbook. I noticed on Bootup (flashed by real quick), Fatal error about Realtek. But I think this Netbook has a Atheros Chip. I will look in Lspci In a second.

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
Funny I get a Fatal error message about Realtek and Wired Hookup is what I am posting with and is the only interface Wicd, Ceni, and Rutilt recognised. Though Rutilt just gave a error code 3 that no wireless interface recognised.

Big Change on the Menu and Control Center I see. I am just one of those old jarheads that go by"adapt and overcome" or as the new generation of grunts say"semper gumbi" (always flexible). So I have no opinion good or bad as far as how the menu is layed out yet. Will post some more later after going thru file managers, files, Desktops.
Happy Trails, Rok.
secipolla
Here's the sample Conkys for Icewm and Fluxbox (maybe its just a complication, maybe it helps newbies).
rokytnji
Ok. Last post for today running live.
1. Cheese Crashes a few seconds after opening (running live)
2. No Hotkeys working
3. Screenshot in Fluxbox won't open. Can't find screenshot in Icewm menu yet either. (my bad probably) running screenshot in root terminal just gives command not found wither.
4. ram running at 84mb with static Icewm Desktop. No browser open. CPU at 1 %.
5. No tap function with mousepad.
6. Wired Connection fine. No Wireless at all.

Will Test AntiX to USB Later.